The big switch

A

Anonymous

Do yourself a favor and break out the back of the pots so the fish can swim through. Other than that, looks great!

sandnuka

not only breakin out the back, but I would kinda bust them in half... personally think they look and stack a little better that way.... they get really sharp though, so you kinda have to sand them down.... but, thats just a visual thing I like, sure the cichlids will love it either way.

censeoflife

Yeah I broke half them in half or quarters', tried to just split them, but I had to take it how ever they ended up.
We shall see what happens when I start trying to knock some holes in these bad boys.. lol. I am gonna get a few more pots on the way home tonight anyway....

censeoflife

crack pottery

So I broke all my pots up and used a broke piece of lave rock to round all the edges off.

New stack shot
pictur10.jpg

Everyone was curious to see what I did as soon as my hands where out.
pictur11.jpg

Made a lil tunnel thing down in front here
pictur13.jpg

Side shot so you can see all the lil nooks to swim through
pictur14.jpg

The far corner got a few more caves too, since I had some left over.
pictur15.jpg

Thanks for the advice fishy friends! Keep it coming!

Mikey

Looks amazing! Nice job with the pots, I'm sure they'll love it. :D

Remember, when they do breed, you'll want a flat surface for them (but that will be a while!) :D

Keep up the good work!

censeoflife

Fishy Pics

Took a few pictures this weekend.

pictur17.jpg

pictur18.jpg

pictur19.jpg

Everyone is growing and digging away. The lil guys are about 1" now and looking good.

Mikey

That male is coloring up very nicely!! That is my favorite stage that the Saulosi go through...when the males turn from yellow to blue...Amazing.

Looks very healthy & content also. Well done! :D

censeoflife

:( looks like I lost a lil one today. Couldn't find the runt this morning and my gf took the tank apart today and couldn't find em' either, No body no nothing? The other 6 are looking good and have grown to 1.25". The runt was still not .75" yet. Still wanting to pick up a few more of theses guys so if you you see them at a store drop me a line.. thanks!!

sandnuka

sometimes the lil' guys get sucked up the intake in filters.... might wanna check that out.... Sorry to hear about the loss... good luck.

censeoflife

Thanks man, I will be taking a look tonight. I know he was there last night. Disappeared from one feeding to the next. bummed.

censeoflife

3 new fishies

Blue sierra had some Saturday, So I picked up 3 new ones. 2 x 2.25" females, and 1 x 1.5 male. I couldn't tell the male was one till I got him home and he had traveled with the females..

Adding them to the tank went well and watching the big boy vibrate and show his dominance was cool. Also he tried to show his stuff to the new girls too but they aren't interested yet. lol.

So mikey your boy has become the alpha of my colony. And, his color is great!

10 fish total so i'm good now and gonna enjoy watching my colony grow for a nice long time.

Thanks again for the advice.

Now I need hook up awesome environments. lol.

Mikey

censeoflife said:
So mikey your boy has become the alpha of my colony. And, his color is great!
8) I'm very glad. When I let him go he was JUST morphing into his blues. I'm sure he is going to look just like the picture to the right soon-------------------->

:D

censeoflife

Gonna be great, the whole tank already exhibits text book behavior, dominate male with claimed territory and a medium school of all yellows. It's my favorite tank in my house right now, girlfriend lays on the bed with me forever sometimes just watching them do their thing.

I'm debating on a whole new back round based on nukas' DIY #2 back round or just going crazy with more pots / hammer and marine epoxy

Betty

Staff member
Congrats on the saulosi tank. I've had mine for several years now and they have been a lot of "fun"! Of all the mbuna I keep, they are the only ones that bite me (hard enough to break skin!!).

sandnuka

I loved my DIY backgrounds.... the only disadvantage is that they do cause a drastic PH spike, so make sure you have them in the tank with water doing several water changes for a week or so, this way ph will go back down. :)