Goodbye bowfront/Chunk's sick

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Very frustrating and odd! I'm just grasping at straws, but I thought if food and dogs and cat and such can have food allergies maybe fish can too? maybe the equivalent to hives? I have no idea lol! Like I said, grasping!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
After 3 months of this I too am grasping.... :wall:

flamechica

Not that my opinion is worth much, since I don't have much experience with sick fish, but if it were my fish, I think I would've continued with the last combo of meds that seemed to work the best longer than stated on the boxes...the erthromycin/doxy and MB baths, I believe it was? When I had to treat my corydora tank with Erthromycin for mouth fungus, I realize not the same thing, but I had to do 2 full treatments to get all the fish healthy in that tank. Not sure if that is common with that med or not. It just seems like that med combo provided the best results for you, so maybe if it had been continued longer, maybe things would've cleared up? Just throwing things out there.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
All meds were done longer than minimum with most being used in at least two back to back treatments. Never saw a complete eradication of it but some meds seemed to lessen the look of it. In the three months of dealing with this very few combos had any real noticeable effect. Triple Sulfa reduced it BUT Triple Sulfa only inhibits the bacteria (if that is what it is) and does not eradicate it. Even the antibiotics that were used did not really clean it all up, there was always some lingering. There is no doubt I am into meds at a level of over $300 at this point. This is saying I have bought them all online and treated by reducing the water level so as to get the most out of these meds. Basically Im at the real stopping point when it comes to my wallet. I will try what I still have left but no more new medicine purchases. Its pretty much clean water, dips, or force feeding of stuff I have now.

anthony

You did what you could bro ! Fish are just like ex-girlfriends the best way to get your mind off an old one is to get a new one!!!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
If the outcome isn't great, I'd like to offer you my two cute little oscars from my classroom. They are best pals and would continues to give you Oscar interaction until you decided to get another chunk.....

I just hate to hear about this. And my offer still stands to continue to treat chunk with the meds I have ( you've already tried them) but at least it won't come out of your pocket

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
If I give up, I will pass him along your way Lloyd. I might go a different route with the tank so not sure if another Oscar....

Many plans in the works with a potential move, remodel, new tank etc.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Maybe check the ingredients and find something a little different that what you already have or get ahold of Madness and see about SD or something? That way if it's a filler ingredient he's allergic to you can figure it out. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Maybe check the ingredients and find something a little different that what you already have or get ahold of Madness and see about SD or something? That way if it's a filler ingredient he's allergic to you can figure it out. :)

I have other food brands I can try on him. Might try an earthworm or bloodworms on him too. I have not given him a treat in a while.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
If you are going a different direction I also just adopted a ghost knife, bala shark and sailfin Pleco from a students dad

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well my different direction may be moving all the fish in my 210g to a new bigger home in possibly 6-8 months and then giving my puffer the 75g and keeping my 40B as a hospital tank. No new fish until then, unless it is something I could possible fit into my large community set up....

Ali

Excuse me if this is ignorant, I'm not experienced at all and haven't read the whole thread. But if the fish hasn't shown signs of distress and the tankmates haven't caught it why not just call it a mystery and let Chunk live as the pimply fish he is? Obviously if there's suffering it's a different story.

Just a thought, it's obvious you love this fish and if you can have some more time together that would be great.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I might just at this point admit defeat and see if the pimples go away on their own.

Ali

I'm a bit wacked out on flu meds right now and this is a really really really crazy idea, but what if they are pimples? Or a fishy equivalent.

They wouldn't be contagious, cause much distress (don't think Chunk will be concerned at a breakout before junior prom), and won't react to antibacterial meds. Not saying you should dump a bottle of Proactiv into the tank but there might be something easy and readily available that shows progress.

I'm a meddling type, so i might try a teeny bit of diluted witch hazel on a qtip on a single blotch. It will be hard on the slime coat but with a good water conditioner and over a teeny area shouldn't be too destructive. You could even follow up with diluted aloe.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have done Hydrogen Peroxide baths too, which seems like it would have helped.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So as bad as she looks, she is super feisty.
[youtube]EqO1qS96CXk[/youtube]

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
He's huge! I got an Oscar at the same time that was 5-6" he's now 9" and yours looks to be pushing 11-12" wow

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Other than the lip Chunk doesn't look that bad?
Thanks, the lip was from rubbing in the bucket/bath.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
He's huge! I got an Oscar at the same time that was 5-6" he's now 9" and yours looks to be pushing 11-12" wow
She is a little over 11" and has started to slow down in growth.