Midway Tropical Fish and Pets- Kent

anthony

So I remember when you asked me if I called earlier my reply was no because I did NOT call that day..What made me angry was the simple fact that everyone knows that its your job to get the prices right not mine. Altering the price after I say I'm buying something is bad biz. I was disappointed that you had to step in and do the right thing as the owner said nothing. And to top it off My friend bought 2 Teugelsi Bichirs for $120 a couple of weeks before. when they were marked 79.99. There was 2 others that "were not for sale" Then you guys had them for 99.99 . So its not my fault I show up to your store and there is a sign on the tank that says 69.99 IM sorry but my rating stands. I have been there several times. I have bought 2 bichirs there for$130.00 masivore pellets for$30 nightcrawlers $5 I brought my friend there from Olympia who bought the 2 bichirs for $120. who should be thankful????????????????????????

Jacko

anthony said:
So I remember when you asked me if I called earlier my reply was no because I did NOT call that day..
You had said no at first and then you told me you would call us AGAIN if you wanted another after I had rung you up, I take that to mean that you had indeed called earlier, or maybe it was your buddy. Either way, what follows makes this beside the point
What made me angry was the simple fact that everyone knows that its your job to get the prices right not mine.Yes, I was up here til 2:30 the morning before dealing with the order that hadn't landed til 10:30, came in the next day on my day off to make sure everything had gotten priced
Altering the price after I say I'm buying something is bad bizAlso not true, I had not been told you were going to buy one, I placed the new sticker on the tank and when you got upset I told you we'd honor the previous shipments price on 1 of them and then you tried to go even lower.
I was disappointed that you had to step in and do the right thing as the owner said nothing The owner doesn't do the fish ordering, that's my job so yeah, you caught me doing my job.
And to top it off My friend bought 2 Teugelsi Bichirs for $120 a couple of weeks before. when they were marked 79.99.And the person that sold them shouldn't have at that price, we ate money on that deal, they are marked as low as I possibly can just because I want to see more of them in the area, that's why the prices change on every order
There was 2 others that "were not for sale" Yup, those 2 are mine, I ordered them for myself and bought them for my 240g
Then you guys had them for 99.99 . So its not my fault I show up to your store and there is a sign on the tank that says 69.99You're right, and we honored that price did we not? You bought that bichir for 69.99 correct? IM sorry but my rating stands. You have every right to rate it that way i guess, but to get mad at me for doing my job and for getting a good deal... I'd understand your upset if you had paid $99.99 but you didn't.
I have been there several times. I have bought 2 bichirs there for$130.00 masivore pellets for$30 nightcrawlers $5 I brought my friend there from Olympia who bought the 2 bichirs for $120. who should be thankful????????????????????????You have spent $165 at the store, we appreciate it truly, but you are the first person in my 4 years here that is upset over getting what they wanted at a discounted price
My responses are in red.
All in all, I just can't understand how someone can be upset over getting a fish that should have been $99.99 for $69.99. I just want everyone that reads this to understand that at the end of the day you still got the fish you came up here for at the price that you wanted. Which actually happens to be 30% off, my bad... still 5% better than what us employees get.

anthony

I'm not mad at anyone. I said that YOU stepped up and did the right thing. The owner is the one who negotiated that $120 deal with my friend. I'm just rating a fish store based on fish and experience. YOU feel I got the fish on a discount....I feel I got the fish for what the price tag on the tank said. You did make it right ,but I feel it should have never happened the way it did .I still gave your store a 5 for variety, and mentioned that you have rare fish. Im done with this topic. have a good one

Madness

Staff member
What part of p.m.'s are we not understanding? Sounds like Midway and Alex made everything right. So discussion is done.

Lamental Jester

Awwww, but madness, it was just getting interesting *Puts the popcorn away*

Anyways....

