Severum collection

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I emailed WS today to ask about H.N. availability. Apparently, the batch @FishBeast purchased from 3 years ago was the last time they had any. Currently, there are 10 other people on the list waiting.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Last time I got a quote from them I think shipping was around $55. That was for just a single 4" fish I was interested in. They do get some interesting stock in.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Last time I got a quote from them I think shipping was around $55. That was for just a single 4" fish I was interested in. They do get some interesting stock in.
Same quote on shipping and I'm really only interested in getting one fish. I did ask for pics of their stock.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The original H.L. did not take kindly to the introduction of a new member. I now have her in a large net with the lights out. I added paraguard to all the tanks were fish got moved around too.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
The original H.L. did not take kindly to the introduction of a new member. I now have her in a large net with the lights out. I added paraguard to all the tanks were fish got moved around too.
Do these species interbreed? Given that Neotropicals aren't very- er, discriminating- when it comes to mate selection, and also that these fishes look so similar superficially, I would imagine that this would be an issue, and yet, they are clearly sold as distinct species, so maybe not. Just curious.

In Africans, the biggest mess seems to be with the 'peacocks' of the genus Aulonacara. The females of all these species look similar, and both sexes are totally promiscuous (Google 'OB Peacock'), so unless you buy from a reliable source, you have no idea what you're getting. It's too bad because the various species are distinctly beautiful in nature, and that is being lost to the hobby. o_O

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The substrate spawners will. The H. Notatus might cross but I don't know for sure. The H. Liberifer is the only mouth brooding severum so I don't think they will. The pictures the fellow posted on his ad were not very good and even in looking at her when he first brought them to my fish room I didn't realize what she was. I'm really hoping the male settles down and will live at peace with her.

Edit: corrected over all latin name (severus) not correct.

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, I had to move the new severum to the 260g as the Lg male would not cohabitate.
Edit: Correct sp. of the new red hued severum unsure at this time.

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Hey @FishBeast do you have any juvenile pictures of the H. Notatus that you gave me?
Also, made some edits to the thread as the one new severum I was tagging as an H. Liberifer is not an H.L. I am still trying to figure out which species.