Searching for the perfect Trimac

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been a bit and forgot to update @lloyd378 picked up the female to breed with his big male.

I have picked my two keepers to grow out a bit more to see which will be the final keeper. So three males are ready to go and get rehomed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Update on the trimac.

I am down to two males. These to me are the cream of the crop. The two best looking ones are really going to make it tough to pick just one.

So I started with 6, sold off the one female that came in the batch first. Then I just sold off three to a hobbyist this weekend so this is now down to the two.

I was super happy that the guy who got my trimacs was a hobbyist who knew exactly what he was getting and how to care for them. In fact he had over 900 gallons in tanks! Just to show how much this guy appreciated what he was getting, he had to drive an hour and a half one way to come get my fish! So three hours round trip.

Im not sure if I want to move the two trimac into a divided 90 gallon for a bit to grow out or to give them their own space. In the divided tank they really show nicely because they are showing their best colors with a competitive male on the other side of the divider. If I do put them into the divided tank it will make me choose my keeper sooner since they are starting to get to be a size where the divider tank will be too small.

Will attempt to get some pics soon to update again.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
... Im not sure if I want to move the two trimac into a divided 90 gallon for a bit to grow out or to give them their own space. In the divided tank they really show nicely because they are showing their best colors with a competitive male on the other side of the divider. If I do put them into the divided tank it will make me choose my keeper sooner since they are starting to get to be a size where the divider tank will be too small...

I guess you don't have the possibility of putting them into adjacent tanks, so you could have the best of both worlds. I discovered years ago, during my wild angelfish breeding project, that this is an efficient way to provide distractions and /or competition without allowing physical contact. My 75's are set up in such an arrangement, which is sometimes useful.

IMG_3435.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you don't have the possibility of putting them into adjacent tanks, so you could have the best of both worlds. I discovered years ago, during my wild angelfish breeding project, that this is an efficient way to provide distractions and /or competition without allowing physical contact. My 75's are set up in such an arrangement, which is sometimes useful.
Yeah that too would be nice but not possible with current set up. the 90's are separated by a good 4 ft distance. The big devil in the top right at times seems to show interest in the fish movement in the 46 bowfront but the trimac in the upper left never does.
IMG_20210731_140942944.jpg
As of now there is a trimac in the lower right 65B and one in the upper left divided 90. If I move the trimac out of the 65B into the split 90 then it opens that tank up for something along with the 30 gallon. OR if I move the hairy puffer into the 30 and the trimac into the divided 90... I have two 65B's to restock, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sold off my three trimac to a nice guy who came from Aberdeen for them. So down to two...

This is the one that I felt had potential
IMG_20210822_133232350 (1).jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Trimac number two always looks dark
39B1C807-7297-4453-81D3-1076ED6EE3DF.jpegIt has a strange eye pigmentation on the one side.
6BC3AC54-B7C6-4BB0-8D10-CED7B5486BCB.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Really at a crossroads at this moment. I have not removed the divider from the 90 so it has one trimac in one half. The other trimac is in a 65B. So choices…

1. Move the trimac out of the 65B into the divided 90. Grow both fish for a while and then pick one, sell the other and then pull the divider. (Leaves a 65B and 90 to do something else with)

2. Move the trimac out of the 65B into the rhino pleco 90. Pull the divider out of the other 90 so both trimac now have a full 90 to grow out in. Then grow both fish for a while and then pick one, sell the other. (Leaves a 65B to work with)

3. Sell both remaining trimac off altogether… kind of an option since they just are not that interesting. One trimac is kind of skittish the other has this weird eye pigmentation that just looks “off” to me. My last trimac had strange health issues and was very skittish so he was rehomed. (This option would open up two 90’s and a 65B for other fish)

Not that Im looking for a “glass banger” but just some interaction like with my pearsei would be nice. The trimac are not very interesting or interactive so I am thinking of option 3 very seriously.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I think you just need an Oscar in your life and you’ll be fine

