new to the site and have a couple questions

Spyral

Re: new to the site and have a couple questions

It's called an egg spot. It's for mating purposes in mouth brooders. During spawning, the female lays her eggs down on say a flat rock and the male comes over and fertilizes them. The female then picks them up with her mouth. The spot is meant to mimic an egg so the female will try to pick up the spot on his fin, thinking it is an egg. This way, she gets a mouth load of fish juice and the eggs get fertilized.

If you ever see Africans spawn (mouth brooders) they kind of swim in circles with their heads near each others sexual organs and they kind of shake.

That is fish sex.

Spyral

hah hah, just saw Betty responded too..we know fish sex here.

Betty

Staff member

Spyral, I'm glad you described the fish juice, etc. I left that part out . :lol!:

Madness

Staff member

Very nice Spyral. Couldnt have said it better myself.

2 things: Jags are aggressive, and can be very agg., but not to the extent of the Dovi. But really, all cichlids are and can be very aggressive.
You have, in my opinion, these are a few of the most aggressive:
Dovi,
Jag
Festae
Red Devil
Midas
Red Tiger Mota
Grammode
Umbee ( mainly because of their enormous size)
Buttikopherii sp.. :)
Beani
Istlanum
Convicts (for their size, if a convict was to grow to 12+", I believe it would thrash anything)

Not in any particular order. I own every single one of these, and they do well together. They are not all together, but I pick and choose who lives together.

Second thing. I CAN NOT stress this enough. DO NOT USE WARM WATER FROM YOUR FAUCET TO FILL YOUR TANKS. :) I learned the hard way. You H2O tank is full of poisonous metals that will cause all kinds of issues with your fish. Always do cold water changes. If you must add warm water, then use a heater for a few hours before you add it.

gobluecichlids

that blue male african is a male psuedotropheus msobo deep

Here's a pic of mine I had (wild male), the females are yellow.
019-2.jpg

thefishdaddy

wow this must be the craziest fish fact i have learned soo far lol i need to get my fish game up lol i know alot but not enough to satisfy lol but thank once again madness saved mefrom doing that i ended up going to midway and picked up a 300watt for only 15 bucks lol i was like sheesh everywhere else wants 30+$ but ok ill have to look into just getting maybe a baby dovi and see if i cant raise him to be semi aggressive i just dont want him to mess with my new arowana mainly my jd has been trying to nip at him/her so i keep having to give him a time out and i think my jd took a little nibble out of my buddies oscar!!!! just saw it today so i think he might have to go =( we will see but thank you everyone for the answer to that question it has been bugging me for a while

GilbertonFisher

madness said:
Second thing. I CAN NOT stress this enough. DO NOT USE WARM WATER FROM YOUR FAUCET TO FILL YOUR TANKS. :) I learned the hard way. You H2O tank is full of poisonous metals that will cause all kinds of issues with your fish. Always do cold water changes. If you must add warm water, then use a heater for a few hours before you add it.
I never even thought about that!! Good thing to bring up.

Madness

Staff member

I had several high dollar fish get hole in the head. Thats how I learned it. I had a water guy come out and test everything. He was the one that told me that the H2O tank was probably the reason. After several diff tests, and countless hours of research. Lets just say now, "NO MORE HITH!!!!! :cheers: :punk: :spoton: :beer:

thefishdaddy

wow that is crazy i didnt know that what so ever thank you once again your a lives saver lol for me and the fish lol

shua

thefishdaddy said:
oh well thats not as much as i thought they would be due to how rare they are when it comes to lfs but imight have to see if my buddies dad can import one for me lol im workin on getting a 210 gal tank hopefully next week well see if the guy flakes how much to peacock basses run for typically and last question can i have a dovi in a tank with anything else lol
a 210 is only suitable for a pbass for a short while they get good sized there are a few down at aqueristworld that are well over three feet. but back to the question they jump from 35$ @2" to 1000$ even though i have not seen them go for a G for a while but heres a link om all the different kinds to check out http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50367

thefishdaddy

wow i had no clue they could get that big i was thinkin maybe a foot at that...lol i guess i need a bigger tank like A 450+gal if i want killers lol but that thread helpedalot too thank you i think ill just see if i cant find a different fish of interest and ask about it

Pleco_Party

thefishdaddy said:
wow this must be the craziest fish fact i have learned soo far lol i need to get my fish game up lol i know alot but not enough to satisfy lol but thank once again madness saved mefrom doing that i ended up going to midway and picked up a 300watt for only 15 bucks lol i was like sheesh everywhere else wants 30+$
Yea i get all of my heaters from Midway, They are the cheapest in town.

And "fish juice", I hear that's a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids. :lol!: