Got the ball rolling... new fish in the works

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
The three hairy puffers should not be housed together. That is something bad waiting to happen.
I've even heard GSP can be hard to house together. I wish I could have a couple but I'm going to upgrade his tank and try a couple knight goby's since they are bigger than my puffer is.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Want pictures! May have to just start a whole show your puffer post.

cichlid-gal

Geez...I think those worms were still moving in their stomachs...yikes...and LOL. And the 1st video with the crawfish...now that one had me singing Mahna Mahna...yep!

Congrats!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
cichlid-gal said:
Geez...I think those worms were still moving in their stomachs...yikes...and LOL.  And the 1st video with the crawfish...now that one had me singing Mahna Mahna...yep!

Congrats!
Thanks, they are vicious little monsters!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I have some pictures posted on here of him. :)

Sooooooooooooo Cute.

Cant remember, were you going brackish with him or full salt?

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:

My son had a Tetraodon Palembangensis for a while. Beautiful dark red/burgundy color with red eyes. It drove me nuts though because it would NEVER move, or though it seemed. This picture above reminds me of that Dragon Puffer. Whenever I would come into the room it would just sit there and stair at me, always in the exact same spot.

Anyway, neatO DMD123!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The type I got is a lurker. It sits and waits for prey. They are such lumps you are not supposed to feed them every day.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I have some pictures posted on here of him. :)

Sooooooooooooo Cute.

Cant remember, were you going brackish with him or full salt?
Brackish, I've read they are better at brackish levels. When my mom comes over she always goes and looks at him and says how cute he is. But I can't convince her to have one.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:

My son had a Tetraodon Palembangensis for a while. Beautiful dark red/burgundy color with red eyes. It drove me nuts though because it would NEVER move, or though it seemed. This picture above reminds me of that Dragon Puffer. Whenever I would come into the room it would just sit there and stair at me, always in the exact same spot.

Anyway, neatO DMD123!
I've noticed mine sleeps during the day and is awake at night. In the AM when I turn on the lights he's glidnig around and at lunch time he's laying on the bottom and at 5:30 he's still there but when I go to feed about 7pm he's active again and until 10ish when I turn off the lights he's still active.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
When my mom comes over she always goes and looks at him and says how cute he is. But I can't convince her to have one.
I think she needs a hairy puffer. Looks like a potato with fuzz growing on it.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
She wouldn't like having to feed it feeders or cray and such. She hates seeing parent angels eat their fry. I came home from work one day to find her elbow deep in my 20 gallon breeder tank with a turkey baster sucking up newly swimming fry to save them because the parents had started eating them lol

Anthraxx

hey D i know this is a long shot, but you could go pick yourself up a crayfish trap (they sell them at Sportco in Fife) then just drop it in your nearest river and nab up any crayfish you can. my buddy has done it in some rivers and its not illegal to harvest them, just to keep them alive. however the exception to the rule would be finding a WA native species, theres only one or two i think. might be hard but you can keep those alive np. also if your interested id be happy to catch you all the snails i can out of my 10g tank. i literally just killed 100 or so before reading this post. GL with whatever you choose, maybe breed cherry shrimp also?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Anthraxx, what type of snails is it you have i your 10 gallon? I might be interested in some. I can't keep up with my puffers demand and they are $0.25 a piece at my "L" FS.

MorganEA

I was looking at the hairy puffers at The Wet Spot, they were really cool looking! good luck with your new wet pet.

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I've noticed mine sleeps during the day and is awake at night. In the AM when I turn on the lights he's glidnig around and at lunch time he's laying on the bottom and at 5:30 he's still there but when I go to feed about 7pm he's active again and until 10ish when I turn off the lights he's still active.
You know you may be onto something here. The fish could have been asleep! Oh, that's funny. Fish don't have eyelids, I was playing the staring game with a fish that was asleep ...  :suspect: - Who feEls like a fool now, HA!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthraxx said:
hey D i know this is a long shot, but you could go pick yourself up a crayfish trap (they sell them at Sportco in Fife) then just drop it in your nearest river and nab up any crayfish you can. my buddy has done it in some rivers and its not illegal to harvest them, just to keep them alive. however the exception to the rule would be finding a WA native species, theres only one or two i think. might be hard but you can keep those alive np. also if your interested id be happy to catch you all the snails i can out of my 10g tank. i literally just killed 100 or so before reading this post. GL with whatever you choose, maybe breed cherry shrimp also?
I thought about just catching my own. Just have to find a little spot. Not like thats all it will eat. The problem with the type I have coming is that its typically not a snail eater. The good news is that as a piscivore it tends to not have the beak growth issue like some others.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
You know you may be onto something here. The fish could have been asleep! Oh, that's funny. Fish don't have eyelids, I was playing the staring game with a fish that was asleep ...  :suspect: - Who feEls like a fool now, HA!
Haha! Good thing I'm along at work because I chuckled over that one. haha :)

Anthraxx

i know you can also order southern style crawfish online. im sure shipping isnt the greatest but a viable option vs the freeze dried stuff. were close enough to alaska that it could also be an option. im sure this is all LFS type stuff tho. anyways GL with whatever you choose.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Shrimp in the shell are another option, along with clams on the half shell.