New Pearsei in the house!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Stray voltage.... someone with a handful of knowledge runs with it and makes a huge deal out of the subject. This is pretty much the conclusion Ive come up with. The internet really help this myth get out of hand.

For everyone out there thinking that there should be zero volts try the meter test and see what you find. Every piece of equipment showed voltage in the tank including LED lights that do not come into contact with the water in any way. In fact even with every item unplugged from the wall I still showed a reading of 2 volts. With every item plugged in (2 FX5's, 2 300wt in line heaters, 18w UV, LED lights, air pump), I had a reading of 34.9 volts. Each item added voltage reading as they were plugged in. If you showed a true 120v in your tank you would have a problem. What all of you who test your tanks will be reading should be the natural voltage that occurs from running the magnetic pump motors, transformers and what not required to run your tank.

If the theory is that fish in my upstairs tank are doing better because there is less/no voltage, then the voltage should be lower.... well it wasnt. It read in at 38v.

I think what is really going on has to do with stress. Something is stressing the fish out. I am going to try an experiment. I have an air pump on my large tank that is a bit noisy and causes the stand to rattle/vibrate a bit. I do not have an air pump at all upstairs. Fish are sensitive to vibration and my theory is that the vibration caused from this air pump is stressing the fish out. So tonight I am going to turn this thing off and see how the fish do.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So Ive disconnected the air pump in the 210g and been happy with the silence as I walk by the tank. Its hard to believe how much extra noise that slight vibration made. The fish seem fine but the Pearsei still acts a bit off. Seems to constantly be covered in cuts round her head. The only thing in there for her to have issues with are the intakes on the FX5 filters. All the rocks and things are rounded and smooth. I never see her freak out when I come in the room... I wonder if maybe the small bristle nose pleco spooks her at night. So Im still working on that situation.

Meanwhile in the 56g the Argentaea is healing up after the beating it got in the 210g. The male Pearsei in there is just thriving. It eats like a pig and is quite the beggar. Still elongated looking compared to the fish in the 210g. Just has the look that it will be a beast.

Anthraxx

lol D doesnt the brain function on electrical signals? isnt that how a pace maker helps keep ppl alive? lol im just saying that a little electricity isnt a bad thing.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well time to end this one. I awoke to my Pearsei having broken a glass thermometer in the tank. Poor thing was all cut up and could not keep itself upright. In all my years of fishkeeping Ive never had a fish break a thermometer including bigger and badder fish like a midas.

What a way to begin your morning with fishing out broken glass and a hurt/dying fish! This was a cool fish for sure and will be missed. :(

Last edited:

BillHN

DMD123 said:
Well time to end this one. I awoke to my Pearsei having broken a glass thermometer in the tank. Poor thing was all cut up and could not keep itself upright. In all my years of fishkeeping Ive never had a fish break a thermometer including bigger and badder fish like a midas.

What a way to begin your morning with fishing out broken glass and a hurt/dying fish! This was a coll fish for sure and will be missed. :(
Ur fish... Broke a glass thermometer? o_O
I'm sorry for your loss especially after all your hard work.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Also on a sad note the Argentea did not recover from its beating and I ended up putting it down. :(

So an empty tank upstairs ready for some growouts. Im heading to APFP for the anniversary sale and see what they got.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I ended up with something that Ive always wanted or 'the BIGGEST mistake of my life!

A giraffe catfish.

This is a 'Volta' which is supposed to stay smaller...... we will see