Mystus bimaculatus?

FishBeast

I will endeavor to get a better photo. I may just have to haul him out of there and take a pic the old fashioned way; like a real fisherman.

Interesting though...this very morning, I sat there for a good 20 minutes after feeding time, watching the fish show in the 55, looking for Mr. Magic. At one point, I even got a flashlight and checked BEHIND the tank because I thought, "Could he have flipped himself out somehow?" I was genuinely worried. He FINALLLLLLLY made an ever-so-brief appearance. I was all relieved, of course.

It's funny how attached you can get to a fish.
The prettier they are, it seems the more reclusive they are as well! :)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Look who kind of posed for my crappy cell phone camera this morning? I found his new hidey hole.

The title of this piece is "I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMille"

Magic Cat.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well, I'm glad to help.
Another big difference I failed to note was the size of the adipose fin M. bimaculatus has a very large adipose that extends from near the base of dorsal to near the base of tail. Where as H. brachysoma have a relatively small adipose near the base of tail.

Look how wide that mouth is. He doesn't look like what I thought he was. Does he still look like what you think he is?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Yup he's definitely a sun cat
heres my big guy I had a few years back (2014)
View attachment 3659
Probably 8in. or so in this pic, but like I said they won't like reach more then 12in.

So he's H. brachysoma then? I re-read this whole thread and got confused all over again. lol

I love that big wide mouth. It's not quite smiling - it's kind of a pensive look, I think.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I think I need to re-home Mr. Magic Horabagrus brachysoma. He's eating (based on popular opinion) my little cardinal tetras and anything super small. I think he also may have got my other female Threadfin Tetra - which breaks my heart.

Anyone want this monkey? If not, I'm going to move him into the "big fish" tank - which is 29 gallons - but at least he won't be able to get anyone in his mouth. Ugh.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
That bad, cute munchin' catfish! Might want to return to store for credit? Just read that it gets to 18" :eek:

*faints*

He's going into the 29 until someone falls in love with his face and wants him. lol He's really jacking up the fung shuy in my happy community tank of teeny fishes! He ate TWO SCHOOLS of cardinal tetras in a week. No more soup for you, Mr. Magic!

julzhull

*faints*

He's going into the 29 until someone falls in love with his face and wants him. lol He's really jacking up the fung shuy in my happy community tank of teeny fishes! He ate TWO SCHOOLS of cardinal tetras in a week. No more soup for you, Mr. Magic!
Geez, that's not a cheap snack!

Renegade Aquatics

That bad, cute munchin' catfish! Might want to return to store for credit? Just read that it gets to 18" :eek:
Out of all the ones I've seen I have yet to see one grow more then 12 or 13in. I know some one who has school in a 4500 gallon tank for a few years and are about as round as the are long

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I still haven't moved him yet. I feel bad moving him.

*tell yourself* it's just a fish.....it's just a fish....it's just a fish.... NOT WORKING.

FishBeast

I still haven't moved him yet. I feel bad moving him.

*tell yourself* it's just a fish.....it's just a fish....it's just a fish.... NOT WORKING.
It's for his own good. Sometimes (not just sometimes) I talk to my fish. So I'd say something like this... "Now, Mr. Magic, you've been a naughty, eat-y catfish. We are gonna need to stage an intervention. Which is moving you out of the buffet line." :D

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
It's for his own good. Sometimes (not just sometimes) I talk to my fish. So I'd say something like this... "Now, Mr. Magic, you've been a naughty, eat-y catfish. We are gonna need to stage an intervention. Which is moving you out of the buffet line." :D

I did something similar using a phrase I cannot print here and I THINK he gave me the middle fin.