My Bichirs!

FishBeast

IMG_2045.JPG
@FishBeast, I forgot you were away for a while. As long as the guy eats he will put on the size quickly.
Moved him to the 120 grow out today... so far so good. Hiding a lot. Here's a chance shot with the lapradei (in the hole), who is probably small enough to be eaten! Hopefully if I keep them all well fed, everyone will get big enough to become uninteresting.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So what polys do you currently have now and what size are they?

L190

I got into bichirs about a year ago. I have sold some duplicates I have. They're cool but they have eaten some expensive fish I had in the tank.

FishBeast

WELL POOP. Someone lost a pectoral fin this morning... looks like the Endli isn't that shy after all.

At least the lap didn't get completely eaten! I'm assuming guilt here but come on! A day after introduction! So PIST.

IMG_2059.JPG IMG_2060.JPG

FishBeast

I got into bichirs about a year ago. I have sold some duplicates I have. They're cool but they have eaten some expensive fish I had in the tank.
I'm beginning to worry now! The big one tore a fin off the other...

FishBeast

Didja get him out of there yet?? lol
Didn't have time this morning coz I was late for work! I'm having my wife check periodically to see if any more funny business happens... I'll definitely put him in time out later

FishBeast

Endli likely establishing dominance.
Man, what a way to do it! It's funny how he went for the only other lower jaw in the tank. Do you think it'll regenerate? I've read some reports on polys having fin regenerative ability. It's completely gone, though. Not even a stump.

FishBeast

Looks like there is hope! There are several articles such this that show how Polypterus can regenerate the complex pectoral fin assembly with great accuracy, just like amphibians and some reptiles! Hooray for ancient fish!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Likely have to pull the aggressor so the others can heal. I would powerfeed the smaller polys so they get some size on them. If you reintroduce take all decor out and try the bare tank method. No decor to fight over, no territorial fighting, hopefully.

FishBeast

Likely have to pull the aggressor so the others can heal. I would powerfeed the smaller polys so they get some size on them. If you reintroduce take all decor out and try the bare tank method. No decor to fight over, no territorial fighting, hopefully.
I will do just that... Thank you! Should I take the injured fish out to heal separately?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I will do just that... Thank you! Should I take the injured fish out to heal separately?
Watch the agression with what polys are with the injured one. If they leave it alone and let it heal you should be fine. If one of the other polys gets ideas to become top dog then you will have to pull it to heal.

FishBeast

Watch the agression with what polys are with the injured one. If they leave it alone and let it heal you should be fine. If one of the other polys gets ideas to become top dog then you will have to pull it to heal.
The funny thing was that before I added the Endli, the Lap was the most active and "dominant" bichir despite being the smallest. So far with the Endli gone, the lap is limping along ok. The wound seems to have closed... I will go with your powerfeeding suggestion.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My endli rules the tank. It was a terror toward my koliba lap but as the lap grew and got some size on it the endli left it alone. You may notice things improve with the size being closer together.

FishBeast

My endli rules the tank. It was a terror toward my koliba lap but as the lap grew and got some size on it the endli left it alone. You may notice things improve with the size being closer together.
Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping it's just a size issue and not a personality issue... I'll keep you posted!