Bichir tankmates/72g bowfront ideas

dwarfpike

DMD123 said:
Maybe what I need to consider is just a good old community tank with no cichlids.  :laughhard:  Cant believe I could even type that out.
Traitor!!!  :swear: 

dwarfpike

Madness said:
Unfortunately when it come to Cichlids, thats a very difficult task at times.  :wall: :wall: 
It's a challenge with even the more mild ones ... how you huge cichlid guys do it is an art, really.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Madness said:
DMD123 said:
I was hoping for a cichlid that would be part of a small community tank and still outgoing without being a bully.
Unfortunately when it come to Cichlids, thats a very difficult task at times.  :wall: :wall: 
How true. Even my 'peaceful' Pearsei has its moments with its tankmates and will chase the regani a little. At least the regani is not as stressed now that the isletas is out of the tank and will eat food.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfpike said:
DMD123 said:
Maybe what I need to consider is just a good old community tank with no cichlids.  :laughhard:  Cant believe I could even type that out.
Traitor!!!  :swear: 
It was a joke!  :joker: 

I really do want to keep a cichlid in there, they just wont cooperate with me.

dwarfpike

Maybe step down to a medium sized cichlid instead of one of the big boys? Or even down two steps down to say a pair of dwarves it mix in with the more community fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The funny thing is I could totally see a African cichlid tank happening in there or some dwarf type pike.

dwarfpike

Some of the dwarf pikes would have the personality you are looking for no doubt.  :spoton: 

I had some of the Colombian Cr. wallacii (note the correct spelling WetSpot!!!) and the male would glass bang despite being only 2.5". Really cool to watch. I can only have smaller tanks atm, so they provide all the attitude of the big ones but in more managable sizes. Just keep in mind the size of the other fish, they will kill fish too big to swallow ... I've had several dwarf pikes munch down on the heads of tetras that were clearly way too big to eat whole. It was like watching someone suck the heads of shrimp or crayfish down South.

*looks at my handle* I could be biased though.  :whistle:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I guess what Im looking for most is personality. Not necessarily a glass banger but a fish that comes out and interacts. This is a bit tough since this is not a high traffic area like my living room tank. The puffer has been a pretty ideal choice in the office because he is an ambush predator and will just sit most of the time. He will interact and beg for food when he sees me. I am just looking for something in this 72g bow that will do the same....

A

Anonymous

I don't know if something like this would work for you, but one of the neatest 'community' combos I able to put together was a Delhezi Poly, JD, a school of 5 clown loaches , and a school of adult Congo Tetra. I also had a marbled sailfin pleco, and for a time raised a speckled bull headed catfish in the same group. It was a lively bunch.the Poly was chill. The JD brought the cichlid personality. When he matured - called a hollow log his home but still came out when I came near. The clown loaches frolicked pretty much the whole time. And the school of Congos was a constant splash of color swimming to and fro. I have to say though it took a long time , patients, and introducing each pet at the right time. This to greaten the chance for the survival of the Congo's, and to establish a preexisting community for the small JD. The JD did well with all except the Bullhead cat. They would fight over territory (hollow log). And the Poly left the Congos alone because they where already 3.5" and too crafty for his lazy butt to catch.

cichlid-gal

I have my rainbowfish housed with Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae and tetras and kribs and my lone L. robertsi in my 125G tank.  You could probably add either the kribs or the victoriae to the 72G with the rainbowfish and have a nice mix.  Neither the victoriae or the kribs are big plant eaters so your plants would still do well.  I would not recommend both of those in the smaller footprint.  Just a thought.  If you try to add mbuna cichlids your plants will suffer and become dinner.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I need some African cichlid advice....

A long time favorite is the Blue Dolphin (cyrtocara moori), Could it be kept solo with no group and then other smaller Africans with it?

I would consider also a syno cat or two in there also.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My experience with african cichlids is mixed. Love the colors but hate the fin nipping. Not sure about a lone blue dolphin with others. I've only ever seen them kept in schools with a high female to male population

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Why not an ebjd? I picked up one of Shawn's for my sons tank. It always greats both of us, and has been super friendly with his rainbows and two angel fish ...... Plus it's absolutely beautiful

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had a regular jd for a while but I thought it was pretty shy. I do love the color on the ebjd but I also like the super red sevrums too. I could see a super red sev and some roselines...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Regular jd aren't worth the food people feed them ... Haha. J/k. But I agree that they lack on personality by hiding a lot and then so many of th develop that almost spawning salmon humped back when they reach maturity.

I like your idea of a super red severum. Tons of color ( not sure on the personality though)

Africans are fun to watch like you mentioned in your other thread... I'm not really a fan of any of the fish under the mbuna name.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
yeah I hate the Quasimodo thing that happens with a lot of them. The Severum are alright for personality, I had a nice gold for a while. As to the Africans, Im still indecisive but there are a few I like. I am just looking for something different. Even the part of me that screams 'no hybrids!' would maybe consider a solo flowerhorn or a trimac looking flowerhorn. For that matter a real trimac, but they are pretty difficult to find right now.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I giving away to female flowerhorn in the next week to a lfs.... If you want one....

Madness

Staff member
How about one of these:

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
One reason why....

That thing is awesome and I already know i cant afford it!  :laughhard: