Guess whats in the box?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I had got some new stock to add to the tank too!

The three amigos

Buettikoferi x1, palmas palmas x1, teugelsi x1

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I had got some new stock to add to the tank too!

The three amigos

Buettikoferi x1, palmas palmas x1, teugelsi x1
I looked these up on that website.... Man, you spent some cash! Jealous of this soon to be whole set up!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, I spent the weekend working on getting the tank set up. Got two of the filters (FX6's) set up and now need to figure in one more hooked up to a UV. That one will require a bit of custom plumbing.

One little issue with the tank I ran into was the glass tops. Turns out one of the openings is 1/8" larger than the others so the glass top is super loose in the opening to the point where one of my fish might actually be able to dislodge it and fall into the tank. Ive emailed the company to see what they would do. Hopefully cut me a new lid.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
You would expect that they would since it isn't your error! Let us know what they aay

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They emailed me this morning asking for the exact measurement of the opening with the intent of shipping out a new glass top.

Due to the custom nature of the company, I could see minor things like this happening.

I am super stoked to see things coming along, getting the FX6 rim connectors figured out and the intake and outputs installed were a challenge but its done. I could see where the Eheim 2262 would have the advantage here with the wide aluminum frame. I think it is also too wide to fit an AC110. I have not tried it to make sure but thinking it wont fit. I really wanted four FX filters going but I think three will be fine. This will leave me a back up filter in case I have any issues.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So Ive been working out a way to get my UV into the mix and Ive finally figured it out. I have to build a little framework to be able to attache this to:

This what a bit of a challenge since the FX5/6 filters really are not set up to adapt since they use their propriety hoses and rim connectors. Hope to get this done this weekend and... possible fill the tank Saturday.

Livebearer

Before filling it I'd be under the house adding structural support in this area under this tank first thing! It weighs as much as parking an older Toyota in your living room!!!

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Before filling it I'd under the house adding structural support in this area under this tank first thing! It weighs as much as parking an older Toyota in your living room!!!
Already done! We just bought and remodeled the house. Where the tank sits used to be a fireplace. When we pulled it out there was a huge concrete pad already there! We built off that. Plus the house has 2x8 car decking under the tank too!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Built the stand to hold the UV in place. Used 3/4" x 3-1/2" PVC trim board so that I would not have to finish paint it. This stuff will be water resistant and looks finished.

Need to add hose clamps to all the barbed fittings still.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My heater cords were a bit short so I need to add some extension cords. Did a bit of wiring inside the cabinet. I like the inside of the cabinet to look neat and organized.

Making sure to have drip loops and to have things secure and out of the way.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wife called and said replacement top is in. So I should be able to cut out the back strips and get that installed.

Working on my lighting right now. I am going to see how the lights off the 210g look on it. I have the current Satellite+ fixtures but they are only 36", so 6' of lighting on a 8' tank. Not sure if it will be bright enough.

I also run two sets of lights and timers to create a dusk/dawn effect. The other lights I had bought some years back and then they were discontinued. I recently found two more to complete my project.

These create a pinpoint light which works really well in having dark areas of the tank and a few brighter spots where the light shines.

Betty

Staff member
Those lights in the cabinet are a great idea. I wish mine looked as neat. I have so much junk and clutter crammed behind those doors. :eek:

I kind of like having some of my tanks with lights that don't extend across the full length. I like the look of the dimmer areas on the ends and it gives the fish a not so bright place to hang out if they want. :cool:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The lights really make it easy to see whats going on inside the stand. Its also cool because you can do different colors. Ground effects tank lighting! lol

Ive never done lighting shorter than a tank so this will be my first time for that. If I dont find it bright enough I might replace one 36" with a 48".

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well replacement top came in and it was the wrong size. The new length was correct but the width was for a wider tank. I emailed them as soon as I saw it and they responded back within 15 minutes. They are sending out another to me.

This is where I rate companies good or bad, when it comes to customer service. With some you get the service when you are going to buy but then if there is any issue or question afterward they are nowhere to be found. Custom Aquariums has been awesome throughout he whole process, getting back to me quickly regarding the issue with the glass top. Little bummed the part came in wrong but again happy with the level of service received.