Goodbye bowfront/Chunk's sick

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive had my 72g bowfront for a while now and have used it as a growout and it currently is housing my Oscar named Chunk. Chunk is about 11" now and I see the issues already with a big bodied fish in a tank that tapers down to 13" on the side and the wide point is 18". He already seems like he has issues turning when in the edge areas of the tank. So Im saying good bye to my bowfront....
j9ucms.jpg

20jk7lg.jpg

So what will Chunk get? I decide on a standard 75g. While it does not offer a lot in the way of water volume compared to my 72g bowfront, it does offer my fish an 18" tank throughout. I will be picking that tank up this evening. Just seeing my Oscar in the bowfront lately makes me realize how some say a standard 55g is minimum for a single Oscar is totally wrong. These big fish really do need a minimum 48x18 footprint with at least 75g of water. If I get really motivated I might do the move this weekend and post pics... if not soon.

Betty

Staff member
Re: Goodbye bowfront...

I think you should keep it and put some other fish in there! You do such a nice job with your tanks, I'm sure you'll find a spot where it will fit right in. :D

That oscar is nice-looking. Good that you are getting him more space.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks, Betty

Keeping it would involve convincing the wife.... Betty would you talk with her? lol

If I could find a bit bigger tank without spending too much I would do that, but what I really want is a 100g with a 48x24 foorprint. Most of the ones I see available are 120g or 150g with that footprint. This tank is in an upstairs office and I dont want to push it.

I forgot how much fun Oscars were. Yeah they are pretty common but a good wet pet. Well mine is not too common since its a Rapp's Bumblebee.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

discus_2013 said:
You already have a 75?
Just bought one from Petsmart online. Will pick up tonight. $350 for a Marineland with black silicone, glass tops, LED light and stand. I already have the filters and heater from my 72g bow. My friend want to buy the bowfront off me, so pretty much a break even situation. I really like the look of the bow but not a good tank for the types of fish I raise.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Picked up the tank tonight and very impressed with the build. The black silicone looks great! The stand is very light but seems well built. I know my little Chunk will be happier in this.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

So I decided to do a picture background. It is from Petsmart and I had to cut like 6"+ off the picture to fit. It really is a bit different because it is a cling that installs like window film. It really does look good. Well here is an update
x0nygz.jpg

Chunk is currently being medicated for a bacterial infection and is doing well but I dont want to move him till the treatment is over. So another week to go....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Thank you. Chunk is getting better. My wife wanted something that was not a black background so her choice

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

I just moved my 9" Oscar from my 60 to my 75.... He already much happier with the two extra inches in width

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I really felt bad for mine when it went into the corner and it almost contorted to turn around. I know she will be much happier in this tank. I even have a new FX6 for her too! Overkill? FX6 on a 75g.... :lmfao:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Chunk is doing well with the triple sulfa treatment. Into it now 4 days but I will do the full treatment which goes for 10 days.

So with the new background I really want to do a darker substrate. I currently use the 'Lapis Lustre' sand which is a nice priced product but a bit lighter colored than what I want. Been talking with Llyod about a Nat. Geo. gravel he got a while back. I might go with it because its a bit darker and small grained.
This stuff:
nd55bo.jpg

Betty

Staff member

Looking like it's going to be a nice new home. I'm glad she's responding to the treatment.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

That may geo has two versions of the natural colored ( Carmel ) rocks. I went with two bags of the darker and a small bag of the lighter..... Just as an FYI

I really like it. its my favorite gravel..... I also think the lapis luster is the best sand, and the large( bigger than gravel) natural/ agate colored rocks are perfect for my amphs. I can take close ups of the bat geo or the large gravel for anyone wanting to see it

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I have CaribSea Peace River in my 210g and I like it the best for grain size at 1-2mm. From what Ive seen the nat geo is slightly bigger but not huge. The Lapis Lustre is a great economy sand for sure.

Madness

Staff member

here is the entire shot of D's tank, this is going to look awesome D

Attachments

• x0nygz.jpg
    x0nygz.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 112

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks Madness, I used a different software and it made the pic huge.

When I go to set it up I am just going to move the AC110 and Eheim 2217 over and wait till after my vacation to set up the FX6.