Midway Tropical Fish and Pets- Kent

TRD_Power

Overall: 4.5
Cost: 4
Quality of fish: 4
Variety: 4.8
Service: 4.5

Only had bad service from one guy here. Not many places carry Redtail Barracuda's and Vampire Tetra's at the same time, so that earns MAJOR points in the variety section from me! :)

humsuplou

overall experience: 4.5
cost:4
quality of fish: 4
variety 4
service 4

Pretty good overall. Happy with their selections on African cichlids.

protocl

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

This place carries most, if not all the best fish foods and aquarium equipment hardware!

Pleco_Party

Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 3

This is one of the 2 aquatic pet stores that I go to almost every week. They always have a good selection. The service is a 3 because a few of the guys that work there make me feel weird about bothering them. But the bald guy and Alex are very very helpful. If I ask Alex if they have anything new or cool he goes out of his way to show me. He even shows me stuff that they can order if I want. I think everyone should check this place out. Good Variety and great prices, that is the reason I always come back.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I stopped by today with my son.... a lot of tanks were in sad shape with multiple fish sick. I was surprised as i have never experienced this before and then I heard even worse news that the owner had passed away a week ago. I didn't know him personally, but it still saddens me! I am also sad that midway may be suffering because of this. wish i lived closer, i'd volunteer to clean some of those tanks.

Madness

Staff member
Damn, I did not know that. I knew that the tanks were suffering but didnt know why. One of the all time classic stores, been around for ever. Hope they pull through.

jettej

I just called them about 2 weeks ago and they answered all my questions fine. only thing I noticed was they were a lil bit busy or something really wasnt right. I feel bad for the family and the business had a few chats with the owner he's nice.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I agree, they were still really friendly and knowledgeable! I just noticed that a few of the african tanks had dead fish that were covering in slime, and a couple of c. american tanks that were covered in brown algae with the fish gasping at the top. There was a young man working on some of the tanks in the back..... but like you said, he seemed to be a lil bit busy!

Ubermunch

Overall Experience 4.5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 4
I actually got 1 Gymnogeophagus"Blue Neon", 1 Pinoy Angel, 1 Silver Angel, 1 Gold Angel and a some plants. Staff seemed knowledgeable but busy place. Tanks were looking somewhat bad( need cleaning, dead fish need to be removed)

binbin9

One of my favorite store. And not just becasue I live only 5 minutes away. Alex is a pleasure to deal with.

They probably have the best shrimp selection of any store I've been to by far! Scored a SSS crystal Black there last night after selling them my dragon scales.

overall experience 5
cost 4
quality of fish 4
variety 5
service 5

janky

overall experience 2
cost 3
quality of fish 2
variety 5
service 1
I know this is a community favorite, and I hate to be negative but I've never been comfortable buying fish here. I am really sorry to hear about their loss, and I wish them the best personally, but I never understood why the store itself gets such high ratings.

I've gone there a few times looking for specific things because their variety is awesome, but every time I was grossly disappointed by the store conditions, tank conditions, dead fish and disease everywhere, and terrible customer service.

I would say I've gone there maybe 4 times total, and only once has anyone ever greeted me or asked if I needed help. Weird. When I ask questions it seems like I'm annoying them (and I'm not 'window-shopping' and playing 20 ?s either). Prices are on the high side as well.

Honestly, the store is filthy and smells horrible. The tanks are pretty awful too. Sorry to sound mean, I've just never been a fan of this store. It is definitely a last resort, and often I'm more willing to wait for someone else to order something than I am to drive there and buy what they have in stock.

Salzabar

Overall experince 5

I found my white (actually golden) Axolotl last Saturday here. The store was packed full of customers yet my daughter was able to get help right away. The price is what I expected to pay for a golden Axolotl.
cost 5
Quality of fish 5
variety 5
service 5

Did I see some sick and dead fish? Yes. Sick fish had signs on tanks stating so. Dead fish we're in the process of getting netted out.

Great store if you want advise or trying to find a part for your filter that you just can't bring yourself to order online.

If it smells bad then you know you're at a pet store. They sell more than just fish.

A

Anonymous

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 3
Service 2

A

Anonymous

OK,
I do like this place for their fish and shrimp I give a 5 :D

anthony

This place has a great variety of fish, but I do see lots of dead or diseased fish here. I also see polypterus Teugelsi, and scarlet plecos. So I'm looking and at a tank with 2 Teugelsi bichirs in it .They are marked $69.99 .The staff is busy so I get the owner to help me. I ask him to feed the bichirs so I can decide witch one I'm going to buy. He feeds them, and I tell him to give me a second to decide witch one I'm gonna buy. He leaves and 2 seconds later some guy comes over and rips the price down and puts up a new one that says $99.99. when I tell him what the hell are you doing I'm buying that he says the owner told me to. We go find the owner and I tell him are you really gonna try and mark the price up on me after I told you I'm gonna but that? he replies its the wrong price "that was the last batch" After saying that's B.S. I'm never coming back the guy who came over with the new price says dude you can have it for $69. I have found rare fish here ,They have dickered with me on prices before. I'll go just for the rare stuff but always keep my guard up

Overall experience 1
cost 3
quality of fish 3
variety 5
service 1

nick_76

overall experience 3
cost 3.5
quality of fish 4
variety 4
service 4

this is generally my "go-to" store...pretty much because its on the way home, whereas the others are out of my way and with trafic being what it is, normally i just wanna go home after work...so the less running around the better...

the people are great, and they let me browse in peace far more than the folks at sierra do. ive gotten my tank and 3 of my discus there

the only downside, and it is a real downside, to this store is it seriously needs a thorough cleaning in the rear half of the store...bulk pond food has about 1/2 in layer of dead (&living) bugs in it and the rear has just piles and piles of stuff- not even aquaria related- like a storage unit exploded back there. this is an area travelled by customers...so it definately colored my initial impressions of the place

that being said, ive been happy with the tank & fish ive purchased there, along with whatever supplies and advice ive gotten from them. just wish the place were cleaner, then it really would be a must-visit LFS

Jacko

@anthony

I'm sorry you found your visit to be so irritating. I'm the one who actually helped you when you visited Midway. I just want to say I find your review out of line, given that you called in earlier that day and were told 99.99 as it was a new batch, that's no B.S. After freight on that order we were lucky to break even on that fish at the 69.99 price from the previous shipment. Polypterus collectors know the worth of a teugelsi and one should be happy that we sold it for the previous shipments price, which I only did because you told me you were a WaFishboxer. You should feel lucky that you got the 99.99 bichir for a 69.99 price, not be upset that we honored a previous shipments price. That's more of a discount than I get there as an employee. I've worked here for almost 4 years now and I have always striven to make everyone walk away happy. And how you can't walk away happy with a 40% discount on your fish perplexes me.

Regards,
Alex