Searching for the perfect Trimac

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
He is looking great! I thought you said he wasn’t as nice as the others, but I’m really liking his looks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
He is looking great! I thought you said he wasn’t as nice as the others, but I’m really liking his looks.
Like his leaner, elongated look. Like that the flower above the pectoral fin has a little black below the typical flower spot. He has a weird elongated flower on his one side. The other side looks awesome with like a row of six spots but not very distinctive teardrop on that side. Just a bit lopsided when it come to pattern is all

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Any tips to getting these two breeding? I was thinking to replace one of the flower pots with one that did not have the bottom cut out.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
While doing water changes this morning, I installed the pre-filters over the Aquaclear 110 intakes. This way if the happy couple finally do breed, the fry will have a better chance.
You really need to keep on top of the pre-filters in this kind of setup. The AC110's draw so much water that the pre-filters get clogged up in no time, and the flow rate will diminish to a trickle. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You really need to keep on top of the pre-filters in this kind of setup. The AC110's draw so much water that the pre-filters get clogged up in no time, and the flow rate will diminish to a trickle. :(
Yeah, Ive noticed that even though fairly large pore, the sponges collect junk pretty quickly. Been watching them as I do my water changes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I have been introducing more pellet foods into the diet. The two dither trimac eat pretty much everything now but not seeing the dominant male or female take to prepared foods yet. I was concerned about getting weight on all of them first so the diet had lots of frozen treat foods at the beginning. Using small sized Omega One floating cichlid and Dainichi sinking color fx right now but am looking to finish off other stuff like Cobalt too.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Updates on all the trimac.

65B - This one was the largest, and first to get moved out and is looking good now. It had wedge itself under some decor and had scraped itself up pretty bad with one eye all white looking. Not much for pattern or color but not overly shy or reclusive. Really good personality and seems to be eating sinking pellets. Lots of potential as a wet pet.

65B - This was the smallest of the bunch but had the best patterns hands down. It has healed up from all the beatings and the fins look much better. It is hiding in the back upper corner of the tank and looks almost black most of the time. I can see it swim around when its evening and the blue light is on but otherwise the tank looks empty. I had taken out some of the wood because it had wedged itself under a piece hiding so hard I knew it was going to hurt itself. I plan on adding some large tetras or something to the tank to see if that will help. Maybe a cheap convict or two might help.

90g - This one has the 4 trimac, 3 males and 1 female. During the day with lights on the dominant male and female own the tank and get along very well but still no eggs. I did a cold water change this weekend trying to trigger something but no difference. Something is holding them back... I have the two flower pots in there but the bottoms are cut out. I wonder if I added one without the cut bottom if they would like that better? Strange thing is when the light switches to blue mode the dominant male treats the female like the other two trimac and has her up in the upper corners of the tank. Very weird but he has not hurt her.

Goal for now is to get the happy couple to breed once and then raise out a batch of fry. I still want to keep just one male in the end but it is hard to tell which, too many to choose from, lol. The dominant male in the 90 is pretty cool looking but kind of skittish, the one with the best pattern in the 65B is even worse. Actually getting bored with having all these same fish. I still need to get the divider up in the 90 and start to separate the fish out, heal them up, sell some of them off and just keep maybe 3 for a while and see what I can get from those.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped at Petco on the way home and got eight Buenos Aires tetra to add to my 65B trimac tank. Hopefully it will encourage the shy one to come out more.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Project Trimac update. The Buenos Aries Tetra did help the shy trimac some... He found a way to kill 8 of the 10 and not hide in the corner as much, lol. I need something a bit tougher for him. This one was the awesome looking one. Now its fins have healed it looks a bit blah with the damage done by the other fish leaving it with a weird split tail and a bit jacked up dorsal fin. Its not a show fish by any means.

The breeding pair just wont do the deed. They act as if they will but wont commit to anything but to terrorize the other two trimac and the bristle nose pleco. I pulled out one pot with a cut bottom and put a full pot in to see if that makes a difference. If no action soon Im going to start the separation of all the fish and start getting them all healed up and start selling off some soon. Im tired of having all these tanks of grow out trimacs when I already know some are not going to be keepers for me.

Thats about all for now. Hopefully more to report soon

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Without pics, how are we even to believe you?!? Haha

***that means we want updated photos too!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Without pics, how are we even to believe you?!? Haha

***that means we want updated photos too!
LOL, I know, right? I have been so busy with yard work that I really have not had much "tank time". I get one cleaning in a week and barely get to feed them... let alone take pictures ;) Will see what I can do about that.

Im kind of ready for something else and am thinking of separating out the female at this point. The solo male I pulled out first is doing well in a 65B at the moment but really lacks the red color throat or much of a cool pattern but really good personality. The male thats bonding to the female is the looker but personality wise not much. the one I like from the get go got beat up and the fins dont look that great anymore, so not sure what to do...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well a big "Im Sorry" to @lloyd378, no trimac pics to update. Have tons of yard pics of plants to show off though, lol.

Hopefully I have some more fish time on my hands soon so I can work on this project again. I really am getting to the point that Im tired of waiting on the trimac pair to do something. Ive tried to accommodate them to help get the process going but they just are not even trying right now. I need to pull the female from that tank and things might calm a bit. The other two 'dither' trimac are looking rough. I need to try and save them and at least get a few dollars for them to help recoup expenses.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
With all the males in one tank its a mess but at least the aggression seems more predictable now. The female is by herself for the moment in a 65B and her tail is slowly healing. I think her male companion did a number to her when the blue lights were on. Again a weird thing to watch how different the fish act with the blue lighting. Trying to rehome my arrowhead puffer so that I can move the female into the 30 gallon. Then some tougher decisions but rehoming of the RTM female and Rhino pleco will open up tank space too. This will allow me to finally separate the trimacs out some more and try to heal all of them to sell off one by one. Still looking to keep one male b ut not been super impressed with them as a species in general. Seems mine are always so skittish... anyway thats it for trimac updates

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like my timing for purchasing the Trimacs was good... Seems to be some DRAMA going on at Max's Cichlids. On the Facebook page there is some talk of some infidelity and divorce. Sounds like fish will get sold off and property may go to wife. Max himself sounds like he may move to Panama, and there was some talk with local breeders there. So he may stay in the fish game in a different capacity. Sad to see the situation happen but Im happy I got my fish before all this started to go down.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Added substrate to the divided 30 and moved my potential seller into this one. The largest male that is pretty outgoing is in a 90 and the next male down is in a 65B and one female is in a 65B. This should give all the fish time to heal.

The female lost the bottom portion of her tail with the lower spline part needed to grow back in. The one that was the best looking when it came in is white on one side from what appears a descaling and tail torn to shreds. Ive commented how bad these fish were with each other compared to my red devil grow outs but its just been unreal.