Let's Talk About Fish Food

TerenceH

madness said:
If i use the food as a regular staple, I got 1lb or more, if it is just to feed occasionally as a change of pace, I got 1/2lb. Plus, for my fish, I mix all the food together. Once in a while I will feed each one of the foods separately so that they dont get use to just one type in the mix.
actually that is what i do just mix all my food together.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have noticed that each fish has its favorite when I mix it up and each will pick the one they like. So I am not so sure about mixing... then again I have only 3 things in my mix right now.

Adonijah

DMD123 said:
I have noticed that each fish has its favorite when I mix it up and each will pick the one they like. So I am not so sure about mixing... then again I have only 3 things in my mix right now.
I got 4 right now.. But as per of advice from Shawn I am cutting the large pellets out :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I used to include the large pellets in my mix to slow down the greedy eaters like the silver dollars. Even my 11" Midas only ate the small and medium sizes.

With this new mix of fish I use small Super Color Omega One floating pellets, Xtreme Pee Wee cichlid pellets(sinking) and Tetra Color Crisp (flake).

My fish do not like the Xtreme so I might try the Omega One Marine pellets with garlic instead.

Madness

Staff member
Food has been ordered. I requested some free samples, so we will see. If they send me some samples I will let you all know.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks madness for getting that together for us all! :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A few of us are eagerly awaiting the Ken's order for food!

Just some thoughts on the Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic for you guys. I purchased this feeling that maybe it would be a better food item than Tetra Color Crisps.

I like Omega One products and have had good success with it on my fish. But I did not like this product. The flakes ranged from giant pieces to crumbs and some would not even break apart that easily when wet. They would float around in these large pieces. You could tell the fish did not like the yellowish ones. The fish did not even seem that interested in the food.

I have to give it to Tetra with the Crisp thing. It is just a bit sturdier of a flake and has uniform size and just seems to hold up a bit better. So even though it may not be as nutritious of a product it does seem better made/designed.

So I feel as if I wasted money on the Omega One but if I sneak it in with the Tetra the fish will eat it, just not by itself.

Madness

Staff member
Looks like Ken's is not starting out on the right foot with me. I was told they were shipping immediately and would be here this Friday. Now it says that it shipped today, (5 days after I ordered) and will be here next Tuesday, the 20th.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, not a good start.

I will let you know how the new company I PM'd you about is.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So tonight for dinner I had a salad. I had bought some small precooked frozen shrimp to put on it and after thawing I threw one in the tank. It sank to the bottom with all the fish staring at it.

This shrimp was meant for the new pleco. Well as I am leaving the room I watch all the fish go at this piece of shrimp and just start tearing it apart. So I cut up some for them and was surprised how they ate it.

In fact even the silver dollars were picking the food off the bottom which is very unusual behavior. It is kind of difficult for them with the large hook on the bottom to even do this maneuver. I had never tried this at all the last 3 years of fish keeping. I had tried bits of raw prawn and no success so I did not even think to try cooked shrimp.

Just one of those moments I had to share.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
Did the finicky ones eat also?
The only real fish with an issue is the bocourti. I put the others down that were looking real bad. He did perk up and look at it but did not eat. That is why I am going to try the Seachem stuff (kanaplex) I was telling you about. Mix it into food and put in water.

Betty

Staff member
madness said:
Looks like Ken's is not starting out on the right foot with me. I was told they were shipping immediately and would be here this Friday. Now it says that it shipped today, (5 days after I ordered) and will be here next Tuesday, the 20th.
Sounds like you're starting out like I did. :shock:
I hope it doesn't end the way my experience did!

Adonijah

DMD123 said:
A few of us are eagerly awaiting the Ken's order for food!

Just some thoughts on the Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic for you guys. I purchased this feeling that maybe it would be a better food item than Tetra Color Crisps.

I like Omega One products and have had good success with it on my fish. But I did not like this product. The flakes ranged from giant pieces to crumbs and some would not even break apart that easily when wet. They would float around in these large pieces. You could tell the fish did not like the yellowish ones. The fish did not even seem that interested in the food.

I have to give it to Tetra with the Crisp thing. It is just a bit sturdier of a flake and has uniform size and just seems to hold up a bit better. So even though it may not be as nutritious of a product it does seem better made/designed.

So I feel as if I wasted money on the Omega One but if I sneak it in with the Tetra the fish will eat it, just not by itself.
I've got a batch without the garlic and I feel the Marine flake has changed how I view flake as a food for these guys. I had some old TetraMin and my guys wont even touch that stuff. But they devour the marine flakes and the water isn't cloudy.

Sorry to hear about your experience, cuz of you I'm tending to favor my omega one foods over hikari

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I still like Omega One products just not impressed with the flake much. The inconsistent sizes and the fact some colors the fish dont eat bother me. But it is just like most other flake in that regard. The Tetra may not be as good but the whole crisp design was well done.

Adonijah

I feel that way about Tetra, my fish never ate the red stuff, crisps or flake. I dunno my small green terrors eat Omega up, I don't mind the multi size to it.

Can't wait to mix it up though when the order comes in!!!