My Bichirs!

FishBeast

Face damage in lap with traumatic cataract and gash under chin and free flapping skin
IMG_3623.PNG
Shredded, de-skinned tail tip
IMG_3624.PNG
The "perp"
IMG_3619.JPG

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The lap is actually 1/2 inch longer... :( The Endli was established but I completely redid the decor when I changed water and introduced lap. Especially the Endli's "corner" which is under a sponge filter...

He actually "came over" to the other end of the tank where the lap was chilling and just bit the head. :eek:

guess I'll just have to keep it separate from the others until adulthood...
The endli considers the tank his and any new comer will be put in place. I know this sounds extreme but introduce all fish at one time. This would espically be good if you could get the numbers up to about five similar sized polys. Do this with zero decor in the tank. This may include removal of the sponge filter. This puts all the fish on the same level with nothing to get territorial about. My endli was also the trouble maker in my tank and I had to remove a really cool piece of driftwood to keep the peace.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Right now you have 3 larger type polys right?
Ornate, volta endli, nigerian lap? If you could add two more the agression level would lower because it would get spread out among many fish and not just one. If you want a bichir community you really cant isolate the perp but need to get him integrated in the social hierarchy. Faranah endli seem to be the most calm of the wild caught endli and I've heard from others who have them that they are the peacekeepers of their polys. In general the endli and ornate are the biggest bullies of the poly world.

Last edited:

FishBeast

The endli considers the tank his and any new comer will be put in place. I know this sounds extreme but introduce all fish at one time. This would espically be good if you could get the numbers up to about five similar sized polys. Do this with zero decor in the tank. This may include removal of the sponge filter. This puts all the fish on the same level with nothing to get territorial about. My endli was also the trouble maker in my tank and I had to remove a really cool piece of driftwood to keep the peace.
You're right... I plan to do that when I set up the 210. Just substrate, no decor of any sort. I just need to let the lap heal up a bit. And of course the problem I have with the flimsy 210 stand that I have to fix! I do remember you saying that there needs to be a critical number of polys in a tank to decrease specific aggression...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I do remember you saying that there needs to be a critical number of polys in a tank to decrease specific aggression...
Any ideas what you want to add? Kind of tough in the winter with cold weather and shipping....

FishBeast

Right now you have 3 larger type polys right?
Ornate, volta endli, nigerian lap? If you could add two more the agression level would lower because it would get spread out among many fish and not just one. If you want a bichir community you really cant isolate the perp but need to get him integrated in the social hierarchy. Faranah endli seem to be the most calm of the wild caught endli and I've heard from others who have them that they are the peacekeepers of their polys. In general the endli and ornate are the biggest bullies of the poly world.

I'll call Wet Spot and hopefully they have one in the 10-12" range to balance things out. I'll look for faranah endli and do you think maybe ansorgii? I love the albino sen but he will for sure be left behind in growth and turn into a snack so he will get his own tank maybe with the cichlids. Too bad coz he is the friendliest, most active and cutest bichir I have. The Endli is a bully who has maimed 2 fish already, the ornate is a coward, the lap is log-like (understandably so due to injuries). Hey I really appreciate yoru guidance with this! Maybe I'll have to send the Endli to you for a few weeks so your big polys can teach him manners hahaha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wet spot did have some special order Faranah laps and Koloton laps recently. A buddy on MFK ordered them in and they ordered a couple extra in too.

FishBeast

Wet spot did have some special order Faranah laps and Koloton laps recently. A buddy on MFK ordered them in and they ordered a couple extra in too.
I remember you did mention that! thanks. I'll call them tomorrow and let you know what happens. Those are Toyin fish right? Will their patterns be similar to Nigerian lap? I'll research on how polys caught from those locations look :) thanks man!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You will likely have to order from Toyin if you want anything else. I got my ansorgii from him and Im glad I did. With Wet Spot they sometimes bring in what they call ansorgii but they are actually a hybrid ansogii x endli. Not that its a bad thing but the pattern looks wrong and so does head shape.

FishBeast

I see... looks like Toyin is still best... although isn't he super difficult to deal with? Like no follow ups etc? That's a huge turnoff for me but if he is the only source I may have to deal... the rehoboth website is completely useless. I'll have to lurk more on MFK... :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I remember you did mention that! thanks. I'll call them tomorrow and let you know what happens. Those are Toyin fish right? Will their patterns be similar to Nigerian lap? I'll research on how polys caught from those locations look :) thanks man!
These are pics from the guy in Vancouver who ordered in the fish. Toyin will ship to you if there are no stores in the area that sell his stuff otherwise he will make you go through the store itself.

Faranah lap
20170221_080653-jpg.1234096

Koloton
20170221_075119-jpg.1234097

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know they dont seem impressive since they are still showing stress colors but the first one should turn out like mine

My Faranah lap

There is debate on the Koloton classification but it should look similar to my Koliba lap

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The various catch locations do look different but in the end a lap still is a lap and an endli is an endli. If you want something 'different' then ansorgii, congi, weeksii, teugelsi are other options

FishBeast

The various catch locations do look different but in the end a lap still is a lap and an endli is an endli. If you want something 'different' then ansorgii, congi, weeksii, teugelsi are other options
So I called Wet Spot today and put holds on the Faranah and Koloton laps... Their online sales department was closed so I have to call again tomorrow. The polys are approx a foot each per the lady I spoke with and she didn't have a price on them so I'll find out more tomorrow!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They wont be cheap but that's expected with wild caughts that originate with Rehoboth (Toyin). But they will be nice once they settle in. Two larger laps would put the endli in check for sure

FishBeast

I got off the phone with Wet Spot... Pretty bummed.

They won't sell them to me unless I can have them shipped out in 48 hours! :(QQ The problem is I'll be going on vacation for the next 10 days :( so they are fair game for anyone who walks into the store...

They wouldn't even take my credit card info. I was ready to shell out over $300 for the fish plus shipping and they wouldn't even hear it. The woes continue...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They are likely going to be there for a bit since they are higher priced specialty fish. I would say to check back once your back from vacation.

Besides if it really comes down to it you can try Toyin or Uncle Neds.

FishBeast

They are likely going to be there for a bit since they are higher priced specialty fish. I would say to check back once your back from vacation.

Besides if it really comes down to it you can try Toyin or Uncle Neds.

I hope so. I really want those fish. I told them to hide the polys from the public eye! LOL

I messaged Toyin on FB, no reply yet. I'll check out Uncle Ned's.

I could have had them shipped still and have a neighbor receive them but I don't have an extra tank cycled for them as the Endli is in it!

These wonderful, wacky bichirs! :)