Let's see those puffers!

discus_2013

Cory keeps his with guppies, I used to house my Congo with Central Americans and bichir, but it depends on the fish, I had my Congo for 4 years and housed it with all kinds of cichlids with no issues, the bigger puffers I don’t know enough about yet.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Cory keeps his with guppies, I used to house my Congo with Central Americans and bichir, but it depends on the fish, I had my Congo for 4 years and housed it with all kinds of cichlids with no issues, the bigger puffers I don’t know enough about yet.

But who worries about guppies? :lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I couldn’t keep anything with my dragon puffers... even themselves. Haha I had a fully stocked tank then added two dragon puffers.... first the platys went then the sword tails, and finally the Buenos Aires tetras

I ended up getting rid of them when they started biting each other. I don’t mind dedicating a tank to my favorite fish, but I’d need a more active puffer to even want to try that again

FishBeast

Are all of the larger freshwater puffers solitary tank residents? Now that I have a 220(72x24x30) my 9yr old is pushing me to do a puffer. I don’t want a large tank dedicated to just one fish.
You can keep an adult Fahaka in the 220 with tetras, livebearers and other small 1-2 inch fast fish that are not worth its time or energy chasing around. They also have to be fast enough not to be accidentally chomped during feeding.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been thinking about the huge amount of real estate I give my fairly inactive puffers... Each fish has a 65B all to itself! While these guys make a huge mess eating at times, they in no way need all this space. I could do 40B's and they would be fine. But that means more tanks which Im not sure I can get by the wife.

Anyway just a written update that both my puffs are doing well and are happy.

FishBeast

Been thinking about the huge amount of real estate I give my fairly inactive puffers... Each fish has a 65B all to itself! While these guys make a huge mess eating at times, they in no way need all this space. I could do 40B's and they would be fine. But that means more tanks which Im not sure I can get by the wife.

Anyway just a written update that both my puffs are doing well and are happy.
That is a really cool tank size! Your puffs are loving the life for sure. Plus less frequent water changes

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That is a really cool tank size! Your puffs are loving the life for sure. Plus less frequent water changes
True very easy maintenance. The 65B has a Aquaclear 110 to boot. A lot of filter for one tiny fish! On the one tank I also have an Eheim 2217 canister. I think one of these days Im going to pull it off the tank and sell it to get something else I can use.
New puff pic
IMG_20191009_200440784.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been a while and I noticed a ton of pics dont show anymore because of what I was using no longer exists. So I am adding some updated pics, and I tried to fix some of the missing pics.
IMG_20170724_205307897.jpg

IMG_20181004_182954469.jpg

IMG_20181004_183103106.jpg