Midway Tropical Fish and Pets- Kent

GoodnNuff

Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 5

Always find something interesting at this store. They often have unusual or hard to get (locally) varieties hidden here and there in the tanks. Good selection of shrimp as well. Sometimes there are dead fish in the tanks, other times the tanks sparkle. The place stinks and is full of cobwebs - which doesn't bother me...but I purchased a Fluval LED light for a Nano tank here a few weeks ago. Brought the box in the house where it sat for over 24 hours before I opened it, when I did open it, there were 6 Silverfish in the box (the bug - not the aquatic type) which was kind of gross - makes me wonder how many crawled out in my SUV or the house before I found those six. But it is still one of my favorite places to shop.

Stingro

The first few times I visited I was frustrated because of the lack of service. They are very busy most times. They are not very clean but they carry fish you won't find in other stores. These are one of those stores I love to visit because of the treasure you might find. I now like to call ahead of time and go in early around 10 am when they open. The two young guys are good dudes who help a lot. The owner seem nice and will cut you a fair deal.

Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 4

zabelkid

Overall Experience 3
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 4
Service 3

The last two or three times I came here there was atleast 5 tanks with floating or dead fish in the tank. I just can't trust that they won't sell me some from a tank that needs to be quarantined. Since none are labeled quarantine or hold. Service has gotten better. I am helped quickly. Sorry needs to be better health.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

This is not my usual stop in my fish store shopping but was very impressed this day. Super friendly staff, fish all looked good, in fact I picked up two XL bala sharks from them. This store is a bit out of the way for me but was worth the drive. Very good overall experience!

FishBeast

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

This is not my usual stop in my fish store shopping but was very impressed this day. Super friendly staff, fish all looked good, in fact I picked up two XL bala sharks from them. This store is a bit out of the way for me but was worth the drive. Very good overall experience!
Love that shop. Not too far! They have nice selections. Family owned too, I believe. They also stock weird size tanks like 33 longs and 4x2x2 120G. Also they won't jack you with their prices.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 3
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 3
Service 3

Kind of a tough one to review today. Was looking for a very specific pleco which they had for a great price. The pleco was called an "Asian spot pleco" which is nonsense since this is not a native of Asia, lol. Even if raised in Asia use the name/number that is proper to correctly ID it. The pleco I was after was an L001 (Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus), a sailfin variety that gets about 11" and common named the "gold spot". Anyway it was $4.99 for a pleco that I had seen elsewhere for double.
IMG_20201101_161204171.jpg
Some bad parts of the review: Tons of dead fish spread out in a lot of tanks. Lots of dirty tanks. Two people working seemed very overwhelmed trying to keep up with all the customers.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 3
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 3
Service 3

Went to three stores today and this was the 1st on the list. It was pretty disgusting... multiple filthy tanks and empty tanks. Why would you not clean the front glass off on tanks that you are selling fish from? Overstocked plecos in other tanks could easily be spread out to help keep algae in check. I did find a nice “medium” mopani for $9.95 so not a wasted trip.

Edit: After @FishBeast comment, I did agree about tanks. This was the place where I got my 36”, 30 gallon tank. This one is not common at all with most places only selling 30”, 29 gallon tanks instead. They usually also carry a 38 gallon which is my tank but taller. They did have a 46 gallon bowfront in stock.

Last edited:

FishBeast

Overall Experience 3
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 3
Service 3

Went to three stores today and this was the 1st on the list. It was pretty disgusting... multiple filthy tanks and empty tanks. Why would you not clean the front glass off on tanks that you are selling fish from? Overstocked plecos in other tanks could easily be spread out to help keep algae in check. I did find a nice “medium” mopani for $9.95 so not a wasted trip.
I go to this one as a guilty pleasure, just because the darkness and chaotic layout reminds me of my childhood LFS. The prices are pretty good and they do get some nice specimens in from time to time. What I really like is their selection of weird size tanks.

Madness

Staff member
Overall Experience 1
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 1
Variety 2
Service 2

So very sad. Fish looked sickly, fish floating at the top of the tank completely covered in fungus fuzz. Such a disappointing visit...

Madness

Staff member
Overall Experience 3
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 2
Service 3

Went back here because they got some clown loaches in and they are only 7$. It is nice to see that Alex is working here again, and already the tanks are looking much better.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 1 (See pic below)
Variety (Not rated)
Service 5

Okay this is a tough one. I wanted a tank and they had it at a price I wanted so that part was good. I based my review numbers on that more than anything else. The staff was very helpful and friendly.
New 46 gallon bowfront:
IMG_20201229_150951620.jpg

But fish wise they still need a lot of improvement. Here is an example of the bad tank situation. I wouldn't want to buy a fish from this tank...
IMG_20201229_141143446.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 1 (See pic below)
Variety (Not rated)
Service 5

Okay this is a tough one. I wanted a tank and they had it at a price I wanted so that part was good. I based my review numbers on that more than anything else. The staff was very helpful and friendly.
New 46 gallon bowfront:
View attachment 7443

But fish wise they still need a lot of improvement. Here is an example of the bad tank situation. I wouldn't want to buy a fish from this tank...
View attachment 7444
But algae is healthy.....

BPSabelhaus

This year they have really stepped things up imo. More selection, the backroom is getting organized and filled with new fish, decor etc...

Its still Midway, but I feel they're taking some steps forward. Really nice goldfish when we were there yesterday, plus a nice cichlid tank.

PXL_20231102_232724148.jpgPXL_20231102_232601623.jpgPXL_20231102_230931920.jpg

The ol' ceiling Arowana. Kiddo loves seeing that and the big bubble tank by the register.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
29MAR visit
Tanks in front fish room were cleanish with some dead. Back fish room was dirty.
There's a 18yr old plus 65g All Glass still sitting in the box in the back. I tried to purchase it when I first moved up here when mine smashed.
Lots of variety with decent price. Almost picked up some fancy endless and guppies. Saw some not so good looking H. multispinosa rainbow cichlids. A lone T kaiser.