Guess whats in the box?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I've been using the same thermometer on mine, not sure how accurate they are but it seems pretty close when I check it against the floating glass style. Did you get that FX6 from Aquarium Co-Op on black Friday too? :D

Sadly no. I got it online during BF

The thermometer seems pretty close in temp to the other one I have on the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Brought over an FX5 off the 210g. It was filthy since this had not been cleaned since the move and remodel. Installed it inline with the UV. Slight leak on the uv connection. If it keeps up I will just glue the fitting in place. Anyway all the bichir are in the 300 along with the little bala shark.

This is what all the filtration looks like in there:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Fish are all in the tank, except for the regani which Im working on a case of hole in the head. The selling of the house, move and remodel took its toll on it. Should be fine but felt sorry for him.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
First water change due to tannin from new mopani

Stump makes a good hideout

Fat and happy

Water much clearer after water change

Another viewpoint (as you come into the house)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Going on almost a week set up and everything seems to be running well. The water turns color pretty quickly due to the mopani tannin so I have changed water every other day now. I forgot how much of a poop machine the pleco is! I end up doing a small gravel vac of poo daily!

A couple more random pictures:

Teugelsi bichir named Tweedle due to the tweed patterning

Delhezi bichir named Darwin

Porkchop the pearsei in size comparison pic with the others. She is 14" now

This little guy has grown really sloooooow.... Heterospilus named Monty because they are called 'montecristo cichlid'
Snooki the red bay snook in the background

Interesting behavior with the fish in the big tank. The bichirs are all over the place and the teug will dash from one side of the tank to the other. The snook has staked out a little territory and been ultra aggressive and flares at all the fish. Porkchop has bit her a couple times now to keep her in line. Once this week of treatment is done on the regani and I put him back in the 300g Im sure the dynamics will change yet again. The fun of cichlids!

So now that Im all set up and running I have time to actually sit and watch my fish. Super happy with the way the aquarium came out!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you!

This is a super horrible picture but I had to include it to show the size of Bruce the bala shark.
He could be eaten at any moment by any of the fish in the tank! He hid a lot when he first was put in, now he is pretty bold and swims around all over. Will see if he grows and does not become a snack

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bored so pic of the kids bickering

Water change, tank looks clear. Very happy I spent extra on low iron glass. Ultra clear, 'crispy' looking water... except for the mopani bleeding tannin

A full living room shot

Thats it for now...

Betty

Staff member
Pork Chop is looking well fed and Bruce doesn't look big enough for her to waste time on. :)

The tank looks great -- fits nicely in the room -- looks well though out. It must be nice to finally have it all done.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Pork Chop is looking well fed and Bruce doesn't look big enough for her to waste time on. :)

The tank looks great -- fits nicely in the room -- looks well though out. It must be nice to finally have it all done.
Thanks Betty, so happy to have my fish at home.

Where do you sit to watch your fish? The couch faces the wrong way and the chairs at the dining table dont look comfortable enough for a good tank watching session. I loose hours watching mine.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Where do you sit to watch your fish? The couch faces the wrong way and the chairs at the dining table dont look comfortable enough for a good tank watching session. I loose hours watching mine.
Its easy to just turn around and watch from the couch. The open concept design we did really makes the tank the major focus.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I want Porkchop!

What else do you plan to keep in there?
She has quite the personality, Porkchop is my favorite.

As to stock, my signature has it all. The only fish not in there yet is my regani. But I am considering a change in some of the bottom fish. I might get rid of a couple bichirs and replace with some larger lower jaw bichirs instead.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been a bit now with the new tank set up and things are great. Water is nice and super clear now so the bacteria is now working like it should and the bit of cloudiness to the water is gone. I talked change of stock last time and I finally pulled the trigger and did it.

Rhino pleco, hoplo cat and smaller bichirs (delhezi, gold dust, palmas palmas) all rehomed and in their place two lower jaws. Bruce the bala shark got ate soon after the new additions. I thought I had been feeding the new bichirs well but bala was on the menu. :(

So the new additions are from Toyin at Rehoboth Aquatics. He specializes in wild caught bichirs
A few pics:
sp. Koliba lap

Dabola endli (Tinkisso river)

So my current stock is in my signature.

I also am waiting for my order from custom aquariums. I ordered another tank from them, a 65B that will house my little puffer.

Just thought I would update this with what is now going on.

Last edited: