Goodbye bowfront/Chunk's sick

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
From my understanding pimafix and melafix are pretty much just water anyways. Garbage for a "med".

Have you had salt in your tank for all of these treatments?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Salt was used in a few treatments but no effect. Stopped using per suggestion of a fish expert.

I have talked with madness who talked with his fish guy and took recommendations as to treatments and followed through. I have also sought advice on other forums and been actively searching online for answers. I can not identify what this is and no one else really has either. It has not responded to parasite, fungus, antibacterial and antibiotic treatments. :wall:

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Gah, so frustrating! Salt is pretty mean stuff to fish once you understand all the aspects behind it. (Madness' fish guy is awesome. He is who helped me with my copper/lead issues) He taught he about salt as well which I was asking, and the two of them actually kept me in the hobby. :) Are you on Aquatic Support Community? A wide variety of people on there from all over the world. Maybe someone has an idea??

Betty

Staff member
This really is weird. All of those types of medications having no effect and the fact that the fish seems to be fine and no other fish in the tank have contracted the condition. It must not be contagious... or could the meds be keeping it from getting worse or affecting the other fish? Could it be that she has bad "skin"; something like acne or psoriasis, etc. in people? :scratch:

Betty

Staff member
It started before the tank change and she was being treated before the move as well.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
DMD123 said:
Salt was used in a few treatments but no effect. Stopped using per suggestion of a fish expert.

I have talked with madness who talked with his fish guy and took recommendations as to treatments and followed through. I have also sought advice on other forums and been actively searching online for answers. I can not identify what this is and no one else really has either. It has not responded to parasite, fungus, antibacterial and antibiotic treatments. :wall:

I would contact Steev Ward. Steevward@yahoo.com. He works at B&D aquarium in Seattle off and on. He is a disease guru and could probably take a scale scraping and put it under a scope. He has diagnosed lots of unsolveable diseases.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I am at the point where I have spent as much as I can on the fish and I will purchase no more meds when Im out except to replenish the normal stuff I keep in the fish medicine cabinet. Dont worry, I still have a lot of stuff to try... then who knows?

Thanks for the contact Cory, I may contact him for ideas.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I sent Steev an email and we will see what he says, thanks again for the contact Cory.

Today I tried a Methylene blue bath for 1/2 an hour before my water change and redose of meds. Will check on Chunk when I get home but not expecting much.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm at a loss. If need be you can borrow my 35 gallon for him/her so you don't have to treat as much water.....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the offer Lloyd, but Ive been reducing the water level during the treatment to make the meds go further. I dont want to jinx it bit it seemed the Methylene blue bath and this med combo seem to have reduced things a bit....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This morning began with a methylene blue + salt bath and then back to a medicated tank with erythromycin + minocycline + coppersafe. Not sure what is working, but something is, with the spots being visibly reduced. This has been the best that I have seen it so far!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
how much salt, just wondering? I'd be using 1 tablespoon per gallon if I was treating this fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Aquarium Co-Op said:
how much salt, just wondering? I'd be using 1 tablespoon per gallon if I was treating this fish.
For the bath I went with a suggestion on another site that did 1 teaspoon salt per gallon and 1 teaspoon MB per 5 gallon. I do about a 2.5g bath. So far this combo of meds and bath are working so I am going to continue with it.

I am in contact with Steev also and have sent pics and a list if meds. But if this continues on the way it now is, I may be done with meds very soon! Progress at last! :cheers:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
Still making progress?

It is considerably reduced! it is almost to the point where it looks like it first started three months ago. The little spots look like fuzzy dots as opposed to the angry pimples it looked like before. I am almost out of my meds with two more days of treatment left which will be eight days. I think I will continue with the MB baths for a couple days after that.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Still bothers me that there is still some spots and tomorrow is the last day of meds. I will continue with the MB baths but not sure if I should continue to medicate, with something else. Tomorrow I am out of the erythromycine/minocycline and it will have been eight days with that, and still showing a few spots. Usually ten days is the max for most meds anyway, so do I finish with doxy, even though last time it did not do anything? I guess I will deal with all that on Thursday when the current treatment is done.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I would probably continue with the doxy if you still have enough to treat for the 10 days. It may keep the process going now that it's minimized some.