Overall: 4
Cost: 4
Quality of fish: 3.5
Variety: 3.5
Service: 4

Visited this place with PokeSephiroth and lars on the day of the SWAP. Dug the place for the most part. The back half was kinda dirty, but I liked their supply of tanks they had availible. I would visit again if I'm in the area.

Quality of fish: 3.5
Variety: 4

Lamental Jester, lars on, and I went there during the SAAS (Seattle Area Aquarium Swap) and I bought some Purple Cabomba from there, along with a canister filter part, that I couldn't find anywhere. Service was okay for me, and we were generally left at peace while browsing their fish. Definitely a larger collection of fish compared to other stores I've been to :D

BillHN

Overall Experience: 4
Cost: 3.5
Quality of Fish: 5
Variety:4
Service: 5

The staff are great, I've yet to meet this "Alex" character that everyone recommends I meet, but apparently he's THE fish guy I'd want to talk to if I wanted anything from there.

Good prices on most of the stuff.

A

Anonymous

The staff are great, I met and dealt with Alex the fish guy. I traded fishes if I wanted anything from there. Ok prices on most of the stuff. But never had problems with them.

anthony

Midway Fish And Pets

experience 5
cost 4
quality 4
variety 4
service 5

I haven't been to midway for a long time . But even though they didn't have what I was looking for this time, The store looked better than I have ever seen it. They had a good variety of fish and I was amazed by some electric blue acaras they looked just like ebjd(I liked them more). All the tanks were bright and shiny clean and the staff was friendly and helpful . I got my usual 12 night crawlers for $2.00 and some prime. This will be my new go to spot even though it's farther away.

poffman

Quality of fish: 4
Variety: 4

I think that the staff is really knowledgeable, and they have some really neat fish, salt and freshwater selection are really amazing, and the prices tend to be pretty inexpensive depending on what you are getting. Personally if it was my business I wouldn't let people inside it with it that dirty, they need to reorganize and clean in a major way.. If that doesn't both you, great place to go. I'm not an insane neat freak but I find the back area of the place disgusting and worry about bringing my daughter in there to be totally honest. I've been happy with fish i've gotten there, and I think they take good care of them. The tanks are a little dirty but I think that mainly it's due to their age.

A

Anonymous

The staff are great, I dealt with Alex the fish guy again. I traded my last African cichlids for a beautiful american cichlid. But never had problems with them. Great ppl.

NightFury

Overall Experience: 1
Quality of Fish: 1
Service: 3

I really liked the initial store experience. Great selection and nice enough people. Non live fish products were jammed pack in a dark area. My problems began when I brought the fish home Rams and neons. The rams had ick and bacterial infections. All fish are dead now. They went into an established quarantine tank, so thank god they didn't contaminate my other fish.

Overall Experience 4+
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 5

Been too long since I was in there. Painting the blue on the backs of all the tanks has improved the overall appearance of this traditional style pet store, making it a tad brighter. We always like visiting with Alex, and it was good to see him again. He had some quality red cherry shrimp that my friend bought. This store really stocks so many items for the hobbyist.

B

big01612

fishloverRon said:
Overall Experience 4+
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 5

Been too long since I was in there. Painting the blue on the backs of all the tanks has improved the overall appearance of this traditional style pet store, making it a tad brighter. We always like visiting with Alex, and it was good to see him again. This store really stocks so many items for the hobbyist.

I agree on all he posted. Even the numbers.

John

keman

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 4

My girlfriends and I spend so much time at Midway, they treat us like family...

No matter where you go to buy fish and supplies, there are going to be some dead fish or tanks with issues. These guys are no exception. The difference is that they care and do the best they can to keep their tanks and fish healthy. The knowledge base and variety make them my "go to" store when it comes to what I need.

I just set up a 125 gallon tank for a group of Rope fish that I will be buying from Midway just as soon as the tank completes full nitrogen cycle... I trust the family at Midway far more than any of the "shiny" pet stores. If you enter a dedicated aquarium/fish store and it does not have that "smell", something is not right. Fish smell, filters smell. Midway smells like a well established fish store should. If you don't like the smell, go to petco... good luck...

