New Pearsei in the house!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I know you aren't thinking about this at this time, but if the argentea pulls through, and it ends up not working out for your tank, i would like to be first in line to buy it. I am really wanting one, but the ones I have seen are too small.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
llyod,

I was surprised to find the Argentea had got a beating. It was doing well with the bifa. Since I had the same experience with a firemouth and the only real constant in the equation was the bifa, it had to be the culprit. Hope the little midas can hold its own! Now that Pork Chop is back in the tank maybe the bifa will not be such a jerk.

The Argentea already looks to be improving. I will see how it does and I will let you know.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, what did your argentea look like when he got beat up? I came home from work today to find my 3 inch jag, and my 3.5 inch red dragon flowerhorn with bite marks on the their heads(scale loss, white flesh exposed), and my 4 inch female festae with a perfect bitemark taken out of her tail. I am wondering if it was from tangling from with my bifas......

other possible attackers: 6 inch zonatus, 3.5 inch cuban, 2-3 inch midas, a 4 inch red texas, or my super mellow 8 inch red isletas. I haven't had any aggression in my tank for weeks(since I removed the spawning pairs). and the only thing that I have changed to the tank is adding a cfuv500 aquatop filter

again, I have no idea who would have done this, as they all seem to get along when I am in the room. but remembering this post about how aggressive your bifa is and how my two are from the same batch, I was just connecting the dots. any thoughts out there?

Madness

Staff member
Hey Lloyd, you may want to separate the Festae and the Jag. For some reason Festae and Parachromis especially Jags do not get along. I have heard several stories that they will eventually fight to the death. Mel, myself, Yeun, have had first hand experience in this combo.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
Hey Lloyd, you may want to separate the Festae and the Jag. For some reason Festae and Parachromis especially Jags do not get along. I have heard several stories that they will eventually fight to the death. Mel, myself, Yeun, have had first hand experience in this combo.
thanks for the heads up! I will have to do this. do you think that maybe all three just tangled with each other, and that it wasn't one of my larger fish in the tank?

Madness

Staff member
If none of the other fish are showing marks, I would say that it was between the 3 of them. Are there any signs on their mouths to show that they may be lip locking?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Argentea looked beat up with fins torn. It was kind of laying on its side in the plastic plants with a 'just kill me' look on it. It seems almost as soon as it got put into the 56g it started healing. Much improvement in a short period has me thinking it will fully recover. When I had the firemouth, it looked like it had been descaled, torn fins and could barely keep itself upright but it did heal.

Also an update on Kermit. After putting him back into the 56g, he is a different fish. He swims right up front begging for food and interacting. Exactly what I was looking for in a Pearsei. I dont know why he acted so strange in the big tank. Almost an immediate breeding behavior and zero personality in the 210g.

Madness

Staff member
you may not have been in his breeding behavior in the 210 and more in the I'm pissed off behavior, when males get angry they color up just like that so it could be that he was pissed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well he was pissed at everyone! The little midas he shared the tank space with in the 56g was even being chased. He was also very skittish in the big tank, would freak out if you startled him by walking in the room when he wasnt looking. Completely different fish in the small tank. Does not spook and comes up front begging for food. Why the change?

Madness

Staff member
Maybe the water params are different, or maybe you may have some stray voltage in the 210 that he didnt like, which may also explain why the other one got HITH.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
If none of the other fish are showing marks, I would say that it was between the 3 of them. Are there any signs on their mouths to show that they may be lip locking?
yes, some signs of lip locking..... also, my smallest, reddest bifa is displaying some super agro coloring / behaviors, and my red texas is as well. looks like my stock list is going to need to be modified.....

Madness

Staff member
lloyd378 said:
madness said:
yes, some signs of lip locking..... also, my smallest, reddest bifa is displaying some super agro coloring / behaviors, and my red texas is as well. looks like my stock list is going to need to be modified.....
Quite possible.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
Maybe the water params are different, or maybe you may have some stray voltage in the 210 that he didnt like, which may also explain why the other one got HITH.
We have talked about the stray voltage before and kind of felt like this really was not a huge issue. But with recent events Im not so sure....

After putting Pork Chop back in the 210g, she is acting up again with her food. She acts as if hungry and takes the food in but spits it out and the food looks like its covered in mucus. This is a symptom that is show when a fish has gill flukes. She is doing the heavy breathing again also and has been rubbing. These were all symptoms she displayed last time when she started to waste away and I had to pump food and meds down her throat. I dont see any flukes but these are classic symptoms. I am beginning to feel like the tank is cursed!

I really am not sure where any stay voltage would be coming from. Heaters are usually the culprit, but I use inline heaters instead of the ones in the tank so it should be OK. I have a UV but that too is sealed in a way that it should no be an issue. The two FX5's really should not be an issue also.

Madness

Staff member
I have no idea. Have you tested the water to see if you do have stray voltage in it? I can help if you need it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive done that before.... I cant remember all the details but there is some misunderstandings out there about stay voltage. If I remember correctly it is whether or not stray current is showing.

Madness

Staff member
Yes it is the current that kills, but if you have a considerable amount of voltage in the water, you can guarantee that you have current also.

Madness

Staff member
The inline heaters and the UV both could cause issues with current leakage. It really looks like that may be an issue. She is not comfortable and not eating, and he was angry and not eating.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to run another test tonight. I found stray voltage in all the tanks last time but I did not find current. I do have a different tank set up now upstairs and new equipment on it so Im interested in what that shows.

I have not been real happy with the in lines heaters on the big tank. I can tell that even with both on one line I do get a reduced water flow. I might just get a good old in tank heater so I can get more flow out of the FX5.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on pins and needles over here! What's the verdict??????????