Our Axolotl(s) Laid Eggs!

cichlid-gal

Re: Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

Pneumostome said:
cichlid-gal said:
OK...here are my guys...Chadette and Marley
How big are these guys?  They look absolutely enormous!!!
They are probably about 9" each now....Chadette just wouldn't turn around and pose for the photo shoot...sorry

DSC_0489_zps2088da45.jpg

DSC_0495_zps40920f3a.jpg

Whoa, I did t realize that there was a heater in there. What's the water temp in there?
I'm struggling to keep the water in my tank below 65*f...its currently around 68-70*f

cichlid-gal

I think that 68-70 is OK Angelo at least from my readings. My temp is 69.5 or around there. Our house is 68 degrees during the day and 65 at night so sometimes the heater will kick on.

MikeB

pics of my babies

1470240_730125927017199_498276417_n.jpg

1456725_730126060350519_1083861856_n.jpg

1470147_730125770350548_1764538990_n.jpg

Yeah keeping these guys is a lot of fun and if anyone wants to know how to breed or interested in babies I spawn them from time to time...

Oooh, interesting! I'm glad that they can do well in those temps. I do have some backup frozen water bottles in the freezer in case the water gets too warm in his tank (might become a problem once summer hits, but at least I'm ready for it. LOL!)

I recently added a little feeding dish in Axl Rosalotl's tank, to prevent *most* of the mess from spreading around in the tank, and it seems to really keep the food in place! It's great for live blackworms, that way they don't burrow into the sand or any decor, and they all stay in the same place, just waiting to be eaten.

I'm happy to say, that Axl Rosalotl has finally discovered the food dish! :D

I still enjoy hand feeding him, that's for sure :D

MikeB

if you raise the eggs warm and hatch them warm and keep them warm then you wont have issues with them in the summer weird thing though and it should matter but I don't get 50/50 sexing that way but sure pays off in the long run.. ive had guys at 80+ for more than a week no issues and yes the water bottle trick is awesome for summer months especially if you normaly keep them cooler..

cichlid-gal

I have to hand feed Marley...he just won't hunt down food...silly lotl. Now Chadette...she's an eater...no problems there. She will find any leftovers in the tank and clean them up for me. But I do watch for uneaten foods and siphon them out right away if they are not eaten in short order so their water doesn't foul.

kingneptune

Hey Poke, I know that your axle no longer has a curved tail but I'd like to share my theory. My axle had the same thing when he was smaller. It looked like just the tip of his tail was curved/folded/bent. I'm fairly confident that its just how axie tails look when they're growing. Its since dissapeared and looks like yours.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Man, every time I see these; whether it be pics or in person , they intrigue me while at the same time freak me out. Great pics throughout this thread!

Chiisai

Cant these be kept with med/large fish? I know they would eat guppies... but what about a fish 2-4"?

kingneptune said:
Hey Poke, I know that your axle no longer has a curved tail but I'd like to share my theory. My axle had the same thing when he was smaller. It looked like just the tip of his tail was curved/folded/bent. I'm fairly confident that its just how axie tails look when they're growing. Its since dissapeared and looks like yours.
Wow, awesome! Thanks for the reply :)It seems that Axl Rosalotl's tail is nice and straight now, doesn't seem to have that odd little portion that's curved anymore. But it's really reassuring to hear that from another Axolotl keeper! :)

Chiisai: Can't be kept with medium fish, as the fish will nip the Axolotl's sensitive/fragile gills, because they look like worms to them (the fish).
Snails can even be dangerous to axolotls, because when axolotls sleep, the snails can sneak up to the axolotls and eat the gills as well (I've heard that axolotls are so non-responsive when they're sleeping. I could be totally wrong though)... Bigger axolotls can even accidentally eat the snails, and if the snail is big enough, it might get stuck in an axolotl's stomach or digestive tract. (EEP!)

Chiisai

so where the hell do these things live that they dont get picked at by fish, eaten by snails ect? Are these man made?

They come from Mexico, and heck if I know, if they get eaten by fish or not. lol.

I'm just going with what I've read online, that when mixed with fish in aquariums, fish tend to nip at the axolotls' gills.
Here's a good read about them and their origin:
http://all-about-axolotls.blogspot.com/

cichlid-gal

Guess what I found when I was doing the water change today? Jelly bellies...the tank was FULL of them. They were everywhere. Chadette must have been laying eggs for hours...OMGosh. I pulled a few and put them into a small tub for us to watch and see what happens but really I didn't know what I was doing so I may have damaged them in the process. Anyway...just a couple to let the grandkids see the progress of how this works (and me too). I don't want to raise up a bunch of these but its fun to see the process at least once. I kept wondering why Chadette had such a larger belly than Marley. Now I know.

Pneumostome

Using tile is a great idea! I ended up using Akadama soil. They are like little soft pebbles. If my axolotl gets one in her mouth, it just turns to dust.

Part of my tank is also covered in cholla wood, which is easy for her to walk around on. Unlike other types of wood, it doesn't leech tannins which is helpful.

IMHO, I prefer substrate than a bare bottom set up. I've done both now and my axolotl seems to be able to get around much better with a substrate. You do have to be careful with what you use though!

Pneumostome: I just realized, I think it would also be cute if you did some kind of axolotl drawing! :D I realize that this should be in your other topic, but I figured that people might be like "..but wait, I thought this was about shrimp?" lol...

So, I figured I'd dodge any confusion between the two. :D

Pneumostome

That's a great idea! Since axolotls are endangered, they could probably use some more awareness :D