BNP

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks, I needed to share the vicious feeding frenzy so others would be warry :rofl
When I think of “typical” feeding videos, its some poor unsuspecting creature about to get ate by something in a horrible way. This one was also disturbing... lol :p

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have a male and female in the 220g. The male has dug under the left side of the rock. I noticed the green sev trying to get under the rock where I could see the male. I grabbed a flashlight and the male is guarding fry. The egg sack is all gone so these are over a week old.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
@lloyd378 gave me some food from Ken's a few months ago. One is the 5mm krill pellet. For most of the fish I crush them and then sprinkle the bits in the tank. My main male getting a break from the love cave and feeding on a krill pellet.
PXL_20210128_195355580.MP.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Genetic mutations or other defects are always bound to show up. This is quasimodo. He should have been euthanized when he was smaller but I didn't catch his defect until he was larger. Now I am attached to him and so he will be kept separate from the other population. He is currently in my Neolamprologus multifasciatus shell dweller tank. He is approximately 2.5in.
PXL_20210223_011224822~2.jpg PXL_20210223_011214436.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My 220g aquarium has ich. I have dosed with cupramin and noticed that my BNP pair are hanging out at the surface. Should I try to remove them to another tank for treatment?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
My 220g aquarium has ich. I have dosed with cupramin and noticed that my BNP pair are hanging out at the surface. Should I try to remove them to another tank for treatment?
I would. I don't know how temperature-tolerant plecos are, but if they'll take it, I'd crank the temperature up in the quarantine tank to accelerate the parasites' life cycle during treatment. Good luck.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I would. I don't know how temperature-tolerant plecos are, but if they'll take it, I'd crank the temperature up in the quarantine tank to accelerate the parasites' life cycle during treatment. Good luck.
They should be able to tolerate 84-85 degrees. I will have to read up on the SDs and other inmates to see if they can tolerate the higher temps. Tank should already be around 80. My other concern is it will soak for 2 weeks meaning 3 weeks between water changes. Gonna be some lite feeding.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My other concern is it will soak for 2 weeks meaning 3 weeks between water changes. Gonna be some lite feeding.

Are you not doing water changes during treatment period? My understanding was that it was good to gravel vac to help remove the Ich in the part of the life cycle where the cyst releases new protoza into the tank. This is to help fish not to get reinfected.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Are you not doing water changes during treatment period? My understanding was that it was good to gravel vac to help remove the Ich in the part of the life cycle where the cyst releases new protoza into the tank. This is to help fish not to get reinfected.

True enough.
They should be able to tolerate 84-85 degrees. I will have to read up on the SDs and other inmates to see if they can tolerate the higher temps. Tank should already be around 80. My other concern is it will soak for 2 weeks meaning 3 weeks between water changes. Gonna be some lite feeding.

Raising the temp really helps, because the parasites are only susceptible to medication during particular phases of their life cycle. You're probably familiar with this site already, which discusses this issue, as well as the importance of raising the temperature-

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006#:~:text=Water temperature has a tremendous,to 5 treatments is required.

SD's are fine in the high 80's; I don't know about your other fishes. Good luck.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Not during cupramin treatment. Because copper based meds have a toxic level. I would need a very accurate test to be able to ensure I do not overdose the tank.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
True enough.

Raising the temp really helps, because the parasites are only susceptible to medication during particular phases of their life cycle. You're probably familiar with this site already, which discusses this issue, as well as the importance of raising the temperature-

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006#:~:text=Water temperature has a tremendous,to 5 treatments is required.

SD's are fine in the high 80's; I don't know about your other fishes. Good luck.
New to me. Thanks I will give the article a read

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not during cupramin treatment. Because copper based meds have a toxic level. I would need a very accurate test to be able to ensure I do not overdose the tank.
I guess it depends on medication being used. Some like Ich-X, I believe, say to change the water, does not say gravel vac but that is a practice Ive always done with sick fish. I cant remember where I read it but it is something I do. I had never used cupramin to treat before so not familiar with it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on medication being used. Some like Ich-X, I believe, say to change the water, does not say gravel vac but that is a practice Ive always done with sick fish. I cant remember where I read it but it is something I do. I had never used cupramin to treat before so not familiar with it.
Cupramin is a med I keep on hand.... directions suggest doing two doses and then letting it stay at that level for something like 10 days. It works great, but you have to half dose it for freshwater fish ( according to Dom at AP and Conway who was my go to fish expert when he kept fish). Conways videos are still on YouTube and more extensive than anyway actually needs, but they are gray info resources to file away for later

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My buddy shawn H from Oklahoma City ( whom I got my rtm from) has a 125g in his front room with just various smaller species plecos...
He has this BN that he says was ordered as a starry night BN Pleco, and I absolutely love the color! Here is a pic he posted two days ago of his male. Have you ever kept any under this nickname?

99A628E2-0847-41FA-AC8C-A3B40CE8631C.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My buddy shawn H from Oklahoma City ( whom I got my rtm from) has a 125g in his front room with just various smaller species plecos...
He has this BN that he says was ordered as a starry night BN Pleco, and I absolutely love the color! Here is a pic he posted two days ago of his male. Have you ever kept any under this nickname?

View attachment 7974
I have not. That is a nice looking bn.
I had purchased 8 long fin green dragons but I lost all of them unfortunately.

clownie

I played around with this pleco about 5 years ago. The biggest mine got were 4.5-5 inches. Not a fincky eater at all. They do have a lovely pattern! I was attempting to breed them with no success so I moved on from them.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I played around with this pleco about 5 years ago. The biggest mine got were 4.5-5 inches. Not a fincky eater at all. They do have a lovely pattern! I was attempting to breed them with no success so I moved on from them.
A 55g wasn't big enough. I think the aggression is what caused the loss of all.
Were you able to rehome the leopard frog plec's?