Searching for the perfect Trimac

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Without pics, how are we even to believe you?!? Haha

***that means we want updated photos too!
Did someone say pics? Better late than never

Female is in a 65B with new gravel in her tank.
IMG_20210616_185747181_HDR.jpg
Trimac #1 in divided tank, actually looks nice considering how much they all beat on each other.
IMG_20210616_185815914_HDR.jpg
Trimac #2 in divided tank. This one was getting beat on by 4 other trimac so it didnt have a chance. I dont think the tail will grow back right. It will have a split for sure.
IMG_20210616_185849383_HDR.jpg
Trimac #3 in divided tank. This one doesnt look to bad either.
IMG_20210616_185830333_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wait there's more...

This was the male that was interested in the female. Kind of an elongated body
IMG_20210616_185939931.jpg

The dominate largest male in the 90. he has a big bulky build on him.
IMG_20210616_190349716_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210616_190405958_HDR.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Put two up for sale.

One of the goals is to move the female into the 30 by herself to grow out. Hopefully can get enough size on her to breed with the big male @lloyd378 has. Eventually I will only keep one of the males but tough call since the bigger, bulky one has the better personality but not as interesting looking. The other elongated trimac looks cool but does not have a good personality. Ugh, will see what happens with time.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well the drama at Max’s Cichlids reached a level where the website was closed along with the facebook page. So glad I got my trimac when I did.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This is the biggest one with the nice personality. Not super outgoing but the best of the group. He has that big bulky build but not a lot of red or interesting "flowers" on him
IMG_20210620_202825533.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
It’s going to be hard but you got to give it time to develop…. The personality really starts to come in around the 8-9” mark

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
It’s going to be hard but you got to give it time to develop…. The personality really starts to come in around the 8-9” mark
Probably also need to supplement some krill in its diet so that the reds really start to develop

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
With no puffers in the house I keep forgetting about the frozen krill in the freezer

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Now my garage is dominated by trimac, lol. Though a 90 is open at the moment for something. I have been adding krill and using up some frozen bloodworm up on them. Without the constant bickering they are looking much better. Fins are healing and scrapes are filling back in too. Need to get some updated pics but surprised at how the ones for sale are actually looking the best with reds coming in. Really want to start moving some of these guys out. Likely will need to talk to Aquarium Paradise to see if they would take the two or put them up on the dreaded C-List...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Aquarium paradise will always take them!!!
If I didn’t currently have two myself, I’d definitely take them off your hands, but I have my keeper and still have your cull ( I reached out to Ron about it, but haven’t heard back). Right now I’m housing all the extra puffer food ( unfaded dovii) with him. They dart in and out of a sunken ship that he can’t get inside of. Works out perfectly. Haha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The racers have to dodge all the fish on the track or else they would spin out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
When I separated the trimacs the one looked beyond help
IMG_20210616_185849383_HDR.jpg

Sorry for the rough image bit you get an idea that its looking better
IMG_20210703_101536645.jpg

Im super excited to see it healing since this was was the best looking. The tail may actually heal up and it may be a great trimac.

Im tempted to take in the two trimac up for sale to Aquarium Paradise so that I can move this guy into a bigger tank. I can put the female into the 30 and then put the healing male into the 65B.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
When I separated the trimacs the one looked beyond help
View attachment 9446

Sorry for the rough image bit you get an idea that its looking better
View attachment 9447

Im super excited to see it healing since this was was the best looking. The tail may actually heal up and it may be a great trimac.

Im tempted to take in the two trimac up for sale to Aquarium Paradise so that I can move this guy into a bigger tank. I can put the female into the 30 and then put the healing male into the 65B.
That is so cool. Hope he turns back into a stunner.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know if I want to say these fish are aggressive or just dumb. With dividers in place these fish are trying to get at each other with the fish on both sides showing rubbing on their snouts from trying to get at each other through the egg crate, lol

IMG_20210708_182258538(1).jpg
When I first put the ones in the divided 30 their lips had some whiteness too from surfing the divider trying to get to each other.