My Bichirs!

FishBeast

Markings still in shock mode... I'm thinking this one is the Faranah due to head shape? Probably 14" just eyeballing.
IMG_4558.JPG

If this is Koloton, he looks very much like Nigerian Lap. Again, colors are faded... I'm thinking it is 12"
IMG_4550.JPG

FishBeast

I have them in the 120 with a center divider that I jammed in there. Once I have the 210 set up we will have bichir soup!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have them in the 120 with a center divider that I jammed in there. Once I have the 210 set up we will have bichir soup!
With all the polys put into the 210g tank at the same time and two being much larger than the endli, you should have a better time getting them to get along.

Hard to tell from the pictures as to who is who since they are both laps. But once they color up it should be noticeable. The Faranah should have more of a dark green with a crinkle fry pattern and the Koloton a brownish with more elongated strips with kind of a broken chain pattern. Best way I can describe them.

They look good with a little meat on them. Not too skinny which is nice.

FishBeast

Thanks for the descriptions! The bigger one has a parasite "beard" I think worms... will need to treat once eating and relaxed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the descriptions! The bigger one has a parasite "beard" I think worms... will need to treat once eating and relaxed.
I like to use Tetra Parasite guard. It has different meds to take care of both internal and external parasites. Not uncommon for wild caught fish to have these but surprised Wet Spot did not treat before selling. I would inform them of the fact the fish has external parasites and send them a picture. You spent good money for those two fish to have that issue right off the bat.

Betty

Staff member
Nice new additions. The look like they could walk on land! :)

I hope you get the parasites cleared up with no problems.

FishBeast

I do have Parasite Guard on order. I'll try to get clearer pictures. It could also be filaments of gunk caught on slime coat... They are both eating!

Betty

Staff member
That was interesting. :eek:

And that's how you pronounce bichir! I'm glad I've never said it out loud in front of anyone. :oops:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@FishBeast

Here were the pics from Wet Spot to help you identify your laps as they color up. Im guessing on the match

Im thinking Faranah because of the blocky head shape
img_4550-jpg.3832

Im thinking Koloton because of the chain pattern on the side
img_4558-jpg.3831

Last edited:

FishBeast

@FishBeast

Here were the pics from Wet Spot to help you identify your laps as they color up. Im guessing on the match

Im thinking Faranah because of the blocky head shape
img_4550-jpg.3832

Im thinking Koloton because of the chain pattern on the side
img_4558-jpg.3831
Yes, I think you are right! The Koloton gill plate also seems to have the radial look to it like in the pic