Contributing Member Level III
Wow that discus formula has a LOT of protein. :affraid:

Crude Protein 50.0% min.
Crude Fat 12.0% min.
Crude Fiber 3.0% max.
Moisture 10.0% max.
Ash 1.0% max.

Massivore has only like 47%

I should have started all the fish on that discus formula, they would have bulked up quick!

Anthraxx

yeah its good for bulk up and has all the color pigments youd want as well (discus need to be pretty) i use it on my peacock growouts as well. but like i said its tiny stuff and ur gravel would eat it up. maybe adding it to a gel formula could work well idk.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got the new food in and tried it out last night. The fish acted like they hadn't ate in days and chowed on it like there was no tomorrow.

I think the appeal to the Oscars was the fact they have been fed small pellets and the sticks were beefier yet softer. The sev also like the food sticks. The sinking carnivore pellet was mainly with the pike in mind, I have not got it to eat pellets. But then all I had was floating. It has eaten goodies like worms and krill but I want it to eat pellets as a staple. So time to try to break it and get in on pellets. The parrot loved the carnivore and ate well. I dont think these items will be a total replacement for my Omega One just a mix in the diet so that the fish do not get too finicky or picky.

aaronfeeney

Man... my Pike sneaks up on the floating pellets, then strikes hard, sometimes hitting the tank lid, and startling me . Try a Garlic suppliment, makes fish eat anything. soak the pellets in Garlic (the kind made for fish) then watch the feeding frenzy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My pike is pretty shy still. She just wont try and compete against the aggressive feeders. I do have some of the garlic stuff, just have not used it in a while so I will give it a shot. I completely forgot about using it! Thanks for the reminder. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have had success with healthy fish but I originally bought it to coax some sick fish to eat. They apparently were too far gone to even be enticed by garlic. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just a follow up on the Hikari Food Sticks.

The fish totally devour the stuff. I have no issue with acceptance, they immediately took to it and love it. The problem.... It causes my water to smell! I thought it was just me and then I read on another forum someone else commented on this same issue. Its not like there is much wasted food, all the fish except the smaller Oscar eat it up without issue. The small Oscar grinds it up a bit but the small silver dollars tend to get the pieces. After I finish up the bag I might try something else because the water gets really stinky!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The free shipping at Ken's does not kick in until the $150 spending level.... :(

iandraco

hikari first bites and NLS grow for fry. NLS cichlid formula and thera+a for adaults as well as omega one cichlid flake and HBH super soft krill and spirulina. hikari algae discs and sinking wafers and HBH shrimp pellets for plecos and bottom feeders.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of an update.

I finally ordered the correct size xtreme pellets! :cheers: Dont be talked into the pee wee like I did unless you raise tiny fish. This time I got the 3mm Big Fella stick. The fish love it. Not quite as quickly accepted as the Hikari food sticks but no real issues getting the fish to take it. Not sure if you could call it floating or sinking :scratch: It slowly sinks and does not drop and hit bottom quick, so maybe a semi floating...