Let's see those puffers!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Nice!! i have never had puffers before...but...i have some tanks in the fishroom with horrible pond and ramshorn snail problems. I was looking into a few pea puffers to handle it. Question... once I get the problem cleared up(it WILL take a while) will i need to still supply snails to them?

It took a lot of research on my part before I finally did a puffer and my first was the hairy puffer. Very intelligent fish and outgoing as any cichlid. Just really lazy, lol. My reason for choosing the lurkers is that the places where the tanks are, in my office and in the garage, dont have a lot of foot traffic so an active fish was really not needed. They also do not really require dental care since they are pretty much piscivores. While not necessary I will on occasion feed a hard shelled item, in my case Ive used small shore crabs. The puffer love to hunt them down to eat.

As to the dwarf pea puffers, Ive read they dont 'need' snails but it would still be good to give them on occasion to keep their teeth in check. Ive never raised any dwarf puffers but on my wist list of fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well the new arrowhead definitely has worms figured out. He ate two night crawlers and looked at me like he wanted more but I had ran out. He didnt even twitch when I used long tongs to get the worm to him. He didn’t meet the tong or anything like that but he didnt swim away. Very bold when it comes to his tummy.

I had to open up the garage door for a minute so some natural light came in and he didn’t like that too much because I found him buried in the sand.

He has a vicious look compared to my hairy puff who looks ‘cute’. Also seems like a much more aggressive feeder than the hairy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Can you see him?
IMG_20181011_170504605.jpg

There he is
IMG_20181011_puff.jpg

IMG_20181011_170418660.jpg

Betty

Staff member
If the sand was brown, I don't think I would have been able to find him. This one is cute too, just not in the same way as the hairy. Does he/she have a name yet?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
If the sand was brown, I don't think I would have been able to find him. This one is cute too, just not in the same way as the hairy. Does he/she have a name yet?
This one hates me :(... Well not really. It just does not respond to me yet. So no name just yet. It has the very prominent 'V' or arrowhead on it, which kind of reminds me of a Mohawk haircut. It also like to dig and bury in the sand. So at this point still watching it to determine the name.

Almost flounder-like camo skill!
Its funny just how fast it does this. Just kind of dives into the sand and wiggles a little and poof its gone.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I got a shock today...

Cleaning the hairy puffer tank and doing a gravel vac, I see this
IMG_20181209_095814065.jpg

IMG_20181209_095832138.jpg

Scruffy my hairy puffer laid eggs... Scruffy is a girl! lol