My Bichirs!

FishBeast

Well, the other night I put all the bichirs together. I stumbled upon the now 9 inch endlicheri EATING the 4-5 inch Stumpy, tail-first. I gently whacked the bigger fish's head and he let go of the little guy, who was halfway down his gullet. Apparently the Endli was not content with ripping off a fin 2 months ago and wanted to finish the job. :(QQ:confused:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Poor stumpy :eek:

My endli would grab my Koliba's tail and get pulled across the tank! It is totally fine now but they need time to grow out of it.

Betty

Staff member
Well, the other night I put all the bichirs together. I stumbled upon the now 9 inch endlicheri EATING the 4-5 inch Stumpy, tail-first. I gently whacked the bigger fish's head and he let go of the little guy, who was halfway down his gullet. Apparently the Endli was not content with ripping off a fin 2 months ago and wanted to finish the job. :(QQ:confused:
That's terrible! I was wondering how stumpy was doing. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stumpy is no more. :( I blame myself to some degree. :( :(
You had no idea the endli would damage the other poly like that. It can happen when trying to make a community of any types of fish. Ive had cichlids that will bully other cichlids into a corner and pin them there. Sometimes these fish get accepted once they submit or other times they get beaten to death. With polys it seems more brutal because they will remove fins and eat other polys. Dont beat yourself up about it.

FishBeast

You had no idea the endli would damage the other poly like that. It can happen when trying to make a community of any types of fish. Ive had cichlids that will bully other cichlids into a corner and pin them there. Sometimes these fish get accepted once they submit or other times they get beaten to death. With polys it seems more brutal because they will remove fins and eat other polys. Dont beat yourself up about it.
Thank you, my friend. You are right... These guys do seem to use biting (and unfortunately, eating) a lot more to assert dominance. The more I've read and learned, the more I see that. What size would you say they become "calmer" and snap at each other less? I want to see them pile on each other like your polys do!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The wild caught really take a while to mellow. Mine usually come in around 13" and I cant say for sure but usually right after the stage where they are bottomless pits and start to slow down in growth is also where you see some more calmness. For my endli that was around 16". All of the laps have been much calmer from the get go, pretty much endli was the problem child.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It really looks good compared to mine. I actually like the pattern on yours better than mine but I needed the bigger one. Mine has some interesting black spots that yours dosent have.

If you look at the 6th finlet you will see the top is twisted over a bit. Yours looks so much better!

Betty

Staff member
Nice. All of these pics make me wish I could keep some. <3

Sorry for the loss of Stumpy. I've lost a few fish to aggression over the years and I always feel responsible.

FishBeast

It really looks good compared to mine. I actually like the pattern on yours better than mine but I needed the bigger one. Mine has some interesting black spots that yours dosent have.

If you look at the 6th finlet you will see the top is twisted over a bit. Yours looks so much better!

I see what you're saying. Mine has more of a tear on the 4th one...

FishBeast

Nice. All of these pics make me wish I could keep some. <3

Sorry for the loss of Stumpy. I've lost a few fish to aggression over the years and I always feel responsible.
Thanks @Betty ! You can always start with a senegal bichir! They don't grow too big and are (usually) super active!

FishBeast

@DMD123! Waaaah! Horror story report: My isolation tank mini-cycled due to the meds. I used 1 dose each of ParaGuard and Fungus Guard. The only difference from my normal protocol is putting Melafix in to try to heal the nostril faster. On Wednesday, night I was puzzled why the lap seemed sluggish and had not eaten at all after the first day so I tested the water...

To my dismay, 3 PPM nitrites! I had no choice but to put him in the 120 with the rest while I dealt with the mini cycle (50% water change, adding pre-cycled sponge filter).

Well, not 20 minutes after I put the lap in, the endli had latched on its face and was death rolling it. The tail also was a bit shredded. I had to put it in a large net overnight in the tank.

After the 3rd 50% water change on the isolation tank, nitrites had gone down and I put the endli in it... :( :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That endli is agressive! He needs something that keeps him in check. Was he already established in the tank when the lap went in? That might be part of the issue.

What is the size difference in the two?

FishBeast

That endli is agressive! He needs something that keeps him in check. Was he already established in the tank when the lap went in? That might be part of the issue.

What is the size difference in the two?
The lap is actually 1/2 inch longer... :( The Endli was established but I completely redid the decor when I changed water and introduced lap. Especially the Endli's "corner" which is under a sponge filter...

He actually "came over" to the other end of the tank where the lap was chilling and just bit the head. :eek:

guess I'll just have to keep it separate from the others until adulthood...