new to the site and have a couple questions

thefishdaddy

new to the site and have a couple questions

ok so hi everyone lol but anyway i wanted to know if i would be called nuts for what kinds of fish i have all in one fish tank and if its even safe haha

anyway ill post pics up here soon got to get my camera but this is what i have goin on in 1 tank lol

2 common plecos 1 approx 10" other is like 6"

pangasius shark app 3.5"

1 golden dojo loach approx 5"

1 dojo loach approx 6"

2 tiger oscars both around 5-6"

1 african brown knife bout 4"

2 african cichlids forgot names 1 is like 2" other like 3.5"

1jack dempsey approx 3"

1 japenese alge eater approx 3.5"

1 kissing fish unfortunatley approx 4"

1 african albino clawed frog only like a inch hes a baby

and the newest addition a 4" silver arowana

im working on parting with some of the fish but i figured id ask and see if i were to be labled crazy for this haha thanks

Kaosu

Re: new to the site and have a couple questions

what size tank is it?
and what is your filtration?

adal

I gotta say thats pretty crazy man, I cant believe that you still have all of them alive.
just the tiger oscars by themselves need at least 80g tank by themselves, that arowana get huge, over 3ft!! and need massive aquariums and the fact that you have frogs and gouramis with all these aggressive fishes blows my mind. I wanna see pics!
and how big is your aquarium?

sidekicking

I wouldn't say crazy just sounds like you don't care about your fish
I'm also curious on how big of a tank you have all this fish in and what kind of filtration your running with such huge bio load

hbluehunter

Same question as the others.. What's your set up ??
With those fish you have you're probably gonna end up with an Oscar, JD, pleco's, and catfish.. And a silver if the Oscar and JD don't kill it..
Could end up with no fish if you don't have your water peram's perfect..

Ashley

I agree ^^ I wouldn't say crazy, more like cruel. I hope you have a tank at least 180 gallons? To start because the arowana will outgrow a 180 in 6 months- a year.

Also, I don't know anything about cichlids but you said you have africans in there? I'm pretty sure they're hard water fish where everything else is not.

Spyral

Sounds like you have a little bit of everything in there! I would say, pick something you like and run with it, you currently have too many species that require different things.

thefishdaddy

well they all seem to get along fine the jd did a littlefin nipping at first to the arowana so i took the arowana to my buddies place for a little bit till i get a bigger tank but im super embarrassed to say a 55 gallon tank im lookin for a new tank as we speak tho and looking today some the fish i over exagerated a little on size but not by much but im running a eheim canister filter but all the fish are really healthy and dont mind eachother i know im in need of getting rid of alot of fish lol my buddy and me just started getting into fish so we started off with cichlids and my catfish ive had since i was little but then started liking the more aggressive fish and people just kept adding more and more fish to the tank so now im looking at getting rid of my loaches african cichlids kissing fish knife fish possibly jd if he keeps trying to nip on his bad days and im trying to find a tank on cl for deals but havnt seen much i almost bought ashleys tank but ran into some problems but im gonna post some pics in a little bit i got my camera

sidekicking

Oh wow dude that tank is seriously over stock
what are your water parameters right now??
definitely star looking for new homes for some of your fish

if you like cichlids either go with s/a cichlids or africans but not the two in the same tank

Ashley

Yeah that's really not fair to the fish. I'm sure some people on here would be willing to give them good homes!

Or I have a 250 gal for sale Hehe

GilbertonFisher

Wow. The important part to recognize here is that you are wanting to learn more and fix the problem!

thefishdaddy

yea im new at wanting to start this as a hobby but im working on getting rid of some my fish and will post them after i consult with my buddy but also how much did u want for ur 250 gal? wasnt it like 800 but all i know parameter wise is 7.8ph is normal in my tank and temp stays between 76-80 and can anyone explain how to clean sand lol i just swapped to sand and cant find a video how to clean it the lady at petsmart had no clue rofl

GilbertonFisher

I've read to use a syphon with chop sticks rubber banded to the bottom long enough to move through the sand the purpose is to supposedly break up dead spots that can contain deadly gases. I've never don't it though.

sidekicking

Temperature
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Alkalinity
General
Hardness

This are the what they call water parameters
invest in a FW testing kit

Just use a gravel vac to clean your sand
also buy some malaysian trumpet snails they will help stir up the sand and reproduce like crazy

thefishdaddy

yea ive been needing to buy one of those test kits buut ok ill try the rock vac and hmmm ill have to see if i can find some of those snails but im bout to upload pics in like 5 minutes and if anyone knows the proper name to my catfish id appreciate it ill post a pic cuz i googles it and i found something called a ojudo catfish... so i think that might be him ive had him since i was little and forgotwe even had a fish tank looked in there when we were moving out and saw him and 2 others still alive in like 12 inches of water that was gross and there was random stuff in there like 3 batteries hes the only one that made it which i find crazy

Madness

Staff member

All I can say is WOW. :affraid: I offer any help you may need. If you have any questions regarding anything, just ask. I am in Puyallup on South Hill, so I am not far from you. I have been doing this for quite some time now. Feel free to ask, anytime.

thefishdaddy

i appreciate that thank you very much ill be sure to ask next time i have a question :D

thefishdaddy

here are somepics of my fish anyone know what the catfish is? but anyway i wasnt able to get a pic of my frog loaches knife fish or bichir they like hideing in the new plants i just got and are groing like crazy lol

adal

If you really want some malaysian trumpet snails, I can give you some for free Im taking down a tank and Im sure there are hundreds of them in the gravel. I also have a ton of yellow apple snail babies, they eat algae and dead plants. rehoming fee $1 for a little bunch of them.