new to the site and have a couple questions

thefishdaddy

Re: new to the site and have a couple questions

oh that would be awesome!!! im gonna research them real fast and are they capable of living in sand?

adal

Yes they can, I have them in all my tanks. they look like little cones and they barely ever come out of the substrate, they eat leftover food in the gravel and keep it oxygenated, great for planted aquariums. apple snails get kinda big and they clean the tank 24/7, they also eat any dead plant matter and leftover food. I also have some ramshorn snails same as apple but little.

thefishdaddy

that would be awesome id appreciate it ima do a little research on them but can they live in sand? just wanna make sure because idk if freshwater lobsters can but 2 of them have died since ive had sand lol

adal

sand is the perfect substrate for them. they are also good for keeping your sand aerobic, without ever touching a single root or plant. Alot of people dont really like them because they consider them a pest, but Ive never felt like they were one in any of my tanks

thefishdaddy

yea the ladies at sumner pets told me i probly shouldnt get them one time because they just repopulate and take over the tank but i know it cant hurt besides even if they tried eating the 2 plants i have in my tank they grow sooooo fast i dont remember what they are called but ive had 2 bundles for like 2 weeks and it has grown a good 5 inches loland sorry for saying same thing twicelol didnt realize there was a page two haha

Adonijah

You jack dempsey looks sick. are those atinic lights on your fw tank??

thefishdaddy

no i have a 48" marine glow light for right nowit makes my tank look hella good at night because i have white sand and it brings out alot of my fishes colorsand the light was cheap lol 18 bucks for the light bulb and like 10 for the 48" thing from walmart

Adonijah

All pieces came from walmart? I didn't know they had aquarium lighting.. I guess they have everything.

thefishdaddy

no the bulb came from pets mart the lighting fixture came from there tho its actually really nice if u see the new pic of my cat u can see how it makes him look with no flash my frog looks awesome since hes albino lol ill post a pic

sidekicking

yup those look like atinic lights
is that what you are using to grow your plants?

larry.beck

Actinic is a particular color range of lighting, typically associated with saltwater so far as I know. Typically a secondary color that highlights particular elements within the tank, such as blue fish.

It's not a bad thing, although I'm not sure how good it is at growing live plants. Doesn't seem to be hurting yours, though, from what you said. :)

thefishdaddy

oh ok well itisnt hurting mine at all lol like i said i have no clue what they are but they are like weeds almost haha i like them tho i just need to get a better set up decoration wise im thinking aboutdoing somesort ofriver rock thing