Guess whats in the box?

Glad you're liking the Custom Aquariums tank. I've not seen many reviews of them so I'm watching with interest. What do you think of their aluminum framing?

I think it is pretty funny that their price sheet offers a 15 gallon aquarium for $323, made from 1/2" glass! I'm willing to bet they have never sold one. Their value proposition begins at the larger sizes, clearly.

The one nit I have with their price sheet is inaccuracy in what they call "model gallons". E.g. a 65 gallon tall is usually 36w * 24H * 18D, but their equivalent is labeled with "model gallons" of 75. (I'm looking at http://customaquariums.com/s-4-all-aquarium-standard-sizes.aspx).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Im super happy with the tank. The aluminum frame is great, I like the way its done and I know its stronger than plastic. Since Ive had a plastic frame crack before (120g tank) this was a big deal to me.

Yeah the price sheet could use some work! I really suggest just calling them. When I first was looking into the tank I wanted a 240g. At least that's what EVERY OTHER company calls it! Custom Aquariums calls it a 280g (24 x 24 x 96). I was pretty set on it until I saw the price to go up to 30". It was barely any more, with a large amount of gallons added. Well that brought up an issue with whether 1/2" glass was adequate. Turns out the actual tank comes with 5/8" and the calculator does not even show this as a choice.

Its funny you mention the 65g.... Im looking at getting one of those next!
My puffer currently is in a 40B but I hate the fact its a Tetra brand tank and you can kind of see a bit of bowing to it. Also a bit shallow for my liking. but yeah funny they call it a 75g when everyone else says 65g breeder size.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah was going to talk about the plastic frame issue. I had bought a Top FIN 120g tank new with stand from Petsmart. This was a cool size with a 60" x 18" footprint and it was made by Marineland. Over time the plastic frame cracked in the lower two opposing corners. This was noticed when I was going to sell the tank a little over a year and a half later because I got a 210g. Thankfully the Top Fin carried a lifetime warranty. I was able to take it back and get a full refund on it! But with this new large tank I did not want plastic frame or euro-bracing, I wanted something sturdy. Was happy with the aluminum frame choice.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Worked on my electrical and installed the power strip where my timers will go.

So the LED lighting inside the stand allows me to color change, so ground effects tank lighting!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been down with a cold and have not done much well except fill the tank up

Side view. Very clear! Happy I went with the low iron glass!

Heaters are calibrating at 75 deg. will need to adjust them up a bit. Will put some sand in tomorrow.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Once you upgrade to a 65.... I'm going to need a 40b for my wife's turtles soon. Haha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the goal is to replace the 40B with a 65B but keep it as a hospital tank. The 75gallon will likely go just because I have no room in this little house.

So I have been battling getting the temps to rise with the two fancy 300 watt Fluval E series heaters I got going. These are way to advanced for their own good. After an entire evening (over 12 hours) going at an 80 degree setting the temp did not go up from the 75 deg. mark it was at. though the screens on them showed the temp was below the ideal. I replaced one of the heaters with a 250w SERA and within hours temps started to go up. Itts almost as if the fluvals are trying to protect from an overheat to the point where all they can do is maintain a low 75-77 temp range but can't actually heat colder water. Granted the heater is rated for 100g each and Im a bit over but Ive never had heaters just not budge like this. It should not be that difficult since the tanks are indoors and Im only trying to go up 2 degrees.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The replacement for the replacement glass top came in and it fit perfectly. They really got this one out fast. Pretty impressive.

lymitliss

Just out of curiosity, did you have the tops on when you were trying to get the tank up to operating temperature? I have two Eheim 300 Watts in my 300g and they didn't reach 76 till I cut tops and installed them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, tops were on. The original top sent fit but was loose. If my fish were in they could easily dislodge it and it could have fell in tank. But it was sealed enough to keep heat in. The main thing was the heater itself. The Fluval E just could not heat the water. I watched to coils turn red and then it would shut off right away. The SERA heater turned on and would stay on and actually heat.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Most of my sand is in the tank. I have to pull some out of the 210g to finish. Starting to look like home. Will try and get porkchop and the gang over this weekend.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Most of my sand is in the tank. I have to pull some out of the 210g to finish. Starting to look like home. Will try and get porkchop and the gang over this weekend.
Finally..... Haha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Other heater came in!

Will see how only 500 watts does on 300g

This cool digital thermometer came as a promo with the FX6

Getting closer....

JimmyZ

I have been heating my 240 with a inline 300w and it works fine. I do have I think a 150w set a bit lower for back up.

I've heard good things about the Sera heaters. Kindof a retro throwback design that (maybe) hasn't yet been ruined by cheap build quality. Aren't they relatively short for the wattage?

One thing I've heard about the Fluval heaters is that they need to be in a spot with good flow. Was that the case in your tank?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have been heating my 240 with a inline 300w and it works fine. I do have I think a 150w set a bit lower for back up.
I have used the hydor in line heaters on my 210g and they worked well but after some quality and longevity issues with some recent ones I had I decided not to use them anymore. What they make now is not the same as what is on my 210g that were purchased many years ago.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard good things about the Sera heaters. Kindof a retro throwback design that (maybe) hasn't yet been ruined by cheap build quality. Aren't they relatively short for the wattage?

One thing I've heard about the Fluval heaters is that they need to be in a spot with good flow. Was that the case in your tank?
Ive used the SERA on other tanks for years and have had good success. They are reasonably sized with them being the equivalent size as the fluval. They are much shorter than an Eheim but not overly short. The Fluvals were placed near the intakes of the FX6 so the flow was fine. I had read up on that issue with them.

JimmyZ

I have used the hydor in line heaters on my 210g and they worked well but after some quality and longevity issues with some recent ones I had I decided not to use them anymore. What they make now is not the same as what is on my 210g that were purchased many years ago.

That's what I have, it's about 3 years old and have not had a problem, maybe I got one of the good ones?

lymitliss

I've been using the same thermometer on mine, not sure how accurate they are but it seems pretty close when I check it against the floating glass style. Did you get that FX6 from Aquarium Co-Op on black Friday too? :D