My Bichirs!

FishBeast

Happy poly faces! You cant help but smile back :)

They are looking good!
Thank you! :) I haven't seen any overt aggression anymore. Maybe they've finally gotten used to each other... :D Either that or they're only fighting when I'm not looking.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thank you! :) I haven't seen any overt aggression anymore. Maybe they've finally gotten used to each other... :D Either that or they're only fighting when I'm not looking.
I think the aggression goes down as they get bigger and older. My big endli is now pretty mellow.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im just down to the endli and ansorgii for polys. I would have to reduce stock to get more polys. Problem is not enough BIG tanks, lol.

cjag

I think I'm going to be getting rid of the cories in my 75 and adding a bichir after going through this thread and doing a little research. For a 75 are there other species I can do besides senegalus? Tankmates would be 5 bolivian rams and a 4" severum. These things look so damn cool.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@cjag, concerned about the Bolivian rams with polys. Even the upper jaws may try to eat them...

Delhezi are probably the best looking of the upper jaw polys but they have the potential of getting to a foot long. A mokelembembe is a bit more rare and likey only get 10” max.

cjag

Oh really the rams? Do you think senegalus would be a problem too? I'm unfamiliar with this group's terminology, what do you mean by "upper jaw polys"?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Oh really the rams? Do you think senegalus would be a problem too? I'm unfamiliar with this group's terminology, what do you mean by "upper jaw polys"?
There are two groupings of polys termed upper jaw and lower jaw. Basically it is based on jaw structure. In the 75 gallon, no lower jaw is recommended. These would be endli, ansorgii, lapradei and a few others. For your 75 you can choose from many upper jaw polys like the Sen, delhezi, and others. You just need to avoid the big 3 of the upper jaw, this would be Ornate, teugelsi, weeksii. Hopefully that helps a bit.

As for the sen, its hard to say. Many of these captive bred dont get as big as they could as wild caught. So I would guess 7-8” max but potential to get bigger. Though the albino does seem to stay smaller. It should be okay but you never know.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s some additional info for you..... zoom in on the pics

EA3CA7B9-70FB-43B1-A42D-04426A6A2B0F.jpeg528F298B-4758-424D-936F-F23F039AE00D.jpeg3BF914BA-6749-4716-9A0F-04D71EC81F99.jpeg3DABAFFA-3786-4BE1-A904-9DA9BF082EF5.jpeg760BAF8F-24FA-4A33-B0C7-95E7794D96FC.jpegC9D6936B-B73E-47B3-A02A-B253DA715DF5.jpeg

cjag

There are two groupings of polys termed upper jaw and lower jaw. Basically it is based on jaw structure. In the 75 gallon, no lower jaw is recommended. These would be endli, ansorgii, lapradei and a few others. For your 75 you can choose from many upper jaw polys like the Sen, delhezi, and others. You just need to avoid the big 3 of the upper jaw, this would be Ornate, teugelsi, weeksii. Hopefully that helps a bit.

As for the sen, its hard to say. Many of these captive bred dont get as big as they could as wild caught. So I would guess 7-8” max but potential to get bigger. Though the albino does seem to stay smaller. It should be okay but you never know.
I see, thanks for the info. I'll look more into the upper jaw species then. There seems to be a couple color variations of senegalus to choose from too.