Fishy Arts and Crafts!

I saw this post on the Aquarium Co-Op facebook page, and thought I'd give it a try.
It...turned out somewhat better than I had initially expected. Still has room for improvement, but I'd say it was pretty good for my first try. I definitely need sharper scissors though. That would've made things a whole lot easier! :D

Anyone else have any artsy fartsy stuffs they'd like to share?

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
It...turned out somewhat better than I had initially expected. Still has room for improvement, but I'd say it was pretty good for my first try.
 :plus1: Turned out super neat for a 1st try! NeatO!!

MRTom

Very cool results!

I keep this drawing from Ian Fuller in the office. I also have some of his cory pins at home.
wp_00110.jpg

Not much else in the way of home made DIY fish stuff yet, but that shrimp is inspiring me :)

Wow that's a neat drawing! It almost looks like a real picture from afar!

Here's my 2nd and 3rd attempt at making the straw shrimp. I think I might add googly eyes on em!

cichlid-gal

I think the store should do a Christmas tree decorated with shrimps and other small freshwater aquatic items...maybe spawning mops...hmmm...ideas ideas

Kept going crazy with the shrimp straw things, so I went ahead and did a framed aquatic scene. Found one of these Shadow Boxes at goodwill for like $6.99 so I figured, why not? It was a PAIIIIIIIIN to make though (not the shrimp making...that part is easy now. lol)

I'm still not happy with the substrate. I need to figure out a way how to make it look more believable... I used that floral foam stuff and added glue over it, and just sprinkled substrate over it, and that turned out to be a huge MESS.

I tried making everything else out of straw (manzanita wood, etc etc...) that looked UGLY AND GHETTO, so I ended up just using real manzanita wood.

Eventually, I would like to add some really dim lights in the frame, so that it can be seen at night as well (just like an aquarium!) . . . I'll have to talk to Cory about that.

Anywho...here it is:

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, How could I make that better? Um, NO! Your always your own worst critic. I think it loOks great! It's your 1st one, I am sure you'll figure out a way to make the substrate seamless. I covered a home made tunnel once using silicone ,(4" PVC cut in half).  It was super messy! The way I did it though was a thin layer of silicone all over , a box with a bunch of substrate and rolled the object around, handfuls of substrate and squished it into the object I was covering. Then I would check out the decor I was making, if any silicone was showing I would pour some more substrate over it and pat it into the silicone. Worked great!
You may even be able to get those 2 pieces to look seamless using silicone?

A

Anonymous

Buy the way. Loved the Blue Straw Shrimpy @ the Co-Op! Was super cool chilling in the tank, ha!