New Pearsei in the house!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
After a long wait I finally got my male Pearsei (Thanks madness!)

Here is the boy at madness home before I picked him up.

He is a bit thin... but Im sure he will put on the size! He is 8.5" and will soon join his girl in the 210g after a little quarantine time.
Here is the female (Pork Chop) apx 9"+
dsc03520.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!

Not many raise these guys, they get HUGE but are gentle giants.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
awesome! I look forward to seeing them swimming side by side! does that male have a more stream lined body, or is it just the view i am seeing on this old laptop?

Anthraxx

Nice D, glad to see you finding something to put in your tank (your fish still look overfed to me... hahaha) either way you should name that male "skeeter" (doug funnie's friend)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
awesome! I look forward to seeing them swimming side by side! does that male have a more stream lined body, or is it just the view i am seeing on this old laptop?
The male is very streamlined. This is kind of unusual for most of the Pearsei Ive seen. There a few however form different collection points that are more elongated. Will wait and see how this one turns out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthraxx said:
Nice D, glad to see you finding something to put in your tank (your fish still look overfed to me... hahaha) either way you should name that male "skeeter" (doug funnie's friend)
The Pearsei are major piggies :pig: (They are not overfed just big boned! :joker: )

He kind of looks like a "skeeter"....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
He is in the 56g right now and is like a bull in a china shop. I had to pull out all the plants because the tank was small and he was uprooting everything moving around. An 8 1/2" fish in a 30" x 18" footprint is a bit much!

He seems shy but not overly afraid. Just started eating (flakes only), but not yet getting that I am the one feeding him. I will wait a week or so before putting him in the big tank. I am using SeaChem ParaGuard to rid him of any parasites. A very gentle product that should clean him up.

Betty

Staff member
DMD123 said:
The Pearsei are major piggies :pig: (They are not overfed just big boned! :joker: )
He kind of looks like a "skeeter"....
I think he looks just right. :)
Maybe Pork Chop will slim down when she has a bunch of babies to look after.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I finally got the boy to eat something besides flakes! Almost one week to the day he finally broke down and ate some pellets. His belly did not look so hollow, and he filled out a little. He just does not have the bulky build of a typical pearsei (yet?). Very calm and mellow with the little midas, pleco and cat he is sharing space with in the 56g. Not sure how long I should quarantine him for.... Its been one week now.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
you have more patience than me! I would have moved him over after a couple of days lol!

Madness

Staff member
lloyd378 said:
you have more patience than me! I would have moved him over after a couple of days lol!
Especially considering that he was quarantined for a week at my place before you picked him up. And I told you he liked me better. He was eating all kinds of pellets for me and even eating out of my hand. :hugg:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
After having issues twice now by adding fish to the tank without quarantining... I am learning to be patient rather than dealing with consequences. Both times I ended up with a parasite, and both times the fish came from a LFS that I will not mention because I feel they provide nice fish but it is my responsibility as a fish keeper to make sure newly introduced fish are safe to add to the show tank.

After my last issue, my girl Pork Chop even stressed to the point of showing a small spot of hole in the head. I feed high quality pellets (NLS, Omega One, Hikari, Xtreme) and do multiple water changes per week so I know it was not because I was not trying, but due to the stress I caused her by introducing a 'carrier' in the tank.

I will most likely pull her and treat with a bit of metro just to be sure. I have tried the Epsom salt in her food now for about a week. I have not noticed any real changes good or bad with her little spots so the meds are the next step. She eats like a pig and seems fine otherwise. With her in the 56g getting better, I will introduce the male pearsei to his tankmates and then bring Pork Chop back in with him. She is a big girl and I dont want her beating on her man.

Madness

Staff member
I didn't know you were having issues with her.
that really sucks. so what exactly is her problem or what is going on with her

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
She is just starting to get a little hole in head. I will treat with metro and keep up with water changes and be patient. I did the Epsom salt food treatment to kill the stuff in her intestinal tract but still notice the spots on the outside. They seem to be very slowly progressing where they are looking worse and not healing. I am catching it early so the damage should not be too bad. I have been trying to make sure to include more veggie based foods (Omega One Algae wafers and kelp pellets) but NLS is her primary pellet now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking about food and proper nutrients, I decided to get some of the Boyd's Vita Chem for her during the healing process. I have a bunch of stuff on order to get my fish first aid kit back up to where I like to have it including melafix and pimafix. But I need to stop the stuff in its tracks first.