new to the site and have a couple questions

adal

Re: new to the site and have a couple questions

The plant looks like some kind of hornwort, pretty good at removing nitrates, since it grows so fast and absorbs nutrients mainly from the water. actinic light does not benefit or hurt plants. for freshwater plants you want a bulb with a k rating more than 5000k but less than 10000k, 6700k being the best. actinic light benefits corals since it provides them with the color range they need to grow better, I've heard of pink bulbs in freshwater planted tanks and how they help plants but never done it myself.

thefishdaddy

i think that is wat it is called i got it from an importer in everett along with my frog and arowana but im gonna have to look into other lighting possibly could i use my marine glo light and a 6700k bulb at same time so i still have some blue but its also good for my tank

thefishdaddy

anyone know what a good cheap heater would cost me for my 55 gal mine is crapping out my water stayed around 78 and its down to 72 and my fish are kind of acting weird can i take water out and add warm water or will that pput them in shock

shua

your cat is a Pimelodus blochii

a four lined pimodella

via MFK member treldib

thefishdaddy

thanks very much its been bugging me trying to figure it out do you know what kind of cichlid my blue one with black stripes and yellow fins is there is a pic on page 2

shua

to be honest, and not to hurt any ones feelings i couldnt give a half a shit about african chiclids sorry. this is somthing you will have to ask mikie or spy

thefishdaddy

im not a big fan of them anymore either lol never looked into them ive recently found out i like aggresive fish lol killers are peacock bass aggressive at all because i think they are awesome lol but i almost put my buddies dovii in my tank to just end everything and restart because i was gettin mad at people bringing home random fish and putting them in my tank and getting mad because they got eaten

thefishdaddy

oh and where did you get your atf from i want one soo bad when i get my new tank lol

shua

there all gone but i got mine from king discus he is out and there only the vetula witch dosnt get to big but absolutely stunning color tail

thefishdaddy

yea i was readin about the vetula ones i like them alot and more suitable for a fish tank lol idk much about keeping a goliath one haha but how much did he/she cost so i kinda know how much id need to spend on one ive never seen them but ive yet to see any shops up north lol

shua

i got him for a good deal lets just say me and kevin get along pretty well his brother at aquerist world in wight center was selling them for 125 and i got mine for a good deal

sidekicking

I could be wrong but your yellow cichlid looks a Maylandia crabro and the blue one looks like a pseudotropheus demasoni both mbuna for sure

thefishdaddy

oh well thats not as much as i thought they would be due to how rare they are when it comes to lfs but imight have to see if my buddies dad can import one for me lol im workin on getting a 210 gal tank hopefully next week well see if the guy flakes how much to peacock basses run for typically and last question can i have a dovi in a tank with anything else lol

thefishdaddy

thank you side i was looking for names because i need to find them a new home i think lol i think i need to rehome my jd those two cichlids and couple otherfish might try to see about getting rid of 1 oscar if not both they are pigs not letting my arowana eat to much

Betty

Staff member

Your first African pictured is some sort of Melanochromis, possibly interruptus, but I've seen other blue and black Melanochromis species with similar markings that are often mislabeled and sometimes hybrids.

I would say the second one, yellow with some blue, is a Metriaclima lombardoi, also known as Kenyi. It looks like a transforming male.

Madness

Staff member

To answer your ? about the Dovi. The answer is yes and no. Dovi are smart and they are predators. I have heard some serious horror stories of dovi at 4-5" taking out large cichlids twice their size. My breeding pair of dovi, (male 16", female 11") share their tank with a convict and a 15" pleco. And they have fry right now. I also had 3 dovi ranging from 3" to 5" in with my large cichlids and they minded their own business. In fact my smaller female grammode and loisellei would constantly pick fights with the dovi and mess them up. I have recently removed the dovi and placed them in a diff tank, just in case they start going off.

But I really think that it is how you raise them. My dovi have all shared a community tank since each fish was 1" big.

thefishdaddy

thank you very much betty and thanks mad because i was looking at some vids of them on yt and i saw too many vids of dovi vs others lol i just like how they look lol are jaguar cichlids as aggressive?

Mikey

Betty said:
Your first African pictured is some sort of Melanochromis, possibly interruptus, but I've seen other blue and black Melanochromis species with similar markings that are often mislabeled and sometimes hybrids.

I would say the second one, yellow with some blue, is a Metriaclima lombardoi, also known as Kenyi. It looks like a transforming male.
I agree that the blue one is some kind of Melanochromis, but I think it's most likely a M. cyanerhabdos (Maingano) or a Johanni. There's a possibility that it may be a hybrid. The yellow one you're spot on Betty. A male Kenyi :)

thefishdaddy

wow you guys know alot about them thank you very much i was wondering tho like almost all african cichlids i see have this little yellow dot on there tail or the fin right under it what is it just a marking that all have or something?

Betty

Staff member

That dot, or in some cases, many dots, are called egg spots. A lot of people think it's a way of determining gender, but males as well as females can have them. One of the reasons for them being there might be for spawning purposes. When a pair are doing their spawning "dance", the spots mimic the actual eggs. I remember reading somewhere that females prefer the males with more egg spots and produce more eggs with them. :D