Severum collection

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I would agree if there were not 2 males in the tank. The pair are definitely one of each o_O
In that case, there's an obvious experiment to be done... To wit, if the female is laying what seems to be a normal clutch size of apparently normal eggs, any sterility problem is more likely to reside in the male. Time to give another male a chance...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
In that case, there's an obvious experiment to be done... To wit, if the female is laying what seems to be a normal clutch size of apparently normal eggs, any sterility problem is more likely to reside in the male. Time to give another male a chance...

I have 4 more growing out in the 220g so she wi have lots of choices soon.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My collection is now down to 2 H. Liberifer and one H. Notatus and one unsure. I moved the larger Liberifer into the 260g just before lights out in the room. He is definitely 12in and dwarfs everything in the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just 4 sevs, so no grow outs or any others then? Plans to bring more in?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Just 4 sevs, so no grow outs or any others then? Plans to bring more in?
I have the 3 grow outs but they are looking more like H. Efascitus everyday. They started out with small dots all over their bodies but the dots have elongated as they grow. H. Notatus males have small dots all over their body with some worming around the face. I will keep the 3 until I'm satisfied that they are truly not Notatus.
If I can find H. Notatus or H. Liberifer I will bring more in.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Had not intended to use the 60g as a hospital but the Notatus is acting wierd. She has clear ish poo and hanging out at the surface. Dosed paraguard and will see how she does.
PXL_20220126_040010600.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That sucks. Sorry
Wow, that was fast… sorry for the loss.
Sorry to hear about that; what happened? :(
Thanks guys. I'm not sure what happened. I did test nitrates in the 220g which are high (20ppm ish) so it may be that I have seriously screwed up and caused nitrate poisoning. With the continuous water drip into the tank I was hoping that it would help keep the nitrates down. The SD's which should be way more sensitive show no distress and the males are showing spawning colors almost continuously.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. I'm not sure what happened. I did test nitrates in the 220g which are high (20ppm ish) so it may be that I have seriously screwed up and caused nitrate poisoning. With the continuous water drip into the tank I was hoping that it would help keep the nitrates down. The SD's which should be way more sensitive show no distress and the males are showing spawning colors almost continuously.
Doesn't sound like a water issue to me, and 20ppm NO3 is not high. That was a pretty big fish, and I don't imagine you have any idea of his age, so...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Doesn't sound like a water issue to me, and 20ppm NO3 is not high. That was a pretty big fish, and I don't imagine you have any idea of his age, so...
She came from The Wet Spot ~5 years ago in their last shipment of Notatus. She was around 3-4in at that time. @FishBeast had her for 3yrs before he gifted her to me in Oct, 2020.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Split up the online trio. Moved the smallest to the 260g, middle to the 120g and moved the CL female to the 220g. The trio were getting feisty and lip locking already. The smallest one being the aggressor.PXL_20220128_032310333.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I passed on a chance to pick up a larger or multiple when I went to the Wet Spot earlier this year. So when I was in Pasco I decided I better not pass up another chance to get one. The large male is ignoring it so far. It’s out swimming and begging while the male hides.5212707E-98D4-4E42-891F-9832D29DD2D8.jpeg791CC1D1-FD91-4B0C-8ED3-AA996B8DCAEC.jpeg