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think you just need an Oscar in your life and you’ll be fine
Been leaning towards another Bumblebee from Wet Spot… I dont know what is up but something in my set up just spooks every trimac Ive attempted now. Shadow or movement from windows or a lack of movement being in garage? Whatever the case the trimacs just have not been very exciting.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, we had talked about fish in lower tanks vs those in taller in the past. Right now the elongated trimac in the upper 90 where the old trimac you had got from me lived, is also a bit skittish. The other one in the 65B on the bottom actually is a lot calmer. He has a cave at the moment that he can hide out in but really is pretty good about not darting around afraid of shadows. I want to move him into an upper tank but am afraid he will change change for the worse.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, we had talked about fish in lower tanks vs those in taller in the past. Right now the elongated trimac in the upper 90 where the old trimac you had got from me lived, is also a bit skittish. The other one in the 65B on the bottom actually is a lot calmer. He has a cave at the moment that he can hide out in but really is pretty good about not darting around afraid of shadows. I want to move him into an upper tank but am afraid he will change change for the worse.
If you put them in the same tank, they may focus on each other more than people in the room.

more if you keep them separate, then maybe you need to bring in some fish that swim at the top to show the trimacs that there is nothing to be scared of

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
If you put them in the same tank, they may focus on each other more than people in the room.

more if you keep them separate, then maybe you need to bring in some fish that swim at the top to show the trimacs that there is nothing to be scared of
Yeah the current fish in the divided 90 was bolder when there was another trimac on the other side. He is skittish now. With two fish in there you are right, they did focus on each other.
I tried big Buenos Aires tetras, a school of 10… the trimac were bolder but just killed them all. Not to eat, just to kill. Maybe a convict tankmate? The bigger trimac did pretty well with the Sagittae but again focused on other fish rather than people.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Pulled the divider out of the one trimacs tank and he seems less skittish right now. Gave him a nice big solid hide and it really seems to have helped. So now my final two fish each have a 90 to themselves. Still the goal is to keep just one…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I have both trimacs in their respective 90 gallon tanks they are getting to the point where I think I can say I might have picked my keeper....

The more elongated one to me is the one I like based on shape and general looks but it reminds me of my old fish that was so skittish and not very interactive. The other trimac with the eye pigmentation issue is all trimac in behavior but the eye and dark coloration make it a bit less desirable.

So which one am I picking? I would have to go with the darker colored one with the eye issue. It is not effected by the eye thing just not 100% red on the one side. But this one seems to have a killer personality, does not dart way or shy by any means so Im thinking this is the one.

I feel like the tank I have the elongated looking trimac in is cursed, lol
Something about this tank just seems like the cichlids Ive kept in it are just weird. Maybe I need to get something very outgoing like an oscar to test this theory.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
As time progresses the one trimac is steadily showing itself as a lot more outgoing. It does not seem to spook, is very aware of whats going on and is just hands down the more responsive of fish. While the eye pigmentation bothers me a little, the fish is what I want out of a trimac otherwise. The elongated fish is very awesome in general but just not as interactive and skittish in nature, Ive already had that with the last trimac so still pretty solid decision that this one may go.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
As time progresses the one trimac is steadily showing itself as a lot more outgoing. It does not seem to spook, is very aware of whats going on and is just hands down the more responsive of fish. While the eye pigmentation bothers me a little, the fish is what I want out of a trimac otherwise. The elongated fish is very awesome in general but just not as interactive and skittish in nature, Ive already had that with the last trimac so still pretty solid decision that this one may go.
As an experiment, you could swap them. Place the skittish one in the others tank and see if they act differently.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
As an experiment, you could swap them. Place the skittish one in the others tank and see if they act differently.
Been tempted to try it. The fact is the trimac that is skittish is in a dark graveled tank with a different view than the other in a light graveled tank. Weirdly the one in the light graveled tank has not done any digging in his tank either... whereas the other (skittish one) has dug and rearranged a lot. I wonder if the giant pleco in the light gravel tank helped too? The dark tank has a little BN pleco but I could swap it out with a slightly larger L001 sailfin.

Madness

Staff member
Been leaning towards another Bumblebee from Wet Spot… I dont know what is up but something in my set up just spooks every trimac Ive attempted now. Shadow or movement from windows or a lack of movement being in garage? Whatever the case the trimacs just have not been very exciting.
Then stick the one you like most in the 300 and give it some activity ;)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Then stick the one you like most in the 300 and give it some activity ;)
lol, no need the pearsei is very outgoing AND its still a little baby! That being said its close to the size of an adult trimac…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I did this today. Operation trimac swap has begun.

So this will tell me if the one tank is cursed or if its just the fishes personality… well not cursed tank but something in its location or whatever that makes it difficult for a fish to settle in.