BNP

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
These are my male BNP in the 55g and 90g. He is getting the whiskers on the pectoral fins as well. I love the different colors that both my males exhibit. When I moved the other into the 90g, I noticed glints of gold along the edges of his fins.
I need to find some confirmed females now to start spawning.
55D46EF8-7A06-4BDC-AC36-EA3F23649005.jpeg
4B16C39A-FFB7-4CCB-A863-5E9464C66FFA.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Very cool! Love the whiskers on the little guy!

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I need to combine threads. I counted 39 baby BNP in the grow tank and the eggs in the cave hatched and there are little wigglers now.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Wow, adding the coconut shells turned the BN fry tank to a black water environment.

Really, as in water discoloration? I used coconut shells in many of my soft water tanks years ago, and I never saw anything like that, so I wonder what's going on here. :sick

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Wow. Here's what the water from the Rio Orinoco looks like where P. altum are collected-

Altum_08.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Ah, that's what I thought. From the results of this cross, it appears that both of the parents are heterozygotes ('carriers') for the recessive albino trait, and their progeny display perfect Mendelian inheritance, with 75% of them being pigmented, and 25% albino. Nice when things work out! :)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Ah, that's what I thought. From the results of this cross, it appears that both of the parents are heterozygotes ('carriers') for the recessive albino trait, and their progeny display perfect Mendelian inheritance, with 75% of them being pigmented, and 25% albino. Nice when things work out! :)

Well, let the record show that 25% ish were albino. :D Thank you, now I know approximately what I can expect from each batch.
There is a fellow out your way with featherfin green dragon BN that I am negotiating to add to my collection.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Snagged a couple pictures of one of the new clown plecos. The water has some tannins from the alder cones. They came in with ich so am treating with Paraguard.
DD11F5EB-2976-48C2-BEBF-7AC73FDBF928.jpeg 4370CC59-714F-4C2C-AD32-B93C50378B04.jpeg