Our Axolotl(s) Laid Eggs!

This topic is for general Axolotl care, and what have you. I will start off with my little one.

So, I got my first ever axolotl from bronzefighter, and I've fallen in love with it! I can't believe I've never taken care of these amazing creatures before! :)

It's currently about 3 1/2" long and it's the cutest thing I've seen! *squee!*

I'm starting to obsess over these things, and I wish I had more! Unfortunately, I only have a little 15 gallon tank, so I'm limited to just keeping one (No, I don't want to house more than one juvie axolotl in that tank, because they will eat eachothers limbs, no, I don't care if their limbs will grow back, it's still stress on them, so I'd rather just keep one.)

We've currently given it two names, if it turns out to be a female, we will call her Axelina Jolie. If it turns out to be a male, we call it Axel Rose. Cliche, yes, but catchy. :D

Here are some pictures. Take note, that I replaced the huge pebbles with smooth sand, so that I don't have to worry about it choking on a rock. =P

It does have a slightly curled tail, which usually means it's stressing out, but I think it's just because I've been keeping him in the garage where temps go below 50*F... s/he's now inside our house, in an unheated tank, so hopefully s/he will recover and de-stress a bit. :D

Anyone else taking care of Axolotls? Share your little critters on here! Stories, pictures, videos, anything! :D

Re: Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

Bill: . . .. did you not read the entire post? lol

Here are some pictures. Take note, that I replaced the huge pebbles with smooth sand, so that I don't have to worry about it choking on a rock. =P

Anyway, I already knew about the gravel being an issue, that's why I used huge sized pebbles, so that I knew it wouldn't try to eat anything that could fit in its mouth. Seriously, those pebbles were as big, if not bigger than its entire head. But I already knew I was going to replace it with sand shortly after.

BillHN

I rarely read everything xD I just saw a picture of him with gravel xD
I apologize.

XD I do the same thing on facebook, I make a comment on someone's photo, and then I fail to realize that there are like 20 other comments that may have already addressed the same thing I was going to type. LOL.

cichlid-gal

Congrats on your new wet pet Angelo.  Axolotls are awesome.

We have two Axolotls now housed in a 33G long tank.  We got our first one at the GSAS picnic over the summer...here's a picture of the little guy that came home with us...my grandson named him "Chad"

This is the tank that we set up for Chad...we have since removed the slate piece on the far left as I didn't like the fact that I couldn't get it flat and I worried about stuff getting stuck underneath.

We have also learned that "Chad" should be called "Chadette".  We just adopted a wild type male at the most recent GSAS auction.  I think we lucked out and he is sized appropriately and so far seems to be doing OK together.  

I do have some worries about the new male as his previous food was entirely raw chopped earthworms.  I feed carnivore pellets, fly pellets, and bloodworms.  I am pretty sure he is not eating any of those still so I'm waiting to see what transpires here.  Either he will get hungry enough to eat them or he may get sick.  My biggest worry is that he will try to eat a piece of Chadette in his hunger.  I'm thinking to put a piece of eggcrate in the tank but I haven't taken that step yet.  He still looks healthy and she is getting fat because she's eating more than she should.  It worries me.  I'm not sure how to handle this.

cichlid-gal

Yipee...the male ate today. I dropped the carnivore tablets in front of him and he "bit"...yah!

MikeB

picture of some of my babbies

1456725_730126060350519_1083861856_n.jpg

So Adorable!! AHHHH!!!! I'm totally digging your tank, Donna! Cory and I were talking about Axolotls today, and he mentioned how you put tiles on your 33 gallon long, tank, and I was like "... omg that's genius!!"

Glad you're enjoying him/her/it/the thing. The adult axolotl that I gave my mom is pretty cool, I almost wish I kept it. He was hand fed as a juvie, so he now associates fingers with a food source, and has latched onto the tip of my finger multiple times when I'm rescaping or cleaning her tank.

OHHHH That's so cute!!! :D
Got a question for ya though, I've noticed that the one you gave me has 4 whitish dots on its head...they look uniform, so I figured it's nothing wrong, but I just wanted to make sure. Maybe you know what they're there for?

Also, I think it's still a bit stressed, as the tip of its tail is still curved :( . . . not sure what else I could be doing to make it destress...

PokeSephiroth said:
OHHHH That's so cute!!! :D
Got a question for ya though, I've noticed that the one you gave me has 4 whitish dots on its head...they look uniform, so I figured it's nothing wrong, but I just wanted to make sure. Maybe you know what they're there for?

Also, I think it's still a bit stressed, as the tip of its tail is still curved :(. . . not sure what else I could be doing to make it destress...
hmm I don't know. I know that they get pigment on their heads, as the adult I had got used to the new environment he started coloring up a bit and now has spots of pigment on his head and back that look like freckles or dirt.

As far as a curved tail I couldn't tell you. I'm sure someone else with more experience could help you on that, or you could check in at http://www.caudata.org/forum/.

cichlid-gal

PokeSephiroth said:
So Adorable!! AHHHH!!!! I'm totally digging your tank, Donna! Cory and I were talking about Axolotls today, and he mentioned how you put tiles on your 33 gallon long, tank, and I was like "... omg that's genius!!"
Thanks Angelo...the slate tiles fit perfectly other than right at the end I had like a 1/3rd inch overlap. I don't have a tile cutter so I removed the last one.

cichlid-gal:I'm surprised the place where you bought the tiles, didn't cut them for you... Hrmmm...

MorganEA: Am I missing something here? The babies and adults look the same to me. LOL

MorganEA

Lol! the adults have filled out more and don't look so strange, the babies look like tadpoles.