Got the ball rolling... new fish in the works

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive been talking about getting this fish for about two years now and now that I have a tank to do it.... I just emailed The Wet Spot to see if they still have it in stock and available for shipment next week.

Any guess what Im looking to get?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This kind of goes along with a subject you posted ShortyKiloGyrl about large FW 'lobster'.

Since live crayfish are illegal in our state, I wonder if I could breed some of the legal FW 'lobster' as a food item? I might also breed some live-bearers too.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
They are listed as 'lobsters' on many sale sites. I don't see why they would fall under the crayfish category. ;) Too bad you're in Tacoma or I'd say we could go in on a deal.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it would be just as easy to buy frozen crayfish and then use tongs to entice the puffer.

The blue lobster are pretty cool along with the neon red. Dont seem to hard to breed....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
These guys are pretty aggressive feeders, this poor crayfish never had a chance
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/xt4pAXYNWpE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Wholey crap! I thought my puffer was bad. Now that I got a new phone i'll have to video him eating krill. I feed him every day from my fingers :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Wholey crap! I thought my puffer was bad. Now that I got a new phone i'll have to video him eating krill. I feed him every day from my fingers :)
On The Puffer Forum one of the members got bit really bad from 'hand feeding' her puffer. ( A hairy, by the way)
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33934

Im not sure on the frozen crayfish, saw something that they were available at pikes place market. Seems like Ive seen them sold somewhere in a grocery store. The one Im looking at is only like 2.5" - 3" so I could probably just do frozen krill for a little while.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They look slow but they are quick little things, another video
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/spXx6OpNFv4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Luckily mine is a (dwarf) GSP, It's been 2 years with me and hasn't grown any, if it has it's not noticeable. It's more of a pinch with red marks than taking anything out. Probably because he's in defensive mode as opposed to eating mode. But I've learned. I have acrylic nails and pinch the krill with my nails and feed him that route. I feel bad he has to chase it all around the tank in the current.

One thing I love about puffers is they remind me of submarines :D Just zooming around the water and quite and docile and then like a torpedo WHAM it hits something with force that doesn't seem possible.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
OK, its done. I just sent in my PayPal payment and the fish is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.  :cheers: 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
OK, its done. I just sent in my PayPal payment and the fish is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.  :cheers: 

:bounce: :cheers: yahooooooo!!! Which one did you get???  :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: 

Thursday is going to seem like

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I asked for the 'hairiest' one they had... LOL

Sorry if it was a bit confusing, I listed scientific name and common name.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The 'hair' is like little skin tags. No real proof but it is believed that the amount of hair determines sex. Yep the male is supposed to be hairier!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
The 'hair' is like little skin tags. No real proof but it is believed that the amount of hair determines sex. Yep the male is supposed to be hairier!
If I could house one with my GSP I'd get one :) I did notice that last video all the puffers have munched tails :/

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The three hairy puffers should not be housed together. That is something bad waiting to happen.