Searching for the perfect Trimac

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Well the trimac with the good personality seems the same. The cursed tank does not seem to have any effect, lol. The other one I cant really tell if he is less skittish or anything just yet.

I really am sad that the one with the good personality had the weird eye pigmentation issue. I cant stand to look at him QQ
I had asked @lloyd378 opinion when he stopped a while back and he expressed exactly what my gut instinct was and rehome this one.

The more skittish trimac is very cool looking with its sleeker body, elongated fin trailers and overall awesome shape. This is not the big bulky looking trimac you usually see. For this reason alone I want to keep him.

Anyway still a process but now more confused as to who to keep. I already have multiple 'wet pets' so I dont really need another but it sure makes for a much more fun experience when the fish is responsive to you in a positive way.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well there just might be something to the cursed tank... the trimac in there is not as outgoing. The other trimac in the tank with the light gravel and less hides seems to be doing pretty well. I may just have to keep it after all.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Well there just might be something to the cursed tank... the trimac in there is not as outgoing. The other trimac in the tank with the light gravel and less hides seems to be doing pretty well. I may just have to keep it after all.
I'm convinced that ambient light makes a huge difference. I have two 100 gallon tanks in my fish room that are about 6 feet apart, and are set up similarly, but skittish fishes are very happy in one tank and very unhappy in the other. In general, I think that most of us over-illuminate our tanks, and wild fishes especially are not accustomed to ambient light coming at them sideways. o_O

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I'm convinced that ambient light makes a huge difference. I have two 100 gallon tanks in my fish room that are about 6 feet apart, and are set up similarly, but skittish fishes are very happy in one tank and very unhappy in the other. In general, I think that most of us over-illuminate our tanks, and wild fishes especially are not accustomed to ambient light coming at them sideways. o_O
See that's what's weird to me... the 'cursed' tank does not get a lot of the natural sunlight like the other and I would think it had the better location. But something in the way the tank sits may create shadows or something. This triamc does not seem as phased but it is noticeably different to me in this tank as opposed to the last. This tank will likely end up having my WC Oscar in it when the trimac is rehomed. So far this fish is pretty fearless but may the cursed tank will break him too.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...But something in the way the tank sits may create shadows or something...
This is exactly what seemed to be happening with several very skittish Tanganyikans that I brought in a few years ago: they were totally freaked by people walking in front of a window that was on the other side of the room. When I moved them to a more secluded tank (and was careful not to move abruptly in their vicinity) they calmed down considerably. A year or so later I was able to move them back into the original tank that had been so problematic, and then they were fine.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im stuck with the tank location but not as to the stock or the one other thing, substrate color. I was thinking of going with a light substrate when I move out the trimac.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I made the call... the elongated one is my keeper and it will stay in its tank and the other will go. I have been in touch with a fishkeeper who responded late to my Craigslist ad a while back for the trimacs. He is making room to bring the other fish in, so it is spoken for. Once the trimac is gone from the 90 gallon I will move the WC Oscar into that tank with maybe a pleco or some sort of catfish as a tankmate.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well my buyer seems interested for sure, he has been keeping in touch and is getting an 80 gallon set up for my extra trimac. Im eager to move him out and focus on the one I have left.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
At this point, I’m thinking he’s mad at you…. Did you tell him you put him on Craigslist?!? Haha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
At this point, I’m thinking he’s mad at you…. Did you tell him you put him on Craigslist?!? Haha
No, this one is my keeper. He is a lot more outgoing and much of the skittish is gone. He just sports the stripes a lot right now. Does not seemed stressed or anything.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My two trimacs are doing well. My keeper is getting very bold and does not react to my hand as much when I reach up to the top to drop in food and is quick to eat off the surface. the other trimac has always been bold but in my 'cursed' tank is a bit more timid. I just cant get a good sale on my one fish. today I got a person of interest but they were hours away and were asking if I had my free red devil still and they would pick up both. Well when I told him the devil was gone then he wasnt willing to come for just the trimac. Once this trimac goes I will move the Bumblebee Oscar into that tank and then try to get a red wolf fish for the 65B

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Still have two trimac… have had some interest in the one Im selling but it just fell through. I know the price is more than fair with a 5”+ F1 fish for $20 being a deal. I think Im going to try and get some better pics of the fish this weekend and try to repost. The pics I have up now are just a bit blah.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, well another one last night responds... wants me to reconsider shipping. I plainly said in my ad I would not ship. I am not equipped to ship and guarantee live delivery. So I redid my ad to state that. I guess Im trying to update pics this weekend to see if that gets any more reaction to the ad.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
How’s his eye on the other side?
Its not as noticeable, seems like it’s fading. Last I really looked hard at it it seemed like the two white spots were down to barely one. Though I want to try and get a pic of it too.

This one has got the personality for sure! I know I cant keep two but this one might be a contender. But now with the new pic on Craigslist, it will probably sell fast, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sure enough, new pictures and interest in the fish. Supposed to meet him tomorrow for pick up. Interestingly this person was one who expressed interest before but had to back out…

If I sell this one then I can get fish moved around and finish my fish room stocking!