Our Axolotl(s) Laid Eggs!

cichlid-gal

Re: Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

PokeSephiroth said:
cichlid-gal:I'm surprised the place where you bought the tiles, didn't cut them for you... Hrmmm...

MorganEA: Am I missing something here? The babies and adults look the same to me. LOL
I actually bought those tiles for another tank project and then didn't use them. So they were just sitting around and I decided to use them for this tank. I was really happy that they fit so well. So no complaints here.

Oh nice! Yeah, I had recently bought a 12 gallon long (Mr. Aqua) tank at Aquarium Co-Op, and figured I could put my axolotl in there for the time being. Then Cory mentioned how you placed yours in a 33 gallon long tank, which I kinda wish I had gotten instead, LOL... alas, I'm happy with my 12 long. :)

I might have to go tile shopping soon! =P

Here's a quick video of Axl Rosalotl/Axelina Jolie in her new 12 Gallon Long Tank:
(I seriously though s/he was going to go after the worm, but s/he ended up not eating it at all. Hahaha)
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/KBPfj0qlGJw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

cichlid-gal

Ha ha ha... she went into hiding. She looks good, no curled tail so you must have got that figured out. I know they don't like much current in the tank. I have a sponge filter over my output (I run a Fluval 306 on that 33G long and have cut a long sponge piece to act like a diffused spraybar). Works great.

KaraWolf

lol!!! Its like he/she was thinking it is worth my time? Hmmmm. You're watching me so so not even going to bother!!

cichlid-gal: Huh... I thought that it was curled, because the veeeeeery tip of the tail (like the last 2 millimeters) is kinda curved in almost like a 90 degree angle.

I have a Penn Plax Cascade 300 Internal Filter, with a spray bar that's spraying water right up against the glass, to diffuse the strength of flow. :D

KaraWolf: LOL!! I was actually tempted to make some kind of audio dialog with something similar to that, alas, my voice is not talented enough to make a voice that suits what I think axolotls sound like. HAHAHA!

Here's a better video where you can see the "curled" tail... I'm starting to think that it may have just grown "wrong" and is permanently like that... although, I will keep a close eye on him/her :)

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/za-pjmLkbRw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

That's a pretty good possibility! The adult my mom has only has 3 toes on one foot, and due to the 'fluidity' of their genetics (growing back limbs, organs, etc) things like missing or extra limbs isn't uncommon.

LuminousAphid

I saw one of these for the first time last week at Denny's in Totem Lake, and I sort of want to get one... although I would like to start from a baby and not an adult, so if anyone has extra babies at any point, I will totally buy one! :D They are very cute looking

Also, do they breed in captivity? I guess I assumed so with that picture of all the babies

Betty

Staff member

Very cute! I looked into axolotls a few years ago, but I didn't think I would be able to keep the water cool enough for them in the summertime. My house gets quite warm during those months.

LuminousAphid: I'm pretty sure they've been bred in captivity. There are tons of youtube videos on how to breed them, and showing the eggs hatching and whatnot. :D

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/IfG4AFL3_hI" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Ive consider keeping these, but in the end the bichir fever hit. Maybe in my next tank.... I might try out some of these.

Very cool little alien Poke! :alien: 

DMD123: Oh man, I am SOOOO tempted to try my hands on keeping a Bichir, but I don't want to keep it in a 55 gallon tank. :\ . . . someday, I will keep one in a large large laaaaaaaarge tank. :D

A

Anonymous

These are awesome little critters. Glad he's settled in Poke!

MRTom

Do post pics of the straightened Axelina Jolie :)

MRTom: I'll do you one even better! :) Video! :D
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/YPp3sI6laxM" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]