Got the ball rolling... new fish in the works

hose91

Congrats, that's awesome!  The crayfish video was especially impressive.  I'm actively planning a 20L low tech planted tank with 4-5 pea puffers in it for the family room.  Can't wait to see pics of your new one.  

I spent some time on the Puffer Forum after one of your last posts mentioned it, and was impressed.  I have a new 40B thats empty, but I'm not in love with the lurker style, brackish scares me a bit, and I'm not sure there are any other smaller freshwater puffers that are available in the hobby .  I recently bought a 10G from a neighbor who was moving and its fully planted and full of RCS and snails and in my garage, so I'm hoping I have a semi reliable live food source for pea puffers. Pulling for Thursday to get here sooner rather than later for you!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I chose the lurkers because they dont really require the hard foods for the beak growth issues that others can have. I would have got a Congo, if I would have found one of the red ones.

Betty

Staff member
I know you've been talking about wanting a puffer for a long time now. Congrats!

I wish it would eat Malaysian trumpet snails. Biggest mistake I ever made, introducing those into one of my tanks!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
I know you've been talking about wanting a puffer for a long time now.  Congrats!

I wish it would eat Malaysian trumpet snails.  Biggest mistake I ever made, introducing those into one of my tanks!!
I was looking at old posts and I have been talking about this since Sept of 2011.... Wow talk about lots of research time! It was funny because Hank the puffer was mentioned and at the time he was only 6".

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So the week is dragging on as I wait for Thursday and the new puffer to arrive.

In the meantime I found this and thought it was funny: Its Hairy Puffer vs Cat
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/OTScfH_bgE8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
 Just one more day!  :cheers: 

Cant wait for 'Hairy' Thursday

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So here is a picture of what a hairy puffer looks like...

:laughhard:  Not really, but pretty close.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I got my UPS tracking info and the notice that it shipped. I paid an extra $5 to get it for a am delivery (by 10:30). Cant wait to see the little guy!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Its here...

Was not expecting this.... a cup with the puffer inside of it in the bag.  :scratch: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Maybe so he can't bite the bag potentially causing it to leak since they have teeth?
That would make sense.

When I was opening up the little container to let him out, I was thinking about the movie line from Clash of the Titans... "Release the Kraken!" He does look like a little sea monster. I think he will be a fun little fish. He was barely in the tank and was attacking his reflection soon after being released.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Maybe so he can't bite the bag potentially causing it to leak since they have teeth?
That would make sense.

When I was opening up the little container to let him out, I was thinking about the movie line from Clash of the Titans... "Release the Kraken!" He does look like a little sea monster. I think he will be a fun little fish. He was barely in the tank and was attacking his reflection soon after being released.
Haha nice! You'll have to post some more pictures of him in his tank. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
You'll have to post some more pictures of him in his tank. :)
Will do, soon. I had left work for a little bit just to get him acclimated and in the tank. Was only able to stay a few minutes and watch him.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Awe, that sucks. Make you nervous when you come home? I know it did for me. So far all of mine are still going well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im not super worried since its in a tank all by itself. More worried at the war that went on in the cichlid tank when the red isletas was put back in. Everything was calm this morning but lots of battle wounds. Why cant cichlids just get along?

dwarfpike

DMD123 said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
That would make sense.

Easiest naming for a pet ever ...

DMD123 said:
Why cant cichlids just get along?
Too much awesome to be contained in one tank, naturally.