Other Hobbies?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Is it a hobby if you do it every day? Cooking is one of my life-long passions, and here is our non-traditional Christmas meal this year- Chili Crab, the national dish of Singapore (where my girlfriend grew up). It is hot!-

View attachment 13399

View attachment 13400
In Singapore, do they use dungeness or a different species? That looks delicious.

We use dungeness for everything (cioppino, crab cakes, in the shell, pretty much ). If I need a second choice it’s rock crab.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
In Singapore, do they use dungeness or a different species? That looks delicious.

We use dungeness for everything (cioppino, crab cakes, in the shell, pretty much ). If I need a second choice it’s rock crab.
Dungeness crabs are only found on the West Coast of North America. The crabs that are used in Indonesia and Southeast Asia are called 'Mud Crabs,' an unflattering English translation. They are about the same size as Dungeness crabs, but they taste more like Maryland Blue crabs. Pretty much any crab works in the Chili Crab recipe. I can send you my version of the recipe if you want to try it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Dungeness crabs are only found on the West Coast of North America. The crabs that are used in Indonesia and Southeast Asia are called 'Mud Crabs,' an unflattering English translation. They are about the same size as Dungeness crabs, but they taste more like Maryland Blue crabs. Pretty much any crab works in the Chili Crab recipe. I can send you my version of the recipe if you want to try it.
That what I was wondering… I thought it wouldn’t be that cost effective to ship them over there.

As for the recipe, I’d love it

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
New home theater AV Receiver came in a day early! So you guys know what I will be doing after work? lol. Lots of set up with the new Denon having to hook up to my network and then downloading the latest firmware and finally running Audyssey to set up the speakers and then hopefully having enough time to watch a movie to test it. Already have my test movie in mind, the last Mission Impossible movie...

John58Ford

Never used this but have heard a little about it. Does this run pink noise and "thumps" with a central microphone to automatically set room gain and time alignment speaker by speaker or is it more of a helper that still relies on your input to get a decent outcome? I worked with an old eclipse unit that had a built in RTA that could do magic for phase and time alignment but never seemed to nail the gain and q factors. I always thought it was probably the quality of the microphone in the circuit.

With my home system I'm still in the dark ages of taking measurements for time alignment and making small manual eq/gain adjustments with single channel pink noise tracks. Luckily I haven't had the internal hold up battery die in a couple years but sadly that means I won't remember how to navigate the menus next time.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@John58Ford, Actually this will be my first time actually using Audyssey. I had tried to use it in the past but I think I may have had too much room noise and got errors so I just manually set everything and tuned it by ear. I think the newer one is supposed to take room noise into consideration. The new receiver comes with a mic to plug in and run the program with.

Sadly I forgot I had to take my nephew to the airport last night so I was tired and didnt even get the new receiver unboxed, lol. Old people problems, forgetting.... what was I talking about? The hope is after I get home from work tonight I can set it up.

@sir_keith, as I was eating my lame bowl of cereal this morning, I saw that delicious looking dish and now want something good for lunch.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
@John58Ford, Actually this will be my first time actually using Audyssey. I had tried to use it in the past but I think I may have had too much room noise and got errors so I just manually set everything and tuned it by ear. I think the newer one is supposed to take room noise into consideration. The new receiver comes with a mic to plug in and run the program with.

Sadly I forgot I had to take my nephew to the airport last night so I was tired and didnt even get the new receiver unboxed, lol. Old people problems, forgetting.... what was I talking about? The hope is after I get home from work tonight I can set it up.

@sir_keith, as I was eating my lame bowl of cereal this morning, I saw that delicious looking dish and now want something good for lunch.
I'm confused about this Audyssey thing; I thought all high-end A/V receivers had their own software to optimize the system to the room through a calibration mic. I have a feeling I might regret asking this?

As for the lunch, it was Butter Chicken (which is basically tandoori chicken with a tomato-chili-butter sauce), steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower with mustard oil, two kinds of Dawaat Basmati rice (one with potatoes and cumin; one with butter and garam masala), sliced radishes pickled briefly in rice vinegar, and toasted naans. Did you notice there's a Beck's in progress, and a wine glass waiting patiently in turn for a Provençal Rosé? I'm looking forward to Spring already.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused about this Audyssey thing; I thought all high-end A/V receivers had their own software to optimize the system to the room through a calibration mic. I have a feeling I might regret asking this?
Thats all it is, just a simple mic that is supposed to set up everything for you. My 15yr old marantz had it but I could never get it to read correctly, figured there was too much room noise. Im hoping the newer Denon unit can figure it out better. Just saves some time with the tape measure and then trying to dial it in by ear. Though my previous set up sounds pretty nice considering it was tuned by ear...

This time my living room set up will be focused more toward home theater and not music. I really like my JBL studio speakers and laptop for music listening. Plus I have all my CD's now digital on my laptop and it really is pretty impressive imaging with those studio monitors or listening with my sony studio headphones.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The included mic also had a tripod for you to set up in your listening positions
IMG_1712.jpeg
The test movie I chose was Free Guy. Dolby Atmos was outrageous compared to my previous surround sound limitation of Dolby Digital EX. It had a huge soundstage compared to the older Marantz.

