Let's see those puffers!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Come on guys we need some puffer updates....

Here is some inspiration of why puffers rule:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Love me some puffers. I did the dental surgery on Sean Puffy Combs a few weeks ago. It went pretty well. I got nervous after I got the first tooth trimmed and didn't get the second one as short as it should be... so he's gotta go back under the clove oil for another treatment. He eats so much better when his teeth are trimmed.

I'm down to ONE solo pea puffer and she's FAAATTTT!

LOVE me some PUFFERS!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@VickiK, the tooth trimming was something I didnt want to tacle so lurker puffer for me.
I just realized I have had Scruffy the hairy puffer for 4 years now.

Ive been thinking about getting another puffer when Im done with the 65b as a growout. I really want an arrowhead/pig nosed but they dont come around very often.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Scruffy updates
IMG_20181004_182954469.jpg

IMG_20181004_183041586.jpg
IMG_20181004_183054619.jpg

IMG_20181004_183103106.jpg

IMG_20181004_183127233.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Still looking good -- so cute -- I want one. :thumbsup
Thanks Betty! This has been an interesting fish for sure. I though cichlids were the end all be all of personality and then I found puffers. Very outgoing and bold little guys with a ton of personality!

discus_2013

I kept my congo puffer with ornate bichirs for a very long time, they can have tank mates its just a matter of how much space they have , as well as individual temperments, but it can be done.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to order another puff. I just ordered another lurker, a Suvattii (Mekong/Pig Nose/Arrowhead).

Will update with pics when it comes in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
In the meantime a full tank shot of the hairy puffer

The puffer loves to perch on a piece of driftwood waiting for food
IMG_20181006_105819256.jpg

clownie

Nice!! i have never had puffers before...but...i have some tanks in the fishroom with horrible pond and ramshorn snail problems. I was looking into a few pea puffers to handle it. Question... once I get the problem cleared up(it WILL take a while) will i need to still supply snails to them?

FishBeast

Nice!! i have never had puffers before...but...i have some tanks in the fishroom with horrible pond and ramshorn snail problems. I was looking into a few pea puffers to handle it. Question... once I get the problem cleared up(it WILL take a while) will i need to still supply snails to them?
They don't have the overgrowth problem that other puffer species do but they still appreciate snails for keeping the teeth trimmed and it seems to stimulate their hunting instinct as well. You can keep a small snail farm going in small tank or tub (2.5 to 5 gallons). Optional sponge filter but they seem to multiply more rapidly with cleaner water. No heater needed. You can even keep it near a window for algae and stick a pothos in for nitrate reduction! Unlimited snails!