90% of my wet pets came from Midway. I will always buy from the guys I trust there.

master chi

Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 3
Service 3

All threes for my experience. This by all means not bad. It just rates out as an average store.Fish prices were actually quite good. However the prices on fish equipment was very high. They do a great job of arranging the amount of tanks to fit the space they are stored in. I did have issue with the lighting of some of their tanks. Because it was hard to determine the coloring of some fish. Each tank had such variation in brightness. Since I went in to find some nice Malawi cichlids,which they did have,the lighting actually deterred me from making a purchase of some Ps. Saulosi. Mainly they didn''t even seem to have the coloration expected of the species at all.It wasn't until I left in retrospect that I decided that the lights had such an impact on my decision. I would definitely go back. When I do I will simply ask they shed more dynamic light on the tanks where fish I'd like to buy are being held.

Cadster

Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 5
I've gone here fairly often in the past year. They do have a great variety of fish, and almost always something new. Lots of different tetras, rainbowfish, cories, rasboras, livebearers. Unusual cichlids and bichirs too. Cichlids from large to dwarf. Most of the fish look healthy but for some reason the swordtail/platy types usually look terrible, wasting away and droopy. And I often see dead fish in a tank or two but not in every tank. But I see that at a lot of other fish stores too with these species. I should quarantine fish from here and will do so in future since last time I bought a group of 6 and they all but one died within 2 days. But most other times, no problem at all.
A decent selection of aquatic plants too. There used to be a pond plant area outside too but it looks neglected and not sure if it's going to reopen.
Their merchandise collection is a little peculiar - some very old products in dusty boxes yet often high prices even on those - but they do cram a lot of selection in a very tight space. And I'd rather see the old inventory available than thrown out, for people who need parts for old filters or light fixtures. The back of the store is a messy array of old used tanks and stands mixed with the new tanks etc. and the used ones don't seem particularly cheap. A dimly lit area for aquarium lighting. More plants and fish back here, and it all seems to blend imperceptibly into "back storeroom"
Personally I find the odd spaces - some dark and some lit, some clean and some decrepit - kind of fun. Here's what I also appreciate: a small business that has been here for DECADES, even in this fairly bleak neighborhood. I think I went here as a teenager in the 1970's if I remember correctly. It seems to possibly be barely hanging on, so probably decorating and cleaning isn't a priority.. So I appreciate them hanging on and not only that, keeping a great variety of fish in stock. I know of only 2 other stores in the South End that I'd buy fish from and neither of those has as many different categories of fish.

hose91

Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 5

First time here. Came in just after opening on a Monday morning. Previous comments about the dirtiness and sort of unkempt back room environment are pretty spot on, but the tanks themselves were fairly spotless. Fish all looked pretty good, there were a few floaters but no visible signs of disease in any tanks. The store is much larger than I expected, and had a pretty nice selection across most of your normal fish categories. Great selection of the smaller characins, livebearers, minnows and tetra's. I thought I was done, then opened up into a whole 'nother room in the back of the store. Great selection of Tanganyikan altolamp/calvus, lots of flowerhorns, decent range of Malawi Mbuna and Peacock/Hap. Sometimes there weren't enough of a species to make a decent harem group, but overall pretty good selection. I bought some platties for my planted 29G and the service was excellent and the fish look to be pretty healthy after the first couple of hours of transition. Overall, pretty pleasantly surprised by the store, would definitely come back again.

Cadster

Update to my previous post: I should say that their selection is indeed wonderful and prices quite low on the Fish compared to many others in the area. The disease problem I see a lot there is wasting disease in Livebearers - lots of fish with sunken bellies. It probably depends which tank. But non-livebearers seem ok. I am avoiding livebearers there but I'll still go there. I've never seen ICH in their tanks which I have seen a lot in a Renton fish store.