50 gal salt water set-up

lilfishie

unconv-reefer said:
I agree, nice to be able to say soemthing w/out having someone throw attitude back.
Thank You
Yeah, thats not me. You get any attitude from me, dont take it seriously. It will be all in fun! :ibox:

lilfishie

No you were right the first time. It is commonly known as blue xenia. Thats what it looks like to me. I have some anthelia too. If you would like some someday. You can come up and get it. I have a piece on a small rock with some colorful zoas. Cheep.

aaronfeeney

a friend told mre to keep this stuff isolated in a part of the tank with sand all the way around, to help keep it from spreading too far.

aaronfeeney

OK readings say amonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0 and I am getting abit of brown algae on rocks and sand. 4 days after LR.

lilfishie

Sounds like your on your way. I'm getting brown algae on the rocks in my 90 too. I added another power head for a little more flow.

aaronfeeney

I am thinking of a closed loop without drilling.If I start plumbing I'll post it. i saw something like this on a buddy system

aaronfeeney

I got snails and fish today, I got 20 snails from barrier today, some nerites and some other kind, I then stopped at sierra in renton and got a firefish goby and a scooter blenny. I read up on these when I got home, the goby will be fine , but I was unaware the scooter blenny has similar food requirements as the mandarin goby,,, crap I didn't want to deal with adding pods yet. we'll see if he'll eat anything else later, I'll try for pics when they settle in.

lilfishie

Blenny should be okay with small meaty foods. Shrimp, mysis, scallops. I freeze it and then while frozen I shave really small pieces off, thaw it in fresh water. My tail spot blenny eats frozen and small pellet food.
One thing to check is what the store is feeding them and always ask to see the fish eat. And ask how long they have had the fish. I like to know that the fish has been there for a little while and is healthy and eating. If it has only been there a day or two, or not eating yet, IMO you dont want to expose it to more stress transporting it again and acclimating it to new surroundings so soon after it was shipped to the store.

aaronfeeney

got some zoas from lilfishie the other week, added some kenya tree and athelia today and several sps and some small "might not lives",,,, meaning broken pieces of misc corals that may or may not survive, I'll try to get pics tomorrow when things settle in a bit.