Mystus bimaculatus?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
upload_2017-1-6_10-35-11.png

I forget he's even in my 50g, this guy. Like many catfish, I never see him out and about and even when I am trying to find him, he's MIA. When I got him six months ago, he was teeny (of course) and now he's a good 4" long (without the whiskers). If this is really who's in my tank, I think I'm committing some kind of catfish abuse. At PetSmart (I know) where I got him, they called him a Half Moon Catfish and made NO MENTION of the brackish water he's supposed to be living in. Should I be rehoming this guy? I have to say, mine is cuter than the one in this picture. He has a soft looking face - not all deer-in-the-headlights, like the guy in this pic from The Wet Spot.

FishBeast

Hi Vicki! If it is truly a Mystus Bimaculatus, it doesn't need brackish water. Who told you it needed brackish water? I do not trust PetSmart or Petco data cards... They put 20" as a Red Belly Pacu's maximum length :lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

FishBeast

Yes. I will endeavor to get one! I would love to know who this guy is and if I need to start shopping for that 125 gallon tank to keep him. lol
As soon as you get a photo I will do my best to ID (and so will the rest of WAFishBoxers).

Renegade Aquatics

Planet catfish lists their max lengths at SL (standard length) which measures to the base of the tail not the total length of the fish. So Vicki's fish is a normal adult, also if I recall correctly they are schooling fish.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Planet catfish lists their max lengths at SL (standard length) which measures to the base of the tail not the total length of the fish. So Vicki's fish is a normal adult, also if I recall correctly they are schooling fish.

Yikes @ Schooling. Well, I guess I know who will be the first in the 125 if/when that ever happens; Mr. Magic and Friends.

@FishBeast - fed the tank and then sat still for a full half hour to try to get an action shot of Mr. Magic. Nothing. The minute I get up to feed the dogs, there he is. ha! I thought getting a CRS tank all dialed in was difficult....taking a pic of this guy is ridicules.

FishBeast

Yikes @ Schooling. Well, I guess I know who will be the first in the 125 if/when that ever happens; Mr. Magic and Friends.

@FishBeast - fed the tank and then sat still for a full half hour to try to get an action shot of Mr. Magic. Nothing. The minute I get up to feed the dogs, there he is. ha! I thought getting a CRS tank all dialed in was difficult....taking a pic of this guy is ridicules.
Hahaha that behavior verifies that it is DEFINITELY a catfish!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Finally! A horrible pic of the Magic Cat! Elusive as the dickens, I stalked this tank with my cellphone for over a week to get this shot -- and it's gawd-awful!

He's in the bottom left corner.

Mystery Cat.jpg

FishBeast

Finally! A horrible pic of the Magic Cat! Elusive as the dickens, I stalked this tank with my cellphone for over a week to get this shot -- and it's gawd-awful!

He's in the bottom left corner.

View attachment 3484
Hard to tell but looks like the real deal... Another possibility is Mystus bleekeri, which grows a bit bigger. At any rate, will definitely not need brackish water. Enjoy! Catfish are so cooooooooll!!!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Looks more like a Horabagrus brachysoma to me
grows about 12in. very nice cat, makes me miss mine

He looks like that guy too except my guy has a really bright WHITE stripe on the tail, next to the black stripe.

12 inches? Oh gosh. I hope not.

It was a dumb impulse buy - but he's a super cool looking fish. I don't regret bringing him home. He's living the good life at my house.

FishBeast

He looks like that guy too except my guy has a really bright WHITE stripe on the tail, next to the black stripe.

It was a dumb impulse buy - but he's a super cool looking fish. I don't regret bringing him home. He's living the good life at my house.
Another (possibly difficult or impossible to take) clear and near photo will remove all doubt hahaha

Renegade Aquatics

I got this from the the rounded anal fin which M. bimaculatus lack, but if you can another more detailed pic of the fish would help immensely.
but H. brachysoma has a similar marking near the fork where as M. bimaculatus has a more detailed mark at the base of tail itself rather then on it.
download.jpg mystus_bimaculatus.jpg
also notice the banding is reversed on H. brachysoma

FishBeast

I got this from the the rounded anal fin which M. bimaculatus lack, but if you can another more detailed pic of the fish would help immensely.
but H. brachysoma has a similar marking near the fork where as M. bimaculatus has a more detailed mark at the base of tail itself rather then on it.
View attachment 3507 View attachment 3508
also notice the banding is reversed on H. brachysoma
Great description of the difference!

Renegade Aquatics

Well, I'm glad to help.
Another big difference I failed to note was the size of the adipose fin M. bimaculatus has a very large adipose that extends from near the base of dorsal to near the base of tail. Where as H. brachysoma have a relatively small adipose near the base of tail.

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well, I'm glad to help.
Another big difference I failed to note was the size of the adipose fin M. bimaculatus has a very large adipose that extends from near the base of dorsal to near the base of tail. Where as H. brachysoma have a relatively small adipose near the base of tail.

I will endeavor to get a better photo. I may just have to haul him out of there and take a pic the old fashioned way; like a real fisherman.

Interesting though...this very morning, I sat there for a good 20 minutes after feeding time, watching the fish show in the 55, looking for Mr. Magic. At one point, I even got a flashlight and checked BEHIND the tank because I thought, "Could he have flipped himself out somehow?" I was genuinely worried. He FINALLLLLLLY made an ever-so-brief appearance. I was all relieved, of course.

It's funny how attached you can get to a fish.