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The included mic also had a tripod for you to set up in your listening positions

The test movie I chose was Free Guy. Dolby Atmos was outrageous compared to my previous surround sound limitation of Dolby Digital EX. It had a huge soundstage compared to the older Marantz.

The mic that came with my A/V receiver is designed to mount on a camera (remember those, before iPhones?) tripod, which also works pretty well. When I do the calibration I have to close the door between my TV room and my fish room because of 'ambient noise.' :oops:

John58Ford

ambient noise
The ambient noise issue and other room oddities are part of what the software in Audyssey MultEQ-X and some other software based RTA programs is supposed to fix. I guess I was misunderstanding the programming of @DMD123 s new system as I might have been thinking of the "pro" system?( I don't know the difference and the Audyssey website is not helpful)

Conceptually an automated real time analyzer is a simple thing, you put a microphone in, the program plays some noises looking for an expected outcome, receivers built in CPU processor will be able to math it out. Most receivers have fairly low power processors and can only truly analyze 12-16 target frequencies at a fairly low resolution and sampling rate, typically they are toned to common issues like one speaker being corner loaded and another being an open plane so it would adjust phasing and gain accordingly. This worked ok in car audio but less so in homes as all of our rooms are different and the obstacles are more diverse in sound signatures (like our fish rooms running water, or glass at unusual angles for example).

I had heard a friend a few years ago talking about running Audyssey on a laptop, which sent calibration signals to the receiver, and listened at an astounding sample rate over 64+ frequencies. The computer based software would then show a graph and recommendations to sample, finally sending a data packet to the receiver with 3-4 preset tuning modes. Maybe new receivers are so cpu loaded they can play crysis (old nerd joke there), or maybe there's more difference in the consumer and pro versions than I assumed? I know he was very invested in his system and built a dedicated space in his home with folded horn drivers and other toys but I never really watched the process or asked. The Audyssey website doesn't really clear this up for my now curious mind.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The current Audyssey definitely does more than just measure distance and set crossover frequency to the speakers. There is a difference in the sound curve for sure. Right now I just set up the basics and turned on a couple features but will likely toggle them on/off to see what my preference is. While I know my speakers are pretty neutral sounding, with the current set up it seemed a bit 'bright'. While the Denon is not as 'laid back' sounding as the Marantz, there was a difference with the Audyssey settings that I really want to tone down. I may turn the Audyssey settings off and try to see if i can manually adjust it so that I can use the EQ feature to tone done the frequencies that can make it a bit fatiguing. But the surround sound itself was very enveloping with sounds coming out from areas that just were not there before. This aspect is something that will really be enjoyable.

The receiver itself was very interesting to set up... You basically plug it in and follow the on screen directions. So in one way very easy to set up. But then there is some fine tuning I still need to do with things a bit difficult to find where the setting are. I need to change the crossover setting to my front speakers so I can get the towers and sub working together when listening to stereo music. I like the 2.1 sound much better. I need to go in and check something with the HDMI settings because it does not like my older DVD player (I use as a CD player), which I really only need to access the players menu features, so maybe not too big a deal..

For a unit that retails for $1699, you would expect a little better remote... but it is so lame, not even back lit. But they do have an app that you can add the Denon remote to your phone or tablet and it really lets you access a lot of hidden features.

Will play around with it a bit more this week but overall very impressed with how enveloping the surround sound is. Really am thinking to add 'height' speakers to the room now.

Oscars Rule

Well I have a few things I like to do besides fish. I draw , paint and tattoo. I have my wood shop that I build all kinds of this like my tank stands with marble tops fancy and the one I really like is hiking and camping with my Kona dog!

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_220139558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231222_220139558_HDR.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230423_113905929.jpg
    IMG_20230423_113905929.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220828_153257849.jpg
    IMG_20220828_153257849.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 4

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been on a cleaning up phase on my wiring behind the AV/ Receiver. I have 8 foot speaker cables on the 3 front speakers and they are way too long. No issues with the sound quality just hard to tuck all the extra wires out of sight. So I got some new locking banana plugs and “speaker pants” to dress them up and shortened the center channel wire as my test. Looks pretty good and got a big spool of wire out from behind the TV stand.
IMG_1719.jpeg

Now I need to do the left and right channels. I recently ordered new shorter IEC power cords too. Starting to look cleaner and less cluttered.

For fun started watching the most recent Dune in preparation for the part two movie. I love the new Denon receiver, the Dolby Atmos is just outrageous. The sound is so enveloping, and I dont even have the height speakers yet.

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Ok, as I sit here getting ready to eat some of last winters catch with my boys, I'm going to have to give in and ask you to send your recipe. This looks too delicious and I only know about 4 ways to serve crab, yet have dozens of meals worth every season.
Will do; I'll trade you the recipe for a crab! :cool: My girlfriend, who grew up in Singapore, taught me about this preparation; it's often called the national dish of Singapore, and is easy but crazy good.