New Pearsei in the house!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Started the girl on her metro treatments. She is mad being in the small tank. I have also been treating with the Boyd's Vita Chem. That stuff is nasty. It has fish oil in it and you know what they say about oil and water... it dont mix. It does go into the tank but you can see an oily film on the surface after use and it will cloud the tank for a bit. I am just using this product during the treatment/healing process and I dont think I will ever use it again.

The boy is now in the 210g and is very shy. I dont know for sure but I think something spooked him. He went in just fine and ate like a little pig. Now he is acting strange.... hopefully he is settling in still. I do wonder if he had an issue with the bifa but I dont see any chasing or anything happening except that the bifa displays dominant feeding issues right now, chasing away the little fish as he eats.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I would comment on the medication I am using. I am using a product from Kensfish made by AquaScience. It is Metronidazole Powder, 100g for $13.95 with 1 teaspoon treating 164 gallons. While it has great bang for the buck, I am concerned with how horribly it dissolves in water. I use a small jar (32oz w/lid) and mix in 3/8 of a teaspoon of medicine and shake, shake, shake and the stuff just does not mix well. It stays pretty granular for a long time. Makes me wonder if it ever really is getting into the water. I have another order coming that has some seachem metro so I will compare the product and see the difference.

Seems that one of the small holes on her head has stopped growing and might even be healing a bit. A few of the others look to be no change. I need to continue treatment till Saturday and will keep her in the small tank for at least a week to see if I can get the holes to heal up, maybe a bit of melafix, pimafix or Boyds vita chem will do the trick.

Madness

Staff member
The Tetra parasite guard works wonders, it is a bit more spendie (80 gal treatment for $4) but the cocktail that he has in it works great for just what you have.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I ran through two treatments of the Parasite Guard with her and I think it took care of the problem at the time. She clearly has the beginnings of a touch of hole in the head. The metro seems to be doing the trick but I know it takes a while for the little pits to heal back up. I read somewhere to use Neosporin on them and they would heal up faster. That seems weird since it has like a petroleum base to it... might try it after this metro treatment.

Madness

Staff member
I wouldnt bother with the neosporin, it will just stress her out more, and the wounds are not getting worse.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the chase and catch would probably not help.

I took a look at the Seachem metro instructions on-line and found it says to treat every two days where as the stuff Im using says to do it daily. It also has me doing a water change prior to each treatment. I wonder if the Seachem is a more potent dose or what the difference is.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just a follow up (Sorry bad cell phone pic)

He is ready to breed! He has been in breeding dress for a few days. He has dug out a pit a couple times now, that Ive filled back in with my water changes. I never thought of a Pearsei as a glass banger but this one has been pretty aggressive about protecting his space.

Ive decided his name is Kermit, and his girlfriend is Pork Chop (I know it should be miss piggy!).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A little update: Last night I came home and found my Argentea beaten up badly in the 210g. Ni idea who did it. Very similar to a recent incident with a firemouth. I think it was the bifa at it again but it never openly shows that kind of aggression. Anyway I decided to put the little guy in the 56g to heal and move Pork Chop back into the 210g. She was healing up nicely from her hole in the head and was unhappy in such a little tank.

So all hell broke loose when I put her in the big tank. Kermit went off on her and attacked her! It did not take long for Pork Chop to realize she had a lot of size on this attacker and she went at him. He freaked out and started to get chased so I had to pull him and put him in the 56g.

Part of me wonders if I have two males. :laughhard: But Im almost sure if they are male and female.

Madness

Staff member
A quick vent job will give you the answer. At that size, it should be really easy to tell.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I should vent them. Ive seen tubes dropped and Kermit definitely seems to look male. Pork Chop was a bit harder to tell, seemed more like an egg tube but maybe not....

After having Kermit in the big tank and seeing how he was I really could are less if I keep him. He just has zero personality compared to the other Pearsei. Pork Chop totally reminds me of an Oscar. Very outgoing and swims all over the tank. Kermit was more of a hide in the background fish. Most likely will put him up for sale or trade.

fishman09

Kermit may well be a girl as in my experience when a fish digs a pit then guards the territory your usually dealing with a female prepping a spot to lay eggs and not a male. Never seen a male dig a pit without a female present and also without her choosing the area first.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That makes sense as to behavior. But the fish was supposed to be sexed as male from Gage. It looks to be male with its tube showing and it comes to more of a point at the end. I will admit some fish are easier to sex compared to others and these Pearsei have been more of a challenge for me to tell. I have not actually vented them, just saw tubes dropped when they had ate too much or in this case the fish (Kermit) just has its tube down all the time.

Madness

Staff member
Kermit is a male, no questions asked. If you need help venting just let me know. As for females digging pits, thats not completely accurate. I have several males that are constantly digging pits and redecorating the tank. Its just a Cichlid thing.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I guess the question really is.... If Pork Chop is a girl?

Pork Chop never has exhibited digging behavior, extreme territorial issues (like Kermit), or even aggression outside of feeding (She likes her food!). Whatever the case Pork Chop is the keeper, even if she does not get huge like a male will. She just has personality.

Madness

Staff member
Well let me know, all he did was follow me all over the place when I had him. Maybe he misses me. :) lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
He seemed pretty happy at your place.... got anything for trade that I might be interested in?

Madness

Staff member
All depends on what your interested in. I have Bocourtti, but small. I have a huge BB female, but she has a bit of an attitude. Or maybe a couple of my rare grow outs, Heterospila and/or Melanurus.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I love the look of Bocourti but I already have a Pearsei and they have similar personalities. Plus Ive seen a few on MFK comment how the combo did not work out well.

I am really not wanting another vieja type in the tank right now. Ive had a BB and it was a sneaky fin nipper. The bifa I have now is probably a bully/killer when Im not looking. If my Argentea heals I might try it back in the big tank again. Most of the fish in this family seem meaner than I would like.

I am looking for something less aggressive in terms of cichlid. My hope was a M/F Pearsei combo, or still want to try a snook.

I still need to figure out something for the 56g too... Let me think about it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That would be tempting since they came from the same batch as Pork Chop and would have her same build. What is the likelihood that out of three fish you would not have at least one male and female? :scratch:

Kermit is pretty cool looking but stands out different than Pork Chop. Im sure they are from different locations. I know you like the lean look but Pearsei should be BIG.

Let me think it over about the others. I really do want a BIG male Pearsei in the tank.