Bichir tankmates/72g bowfront ideas

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Well Im at a crossroads on what I want to do with my 72g bowfront.

I have been raising bichir in it and you know what? They kind of are boring....  :lmfao: 

Really they are pretty much lumps that sit except my albino sen and del which are both pretty active. I have a feeling I will be selling off my gold dust and weeksii and keeping the other two. Or I might keep just the albino sen in the 72 and move the del to my 210g. Undecided what Im going to do just yet, but looking for something.

So what I need is an active fish with a bit of personality and that can live in a 72g bowfront for life. I dont necessarily want a cichlid but might be the best choice. A single wet pet maybe? Any ideas?

Madness

Staff member
If you want active then you want personality.  And what better personality than a Amphilophus.  Midas, RD, Isletas, Trimac  etc....

If you decide to part with the Butti 'gold dust', let me know.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Check out the ghost rider flowerhorn in aqua craze..... Yes a bit steep at $200
Dollars for 2.5" of fish, but the colors are amazing ( just a little hybrid jab for my non hybrid loving friend).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know an amp is the way to go but I feel the 72g would be small for some of those. Trimac and midas seem pretty big bodied, but maybe not. The Isletas would probably work, they dont seem like they get huge. RD seem a bit slimmer too.

I just need more activity in that tank. The del is cool but after seeing yours I realize it really deserves to live life in the 210g when it puts on a couple more inches. Maybe I need to keep the del and move him to the 210g and sell off the rest and then do a single wet pet in the 72g..... decisions, decisions.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Check out the ghost rider flowerhorn in aqua craze..... Yes a bit steep at $200
Dollars for 2.5" of fish, but the colors are amazing ( just a little hybrid jab for my non hybrid loving friend).
Too funny, I was looking at flowerhorns online today! Not that its the way I want to go but they do have a ton of personality.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This is the ghost rider:

Pretty awesome, too rich for me.

Madness

Staff member
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have a few juvenile growouts that I have bought from a couple of different sources hoping to get one with the color I want.   If you really do decide on one.ill give you one of mine! Mine aren't the Thai silk they are the king kamfa and the srd

anthony

one nice cichlid will make your tank pop! but as you bichirs get bigger they start gliding around the tank more. You should keep them until they get bigger! How about female red terror ? something with color.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
anthony said:
as you bichirs get bigger they start gliding around the tank more. You should keep them until they get bigger!
The only real active one is the del.... I really dont know how much change in activity I will see.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I do need to see pictures of the bichirs..... For reference sake(or my personal enjoyment)

A

Anonymous

DMD123,

Have you ever considered perhaps a simi planted tank with a different type of predator? Just suggesting plants for something different. Like bog woods and ferns. Then perhaps Asain needle nosed gars (Xenentodon cancila) hovering the top of the tank. Then maybe some spunky Asian simi community fish that will go with this species? Would require some research but would be interesting.