Bichir tankmates/72g bowfront ideas

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
A planted tank would not be out of the question. But really want a 'wet pet' with some personality. Would love to try a puffer but none of the smaller species excite me. I want a Fahaka but this would not work with the 72g for life. I would need at least a 24" x 48" footprint and 120g. Not that I dont 'want' another tank but I have to answer to a 'higher power'..... my wife!  :D 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Started in on a change, decided to sell the 'gold dust'. That leaves me with three bichirs to still figure out what I want to do with. The del and albino sen are both very active and good eaters so they could stay if I could find something to live with then and be a good center of attention type fish. The weeksii is shy compared to them and will need more space so the decision is to sell him or move him to the 210g......

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had a true green terror (stalsbergi) for a while in the 210g. He lived up to his named and was a terror. Got rid of him and dont want to go back down that path.

What is the personality like on a festae? Are they as much a wet pet as a midas or red devil?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Funny thing is I really already have a 'wet pet' in Pork Chop but thats down in the 210g. I just need something with some personality in the bowfront.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
No, no where near the personality. I have a beautiful Midas just calling your name! Tons of personality. Always out and about greeting you and also looking for a date. My female midevil is super peaceful and also personable.... Not as much as the Midas, but would be completely cool with the bichirs

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite is the red isletas female I have, but she's not going anywhere anytime soon. Though I'd like to get her back into a larger tank..... She's in the 56 cube right now..... Just got some fish staffing issues I need to shore up to find her a great place! I'd love to have her in my bed room but that would require moving tanks.

I think Nate had some red isletas available of you wanted to go that route

Madness

Staff member
I have loads of Isletas fry, 1-3" or I have a 6" male that looks like it wants to spawn with one of my female Festae.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I would consider that wc midas of yours Llyod but I dont think it would like a bichir tankmate.... or would it?

I remember that Isletas of yours madness, cool little guy. How do you think it would do with bichir?

Madness

Staff member
I think that they are more mellow than RD's and Midas.  Mine hangs out with some Geos and loaches.  I have notice that my Cichlids and Bichirs coexist very well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You also have them in bigger tanks. A 4ft 72g may change things...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My Midas is more aggressive than my red isletas, but if there aren't any female tankmates, he usually chills more

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive decided to get what Ive been missing... an amphilophus. I really have missed the personality that these fish bring to a tank. So I will be removing the gold dust from the 72g and adding a Red Isletas. Not sure how the fish will act with its bichir tankmates but we will see. I do know I wont have to worry about a lack of personality!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I dug this one up from the grave to update and think about a different route to go.

I got the Red Isletas and he is just a strange fish. He is not a good solo wet pet but does good in a larger tank with others he can pick on. He would fixate on one bichir in my bowfront and bite and nip at it all the time. When these same fish were put into my 210g there was no issue. But then he had an issue with a regani and just would not let the fish eat and bullied it. I move the Isletas back into the 72g bowfront and he then went after my L114 pleco and chewed up its top fin and tail. I have decided to rehome him after his aggressiveness.

So my bowfront has been a growout tank for the past few months and a time out tank for the Isletas and I still am not happy with the stock. I am over the bichirs for sure because they are just plain boring but they do add a bit of weird in the 210g. I love my new little hairy puffer and he would love the bowfront to himself but it seems like a waste of tank on a fish that only gets 5" and sits most of the time....

So kind of back to square one here. Still trying to get a stock I am happy with in the bowfront.

Madness

Staff member
APFP has in some rare fish in called Barilius Bakeri, they also have one other kind. A cool active somewhat schooling fish, probably no more than 3-4 in your tank. Add some colorful corys like laser green or laser orange and wallah.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive seen those, they really are cool looking. I have the Australian rainbows in there which are cool but zero personality. I was hoping for a cichlid that would be part of a small community tank and still outgoing without being a bully.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe what I need to consider is just a good old community tank with no cichlids.  :laughhard:  Cant believe I could even type that out.

The problem is... I like having cichlids.

Madness

Staff member
DMD123 said:
I was hoping for a cichlid that would be part of a small community tank and still outgoing without being a bully.
Unfortunately when it come to Cichlids, thats a very difficult task at times.  :wall: :wall: